2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
3B is a really shallow position... and a 5 WAR is a huge number. Just look at our 3B situation and tell me Prado isn't an awesome player.

Prado+Delgado is not a bad haul for an underachieving outfielder, especially when they've got Eaton rarin' to go. I like it for the Dbacks.

It's not that simple though. Prado is a guy who put up a 1.6 WAR in 590 PA as a 28 year old and then 5 WAR as a 29 year old. Calling him a 5 WAR player isn't fair, just like calling Justin Upton a 2.5 WAR player like he was last year as a 24-25 year old is a joke. Dude was a 6.4 WAR player as a 23-24 year old and his 22 year old season was 4.9 WAR. Prado's a guy 1 year from free agency who is inconsistent at the end of his prime years. Jupton is a guy 3 years from FA who had 1 down year, who has been an MVP caliber player before turning 25, who you have under affordable contract for his 25-28 year old seasons (and you have his brother until he's 30 in case you can convince him to extend for 2 years).

This honestly makes the signing of his brother look a ton better to me. That was a lot of money for a 29 year old BJ. You get Justin to extend for another year or two, or just maximize his performance a bit more from the emotional comfort, and that could be a huge move.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
It's not that simple though. Prado is a guy who put up a 1.6 WAR in 590 PA as a 28 year old and then 5 WAR as a 29 year old. Calling him a 5 WAR player isn't fair, just like calling Justin Upton a 2.5 WAR player like he was last year as a 24-25 year old is a joke. Dude was a 6.4 WAR player as a 23-24 year old and his 22 year old season was 4.9 WAR. Prado's a guy 1 year from free agency who is inconsistent at the end of his prime years. Jupton is a guy 3 years from FA who had 1 down year, who has been an MVP caliber player before turning 25, who you have under affordable contract for his 25-28 year old seasons (and you have his brother until he's 30 in case you can convince him to extend for 2 years).

This honestly makes the signing of his brother look a ton better to me. That was a lot of money for a 29 year old BJ. You get Justin to extend for another year or two, or just maximize his performance a bit more from the emotional comfort, and that could be a huge move.

Your first paragraph says exactly what I wanted to say.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)

Martin Prado WAR last few years:

29 - 6 (5.8)

28 - 2 (1.8)

27 - 5 (4.9)

26 - 3 (2.8)

Some Third Basemen Highlights in WAR in 2012:

Wright - 7.8

Headley - 7.5

Miggy - 7.2

Beltre - 6.5

Aramis - 6.5

Zimmerman - 4.5

Encarnacion - 4.4

Hanley - 3

of those guys, Headley and Aramis are not going repeat, and Beltre is getting up there these days.

all I'm saying is that you get a 3B who is capable of posting a WAR comparable with the elite players in the game, while at the WORST being a guy who gets on base and doesn't hurt you in any category (5 tool player)

on top of that you get Delgado and a slew of prospects, and you get playing time for Adam Eaton. At the worst I think it's an even trade.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:17 PM)
At the worst I think it's an even trade.

For the Braves...an even trade is fine. They fill a ton of needs with a corner OF, and they don't give up either of their top 2 pitching prospects or any of their real legit, close position prospects.

At the worst for them, they have a very solid, affordable OF, where the oldest guy is 29...with 2 guys who I could legitimately call "MVP caliber talents".

With their bullpen, and rotation...they needed a RH bat this offseason. They lost Bourn and Prado, and walk away with both Uptons. That's a team that can compete with the Nats next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
For the Braves...an even trade is fine. They fill a ton of needs with a corner OF, and they don't give up either of their top 2 pitching prospects or any of their real legit, close position prospects.

At the worst for them, they have a very solid, affordable OF, where the oldest guy is 29...with 2 guys who I could legitimately call "MVP caliber talents".

With their bullpen, and rotation...they needed a RH bat this offseason. They lost Bourn and Prado, and walk away with both Uptons. That's a team that can compete with the Nats next year.

totally agree!

and the Dbacks get to start their star outfield prospect, add pitching and organizational depth, AND get a high-caliber 3B. Win-win

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
A 3 win player's worth like $13 million a year. How much would they be "overpaying" him?

For a guy like Prado (not flashy), you technically don't want to pay him WAR market value, IMO.

I don't view market value as just using WAR dollars alone, you also have to take into consideration what the market itself thinks of a guy like Prado, whose value lies mostly in defense and not offense.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
For a guy like Prado (not flashy), you technically don't want to pay him WAR market value, IMO.

I don't view market value as just using WAR dollars alone, you also have to take into consideration what the market itself thinks of a guy like Prado, whose value lies mostly in defense and not offense.

If Prado's getting what Justin Upton got from the braves, yes, he's overpaid. If we're talking 4/$40 him, that's a good deal for him and I'd do that kind of money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)
If Prado's getting what Justin Upton got from the braves, yes, he's overpaid. If we're talking 4/$40 him, that's a good deal for him and I'd do that kind of money.

I'd say he's more likely to get 4 and 32.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
I'd say he's more likely to get 4 and 32.

which would be a steal.

he's an incredibly good ballplayer. positive oWAR and dWAR every year in the bigs, and between a 2 and 6 WAR overall? Dude gets on base, dude scores runs, dude plays great defense, and has an average 111 wRC+

$8 mill a year for that production would be crazy

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Orioles have signed Jair Jurrjens to a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

The total value could be pushed up to $4 million if Jurrjens reaches all of his incentives. The right-hander is coming off a brutal 6.89 ERA and 1.86 WHIP across 48 1/3 innings in 2012, as he hasn't been the same pitcher over the last year and a half due to a nagging knee injury. If Jurrjens can remain healthy, though, he could wind up being a nice back-end starter for the O's.

I thought this is the type of guy Coop would love to get his hands on.

Jesus, I can't believe I have to do this.

1.6 WAR in 2011

5.9 WAR in 2012

.687 OPS in 2011

.796 OPS in 2012

He also put up .32 of a win playing 92 innings (essentially 10 games) at SS, .11 of a win playing 33 innings at SS, .12 of a win playing 73 innings at 2B, .16 of a win playing 163.1 innings at 3B. He was good defensively literally everywhere last year. Nevermind that he was incredibly mediocre defensively the year before.

It's a good trade for both teams.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 04:24 AM)
Jesus, I can't believe I have to do this.

1.6 WAR in 2011

5.9 WAR in 2012

.687 OPS in 2011

.796 OPS in 2012

He also put up .32 of a win playing 92 innings (essentially 10 games) at SS, .11 of a win playing 33 innings at SS, .12 of a win playing 73 innings at 2B, .16 of a win playing 163.1 innings at 3B. He was good defensively literally everywhere last year. Nevermind that he was incredibly mediocre defensively the year before.

It's a good trade for both teams.

First I thought you were bashing Prado for being inconsistent...then you lay down the good trade for both teams line. I'm confused.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
First I thought you were bashing Prado for being inconsistent...then you lay down the good trade for both teams line. I'm confused.

His game is entirely dependent upon his average and I really don't see any reason he shouldn't hit. He's also a good defender, but not 1.7 wins good.

A 3-4 win player is about what I expect, but he's been streakier than most.

WTF

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...45464--mlb.html

The oft-injured right-hander...has fallen once again, and this time has suffered a pretty significant injury as a result.

According to Fox Sports Ken Rosenthal, the fall happened while Pavano was shoveling snow out of the driveway of his Vermont home and the unfortunate result is a ruptured spleen, which will reportedly sideline the 37-year-old for 6 to 8 weeks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
His game is entirely dependent upon his average and I really don't see any reason he shouldn't hit. He's also a good defender, but not 1.7 wins good.

A 3-4 win player is about what I expect, but he's been streakier than most.

Kinda like Rios, just not as extreme.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
seriously, how the F do you rupture your spleen shoveling snow? Only Carl Pavano

You need to fall on the left side of your abdomen. Probably on a landscape rock or something. This is really weird.