2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
What is this "qualifying offer" stuff. Why have I never heard of this before?

Not sure why you haven't heard of it, it's been going on for a long time. It used to be for the draft pick, but that has been changed somewhat with the recent CBA

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
Not sure why you haven't heard of it, it's been going on for a long time. It used to be for the draft pick, but that has been changed somewhat with the recent CBA

I just don't understand how they came up with $13.3M for every player as a "qualifying offer". Is this replacing when Type A and Type B players had to be offered arbitration, since they eliminated Elias rankings?

Ok, I found an article that helped me out. So I was right in the sense that this type of qualifying offer is brand new this year, hence why I had never heard of it before. I knew the Elias rankings and Type classes were being dropped, but I hadn't looked in to how they were being replaced. I get it now.

For anyone else confused, check this out, it summed it up pretty well.

http://stlouis.sbnation.com/cardinals-rumo...ree-agency-2013

Only other question is, can you make qualifying offers to ANY of your free agent players? Sox made no qualifying offers, but I would guess Pierzynski would have been a tough call.

Ok, I found an article that helped me out. So I was right in the sense that this type of qualifying offer is brand new this year, hence why I had never heard of it before. I knew the Elias rankings and Type classes were being dropped, but I hadn't looked in to how they were being replaced. I get it now.

For anyone else confused, check this out, it summed it up pretty well.

http://stlouis.sbnation.com/cardinals-rumo...ree-agency-2013

Only other question is, can you make qualifying offers to ANY of your free agent players? Sox made no qualifying offers, but I would guess Pierzynski would have been a tough call.

You can make a qualifying offer to any free agent that was with your team for the entire season (so Liriano and Myers don't count), but the qualifying offer has to be $13.3M, regardless of how much the player made last year. So players that don't figure to get anywhere near that much, such as AJ, will not receive a qualifying offer.

The Sox would have made one to Peavy if they hadn't gotten his deal worked out before the deadline. In theory, they could make the offer to Youkilis, but he had an option for $12M so not picking up his option and then turning around and offering him $13.3M wouldn't have made much sense.

I'd certainly love to have Hamilton. If they trade Rios , Floyd, and don't resign AJ wouldn't that be around the 25 mill Hamilton wants?

Lets say they trade Rios for some good prospects that they can package with some of our guys for Chase Headley.

Trade Floyd for a C.

Could you imagine the lineup???

De Aza

Ramirez

Hamilton

PK

Headley

Dunn

Tank

Flowers/?

Beckham

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
I'd certainly love to have Hamilton. If they trade Rios , Floyd, and don't resign AJ wouldn't that be around the 25 mill Hamilton wants?

Lets say they trade Rios for some good prospects that they can package with some of our guys for Chase Headley.

Trade Floyd for a C.

Could you imagine the lineup???

De Aza

Ramirez

Hamilton

PK

Headley

Dunn

Tank

Flowers/?

Beckham

Do not want Hamilton at $25M, and ESPECIALLY do not want Hamilton at 7 yrs. I don't even know why we are discussing this as a possibility, but the highest I'd go on Josh would be 4 yrs/$75M, and he'd never go for that.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
Do not want Hamilton at $25M, and ESPECIALLY do not want Hamilton at 7 yrs. I don't even know why we are discussing this as a possibility, but the highest I'd go on Josh would be 4 yrs/$75M, and he'd never go for that.

The per year amount is reasonable on the open market (25m). The years are just insane (7).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
The per year amount is reasonable on the open market (25m). The years are just insane (7).

4yrs/100mm would be about the max I would go (as any GM), but as GM of the Sox I wouldn't go that high as he doesn't play a position of need. It would also force a trade of Rios, and while I'm all for that I'm not sure of what value we could get back for him.

I'd rather spend the resources on a guy like Beltre.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)

If you are in to WAR, and market value per win, then you will see that Hamilton has been worth 22.4 WAR in the 5 seasons with the Rangers and has been worth $96.4 M over that time. That's a touch over $19M per year he has been worth. Given that he will turn 32 years old 6 weeks after the season starts, you would be paying him through his declining years. Do you really expect him to turn in another 5 years of EVEN BETTER production that the last 5 during seasons age 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36? I don't, and that's on just a 5 year deal.

That's why I say a MAX of 4 years and $75M would be as high as I'd willing to go. That's $18.75 AAV, or slightly less than what he's been worth so far during his prime years. I think that is fair enough in itself.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
If you are in to WAR, and market value per win, then you will see that Hamilton has been worth 22.4 WAR in the 5 seasons with the Rangers and has been worth $96.4 M over that time. That's a touch over $19M per year he has been worth. Given that he will turn 32 years old 6 weeks after the season starts, you would be paying him through his declining years. Do you really expect him to turn in another 5 years of EVEN BETTER production that the last 5 during seasons age 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36? I don't, and that's on just a 5 year deal.

That's why I say a MAX of 4 years and $75M would be as high as I'd willing to go. That's $18.75 AAV, or slightly less than what he's been worth so far during his prime years. I think that is fair enough in itself.

We are also talking about a thin free agent market, which skews numbers pretty greatly. If you look at what the top players are signing for out there, $25 isn't crazy. Prince got a shade under $24m a year. Pujols got about the same. This is before the extra $25 million a year kicking in for TV money, and factoring in that the FA market is terrible this year.

It isn't about production, it is about what one team is willing to pay Josh Hamilton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
We are also talking about a thin free agent market, which skews numbers pretty greatly. If you look at what the top players are signing for out there, $25 isn't crazy. Prince got a shade under $24m a year. Pujols got about the same. This is before the extra $25 million a year kicking in for TV money, and factoring in that the FA market is terrible this year.

It isn't about production, it is about what one team is willing to pay Josh Hamilton.

And both those deals were stupid and irresponsible. I'd rather burn a few good prospects by trading for a talented OF than dig myself in to a massive contractual obligation just because he is the only great FA outfielder. Even if the Rays had a $120M+ payroll, you would never see Andrew Friedman making an insane deal like the one Hamilton wants.

Fortunately for Josh, there are teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Dodgers who give no f***s about overspending for players, and he may just end up getting what he wants from them.