2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves

A possible deal that would make sense for #Braves is Denard Span for CF/leadoff. #Twins want a pitcher; ATL has 1 or 2 they'd trade

Didn't they have a deadline deal done that Span veto'd?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
I have read through a couple dozen versions of this story, and I can't find one that talks about his pay next year at all.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

A baseball source confirmed that Bay will receive his full remaining salary ($16 million), 2014 option buyout ($3 million) and outstanding signing bonus ($2 million), but will defer a portion of that money to future years.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)

So everyone clearly expected that he would not be claimed and this option allowed them Mets to defer some of the money rather than pay it all this year when inevitably, someone would take a chance on him for the minimum salary.

Makes sense.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)

This is the part that was up for debate

Though Bay will lose some current value on the deal, which typically irks the players' union, the MLBPA approved it knowing he can recoup those dollars by signing with another team. Several rival GMs indicated Tuesday that the market for Bay should be vibrant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
This is the part that was up for debate

I believe the only current value he loses is the current value of the money, as opposed to the deferred value of the money.

To offset that, he can sign a deal for probably $1-2 million in 2013 in addition to what he will already be getting paid by the Mets.

I am surprised that is even within the bounds of the CBA.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
I believe the only current value he loses is the current value of the money, as opposed to the deferred value of the money.

To offset that, he can sign a deal for probably $1-2 million in 2013 in addition to what he will already be getting paid by the Mets.

I am surprised that is even within the bounds of the CBA.

The only thing the Players Union would fight is if he gave up any dollars over all. If he gets them now, or in the future, they can't stop.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
The only thing the Players Union would fight is if he gave up any dollars over all. If he gets them now, or in the future, they can't stop.

Yeah, I understand that...where I raised an eyebrow is that the League will allow him to essentially be drawing two full salaries in a given season simultaneously...but I suppose the deferral makes that technically untrue.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Yeah, I understand that...where I raised an eyebrow is that the League will allow him to essentially be drawing two full salaries in a given season simultaneously...but I suppose the deferral makes that technically untrue.

That's what I was saying from the beginning. Bay wins out big in this deal. He gets MORE money for being EXTRA terrible.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
That's what I was saying from the beginning. Bay wins out big in this deal. He gets MORE money for being EXTRA terrible.

Not necessarily, but certainly possible. It depends on whether the deferral causes him to lose more money than the contract he ultimately signs this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Not necessarily, but certainly possible. It depends on whether the deferral causes him to lose more money than the contract he ultimately signs this year.

Don't forget he is also saving tax money. I can't imagine inflation would cost him more money than tax free money + new contract.