2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR

#Angels finalize Callaspo's 2-yr $8.975M deal. He'll get $4.1M in '13, $4.875M in '14, plus award bonuses.

I had been hoping trader Rick could get Alberto to the South Side. Oh well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
Everyone is good in Seattle...that's why extending Felix was ludicrous...

Maybe extending him wasnt ludicrous, extending him for THAT much is probably the ludicrous part

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Maybe extending him wasnt ludicrous, extending him for THAT much is probably the ludicrous part

I don't think they will go broke with the extension, and am sure they know its an over pay, but he is the face of a franchise that has really struggled lately. It's probably worth the extra money to keep him around rather than letting him walk or trading him, if you take those things into consideration.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
I don't think they will go broke with the extension, and am sure they know its an over pay, but he is the face of a franchise that has really struggled lately. It's probably worth the extra money to keep him around rather than letting him walk or trading him, if you take those things into consideration.

Still, this sounds like what the Twins did with Mauer (except that they were good before). That has turned into an epic disaster. This isn't to say Mauer is ineffective (quite the opposite) or that the Twins won't be good (because they can get back there), but not having that contract on the books would make it a hell of a lot easier.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
Still, this sounds like what the Twins did with Mauer (except that they were good before). That has turned into an epic disaster. This isn't to say Mauer is ineffective (quite the opposite) or that the Twins won't be good (because they can get back there), but not having that contract on the books would make it a hell of a lot easier.

In this case...it might well depend on their revenue projections. With the TV contracts coming up, it could be a helluva lot easier to afford a contract like this over the next 7 years than the last 7.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
In this case...it might well depend on their revenue projections. With the TV contracts coming up, it could be a helluva lot easier to afford a contract like this over the next 7 years than the last 7.

With the national contract, every team is getting an extra 25 million a year starting in 2014.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
With the national contract, every team is getting an extra 25 million a year starting in 2014.

A quick googling suggests that the Mariners have an out clause in their TV deal following the 2015 season. So, if they could put together a winner before then...they have a shot at some serious money there too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)

Well, if bringing in the fences does indeed negate the extreme pitchers' park Safeco has always been, then maybe it isn't as bad...although I still would have some concerns about the guy's arm...in the last few years of that deal, he's going to have a ton of mileage on him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Well, if bringing in the fences does indeed negate the extreme pitchers' park Safeco has always been, then maybe it isn't as bad...although I still would have some concerns about the guy's arm...in the last few years of that deal, he's going to have a ton of mileage on him.

His career ERA on the road is only 0.11 higher than at Safeco. Let's not act like Felix is solely a product of his home park. This ain't Clayton Richard we are talking about.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
His career ERA on the road is only 0.11 higher than at Safeco. Let's not act like Felix is solely a product of his home park. This ain't Clayton Richard we are talking about.

It's not about Felix...the point I was making was that Safeco transforms average pitchers into very good ones. Considering that, an elite arm may not have nearly the value to them that it may have to other teams...so I think a good idea would have been to trade him for some young position players with good bats, because that is obviously their organizational weakness.

Essentially, if you are long on pitching, pitching doesn't have as much value as hitting has, which they are short on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
It's not about Felix...the point I was making was that Safeco transforms average pitchers into very good ones. Considering that, an elite arm may not have nearly the value to them that it may have to other teams...so I think a good idea would have been to trade him for some young position players with good bats, because that is obviously their organizational weakness.

Essentially, if you are long on pitching, pitching doesn't have as much value as hitting has, which they are short on.

I see your point. In that park, the gap between Felix and other starters is lowered, so it makes less sense to pay him so much. Although that only accounts for half your games.

What's funny is that the Mariners were 8th in MLB in runs scored on the road last year. So either their offense was much better than we thought, or leaving Safeco gave them a breakout effect, like the opposite of what happens to the Rockies on the road.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
I'm not worried about Giambi having that much of an impact, but Dice K? That could be trouble for the Sox.

At least the Indians are TRYING to do something.

Seriously?

That 8.28 ERA he put up last year scares?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)
Of course not, that was coming off of TJ surgery. His performance in the years before he was injured scares me. Maybe it's just taking him a little longer to fully recover.

He has pitched in the majors in 6 different seasons. Only once did he have an ERA of lower than 4.40. What performance scares you? His one good year was in 2008.