2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Yea I mean, alcohol and crack cocaine abuse is bad. But are there studies out there that show they directly lead to a more injury prone athlete? I get the assumptions. That s*** ain't healthy, but what data is there to back it up?

Chronic alcohol abuse has been shown to limit healing because of abuse to the cardiovascular system with vasodialation and vasoconstriction. This limits the amount of nutrients and such that the body needs for healing.

There are studies that show marijuana decreases capacity for healing. The TCH in it really limits the inflammatory process and thus limits healing and will make injuries worse and take longer to heal. This is why you see it used for "medical purposes" in cases of chronic inflammatory conditions like glacoma.

I haven't come across any studies with cocaine but as you say it can't be good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

interesting to see #mets have parted ways with jason bay by mutual agreement.

Wow. He gave up $$$ to get out of New York.

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Anybody remember anything like Jason Bay apparently agreeing to sacrifice guaranteed negotiated $ to get out of a bad situation? A shocker!

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

The Jayson Bay buyout – or “negotiated early expiration,” per news release – is the sort of thing rarely seen in #MLB.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
What an amazing day for Jason Bay. He gets paid 100% of what he had left on his contract, and now he can sign a new contract elsewhere and get paid by both teams. He is actually going to end up with more money for being so bad.

Probably not. Most teams structure buyouts to subtract any future contracts that overlap the relevant time period. I doubt the Mets were dumb enough to not think of that.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
Huh? I don't understand how Bay won't make more money once he enters in to a new contract.

Usually buyouts work that if you go to another team, whatever they pay you is either sent to your former team, or is subtracted from what you are still owed by your former team. I don't know the language of this deal, but this is the typical structure for buyouts of guaranteed contracts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Usually buyouts work that if you go to another team, whatever they pay you is either sent to your former team, or is subtracted from what you are still owed by your former team. I don't know the language of this deal, but this is the typical structure for buyouts of guaranteed contracts.

From reading Twitter at least, it sounds like Bay will get 100% of what the Mets owe him, PLUS he can sign a contract of ANY value (not the typical league minimum that happens when player is released) and get paid that on top of what the Mets will give him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
From reading Twitter at least, it sounds like Bay will get 100% of what the Mets owe him, PLUS he can sign a contract of ANY value (not the typical league minimum that happens when player is released) and get paid that on top of what the Mets will give him.

I have seen that he gets 100% of his contract. I haven't seen that he gets to keep anything else, but like I said, I haven't seen the language of the deal yet either. That would definitely be a shock if it were true.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
I have seen that he gets 100% of his contract. I haven't seen that he gets to keep anything else, but like I said, I haven't seen the language of the deal yet either. That would definitely be a shock if it were true.

I tweeted to a few baseball experts to see if they can enlighten me. I'm sure if what I think is true, it would be mentioned by some some publication at some point.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
off season releases work a lot differently than in-season releases.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
MLB ‏@MLB

BREAKING: @Padres C Yasmani Grandal suspended 50 games without pay for testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance.

Wow. That's a top prospect for them. IIRC, he hit well with some power when he got called up this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
I have read through a couple dozen versions of this story, and I can't find one that talks about his pay next year at all.

Only thing I've seen is a tweet by Joel Sherman that says Bay can sign a contract for any amount next season, he is not constrained to the league minimum like a typical released player would be subjected to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
MLB ‏@MLB

BREAKING: @Padres C Yasmani Grandal suspended 50 games without pay for testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance.

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Gramdal statement: "I am responsible for what I put into my body. I must accept responsibility for my actions and serve my suspension."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
I tweeted to a few baseball experts to see if they can enlighten me. I'm sure if what I think is true, it would be mentioned by some some publication at some point.

Without seeing the language of the contract and subsequent buyout, it's pretty much going to be impossible to know.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
Without seeing the language of the contract and subsequent buyout, it's pretty much going to be impossible to know.

It seems like the usual course of action is just to DFA the guy, in which what happens, I believe, is if he is claimed on waivers, the team that claims him picks up the remainder of the salary owed. If he is not claimed, I believe the team that signs him can pay him the League minimum with the rest of the salary being paid by the original team he contracted with.

The fact that he was not DFA'd leads me to believe there is a different structure involved here.