2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
Wow. That is a huge number. I expected a one year deal.

Did you see the crazy contract. Only 7 mil for each year of the contract but 14 mil deferred to 2018-2025.

Heck of a lot better than the pension I'm going to get once the state government gets through shredding mine.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
Did you see the crazy contract. Only 7 mil for each year of the contract but 14 mil deferred to 2018-2025.

Heck of a lot better than the pension I'm going to get once the state government gets through shredding mine.

Seems this was a deal to save face for Boras, who not so coincidentally has a lot of clients with the Nationals.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/...y-brian-wilson/

As you know, Brian Wilson worked out for the Mets the other day. Color them unimpressed, reports Mike Puma:

According to a baseball source Tuesday, the veteran closer didn’t impress the Mets during his workout at UCLA on Saturday and wasn’t deemed worthy of a major league contract at this point in his rehab from Tommy John surgery. Wilson, the source said, wasn’t interested in a minor league deal.

“Physically, he’s not ready,” the source said. “He’s got a ways to go.”

But … he’s black ops, yes?

If that’s really the assessment — that he’s not there physically — one wonders if he’d be able to find a better situation mid-season, when lots of teams are looking for a bullpen arm.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
Saw Bryce Harper at a local Sandwich Shop in Hollywood.... He's not as big as I would expect an athlete to be. Should have grilled him about Stras haha

That's a clown question bro.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
This policy is based on the olympics where even certain levels of caffeine are banned as well. For some events the quick burst of a stimulant can be helpful.

Certainly, it is helpful and can be more or less so depending on what you're doing and how you use it. It just bothers me that this kid (much like Marcus Stroman) will be marked as a "user" now.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
Certainly, it is helpful and can be more or less so depending on what you're doing and how you use it. It just bothers me that this kid (much like Marcus Stroman) will be marked as a "user" now.

I agree. However, they are told and should know that you put nothing in your body without contacting the athletic trainer and getting it cleared. They are told this repeatedly. So when something like this happens, I really don't feel too bad.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)

Bears former QB Jim Miller is a user too, lol

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:47 AM)
Bears former QB Jim Miller is a user too, lol

again a player who put something in his body without clearing it first. While I agree he really wasn't a "user." You need to be smart about what you use and protect your job.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1488264...-in-3-team-deal

The Nationals traded slugger Michael Morse to the Seattle Mariners in a three-way trade that netted them right-hander A.J. Cole, the pitching prospect who last winter served as the centerpiece of the trade that brought Gio Gonzalez from the Oakland A’s to the Nationals. The Mariners sent catcher John Jaso to the Oakland to complete the deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
Surgery for Corey Hart, will miss the first month or so of the season.

That is a long time for the meniscus. The must be repairing it and not just doing a menisectomy. I see he had an arthoscope on this knee last year as well. He must be running short on the meniscus.

Edited by ptatc

The Dodgers have agreed with Time Warner Cable on a new television contract that will provide the team with a channel of its own, according to two people familiar with the deal but not authorized to discuss it.

Time Warner Cable now has secured the television rights to the two most popular teams in Los Angeles — the Dodgers and the Lakers — within two years.

The Dodgers’ deal is expected to be finalized and announced Thursday. The team has not yet submitted the deal to Major League Baseball for approval, but the control of the channel is expected to rest with the Dodgers’ owners rather than with Time Warner.

Link