2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd to 1st fake is still a blatant balk. It's obviously never used to attempt to pick the runner off 3B, so it essentially amounts to a fake throw towards 1st (which only works about 1% of the time). It's illegal and deceptive towards a runner that is forced to make a split decision on whether to run upon contact.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Cue the "Rick Hahn is sleeping and/or dead" militia:

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal #Rays agree with free-agent 2B Kelly Johnson on one-year contract, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

Bummer. Rays make another good signing. Can't wait until Johnson hits .320 with 10 homers and then signs a $24 million contract next year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Cue the "Rick Hahn is sleeping and/or dead" militia:

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal #Rays agree with free-agent 2B Kelly Johnson on one-year contract, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

He would have been the perfect insurance for Gordon. Although I doubt Johnson would have accepted a bench or platoon role.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
He would have been the perfect insurance for Gordon. Although I doubt Johnson would have accepted a bench or platoon role.

Last year their OPSs were about the same. Johnson also struck out 160 times and is nowhere near the defender Beckham is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
3rd to 1st fake is still a blatant balk. It's obviously never used to attempt to pick the runner off 3B, so it essentially amounts to a fake throw towards 1st (which only works about 1% of the time). It's illegal and deceptive towards a runner that is forced to make a split decision on whether to run upon contact.

I've always thought that the 1st to 3rd was a blatant balk as well however, I have a question about the whole pitcher & runner thing that maybe someone can help me with. Why is it that the pitcher is not allowed to decieve the runner while the runner can make false starts and jiggle around as much as he wants to decieve the pitcher, catcher, and infielders? It just seems a little unfair fair to me. I would think that it would be better to either allow both the pitcher and runner to try and decieve each other, or niether. Actually, even though it may make the game longer, it might be pretty entertaining to watch a pitcher and a runner try to fake each other out.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
I've always thought that the 1st to 3rd was a blatant balk as well however, I have a question about the whole pitcher & runner thing that maybe someone can help me with. Why is it that the pitcher is not allowed to decieve the runner while the runner can make false starts and jiggle around as much as he wants to decieve the pitcher, catcher, and infielders? It just seems a little unfair fair to me. I would think that it would be better to either allow both the pitcher and runner to try and decieve each other, or niether. Actually, even though it may make the game longer, it might be pretty entertaining to watch a pitcher and a runner try to fake each other out.

My best guess would be that it's due to the fact that the pitcher essentially controls the flow to the game and can always throw over there no matter what. On top of that, the runner has to worry about fielders around him, the catcher after the pitch is thrown, and then what to do upon the batter making contact. At any given time, he has about 3 things he's worrying about. Meanwhile, the pitcher will likely have 1 runner (either 1st or 2nd, regardless of man on 3rd) and the hitter to worry about, and that's at the very most.

Allowing pitchers to fake throw to 1B from the set position would virutally eliminate the stolen base because it would be way too dangerous to steal any more and there'd be no inherent risk in throwing to 1B. You'd also see 1Bman playing off the base because if you can fake it to 1B, there's no point in requiring a 1B to stand there the entire time too.

I do not like the 3rd to 1st rule change whatsoever. It may frustrate you to watch since it rarely results in a pick off, but it hampers the running game for the pitcher. That fake to third may induce a baserunner who plans to steal to take off early or have to wait longer before he goes, both of which are wins for the pitcher. What will this rule change do? Save a minute on average per game? Appealing to the lowest common denominator in viewership IMO

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
I do not like the 3rd to 1st rule change whatsoever. It may frustrate you to watch since it rarely results in a pick off, but it hampers the running game for the pitcher. That fake to third may induce a baserunner who plans to steal to take off early or have to wait longer before he goes, both of which are wins for the pitcher. What will this rule change do? Save a minute on average per game? Appealing to the lowest common denominator in viewership IMO

If he wants to check the runner at 1st, he can either throw over or take his foot off the rubber.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)
If he wants to check the runner at 1st, he can either throw over or take his foot off the rubber.

It's quite different, the leg going straight up looks much more like a pitch is happening than a simple check down to 1st.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
It's quite different, the leg going straight up looks much more like a pitch is happening than a simple check down to 1st.

Which is deceptive to the runner on 1st base, hence why they are starting to call this a balk.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
Which is deceptive to the runner on 1st base, hence why they are starting to call this a balk.

Right, but Jake's point was that it hurts the pitcher vs. a base stealer immensely and why he is upset by it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
Right, but Jake's point was that it hurts the pitcher vs. a base stealer immensely and why he is upset by it.

Naturally. They are removing an obvious advantage a pitcher had, which directly influences the baserunner, thus, the baserunner will gain an advantage. It doesn't make it wrong. They haven't removed the ability for the pitcher to check on the runner - he just can't be nearly as deceptive now, which is good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
Naturally. They are removing an obvious advantage a pitcher had, which directly influences the baserunner, thus, the baserunner will gain an advantage. It doesn't make it wrong. They haven't removed the ability for the pitcher to check on the runner - he just can't be nearly as deceptive now, which is good.

If anyone really worried about it, it would work more often.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
If anyone really worried about it, it would work more often.

The idea is that they don't want to steal because it's there. If they do want to steal, they have to wait to see where he's going like he's a left handed pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale

The #Mets signed great guy LaTroy Hawkins to minor league deal w Spring Training invite

Hah, that made me giggle.

I wonder where Kyle Lohse will eventually land.