Predict the Election

NorthSideSox72

Who wins the 2012 Prez Election?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the election?

• Barack Obama
    • Mitt Romney
  2. 2. What "swing" states will Obama win?

• Florida
    • Ohio
    • Pennsylvania
    • Nevada
    • Colorado
    • Iowa
    • Wisconsin
    • Virginia
    • New Hampshire
    • Michigan
  3. 3. What "swing" states will Romney win?

• Florida
    • Ohio
    • Pennsylvania
    • Nevada
    • Colorado
    • Iowa
    • Wisconsin
    • Virginia
    • New Hampshire
    • Michigan

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
But ask any actuary if they can with 100% accuracy predict when I die, and they would say no.

if i have an actuary predicting 70%-80% outcomes on a macro scale and is wrong consistently that's less than optimal. For example if I have an actuary predicting with 80% certainty that a combined loss ratio in a property/casualty cycle will be at 95% with their tables, and they miss at 105% every time... not good. But we still have random major catastrophic loses; is the tea party in 2010 Silver's cat loss? Very possible. I just need more wins from Mr.Silver before I give him his (rightful - earned) place as a statistical modeler.

anyways votes are predicted in the millions not 1 to 1. You are not predicting one persons vote, or one person to die (in your example). you are predicting the overall trend with a macro outcome which you can abstractly apply to that 1.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
To be fair, Silver isn't the only election prediction site that has Obama as favorite to win, right now, if Romney were to win in Nov. it would be seen as an upset.

I'm getting kinda tired of the hyper politics going on today, I wish the elections were held tomorrow just so we could move on...

agreed

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm not saying that with bias; It's true. The Republicans control the House and they decide an electoral tie.

dude... we have the same prediction.

on page 2

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_pred...s.php?mapid=SUY

and i have Biden as VP on page 1, per the Senate vote.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=2719140

:lol:

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
if i have an actuary predicting 70%-80% outcomes on a macro scale and is wrong consistently that's less than optimal. For example if I have an actuary predicting with 80% certainty that a combined loss ratio in a property/casualty cycle will be at 95% with their tables, and they miss at 105% every time... not good. But we still have random major catastrophic loses; is the tea party in 2010 Silver's cat loss? Very possible. I just need more wins from Mr.Silver before I give him his (rightful - earned) place as a statistical modeler.

anyways votes are predicted in the millions not 1 to 1. You are not predicting one persons vote, or one person to die (in your example). you are predicting the overall trend with a macro outcome which you can abstractly apply to that 1.

The part you seem to not understand is Im not talking about voters being 1 to 1, Im talking about the results. Silver has only predicted 1 presidential election. When you are talking about millions of people and their life expectancy, you have millions of deaths to base it on. Thus you can find trends and see if the model is working. When you have a model that can be tested only 1 time every 4 years it is almost impossible to tell if the model is working. Which is why I compared it to them predicting my death. Because they only have 1 shot at being right, not millions of deaths to be right within a certain tolerance.

More wins or losses require more games being played. When you work with actuaries you know that they need lots of results. There havent even been 100 elections, its just an impossibly small sample size with a ridiculous amount of variables. Once again, not talking about voters, talking about how many elections there are to try and gauge a model thats purpose is to predict the outcome of presidential elections.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
The part you seem to not understand is Im not talking about voters being 1 to 1, Im talking about the results. Silver has only predicted 1 presidential election. When you are talking about millions of people and their life expectancy, you have millions of deaths to base it on. Thus you can find trends and see if the model is working. When you have a model that can be tested only 1 time every 4 years it is almost impossible to tell if the model is working. Which is why I compared it to them predicting my death. Because they only have 1 shot at being right, not millions of deaths to be right within a certain tolerance.

More wins or losses require more games being played. When you work with actuaries you know that they need lots of results. There havent even been 100 elections, its just an impossibly small sample size with a ridiculous amount of variables. Once again, not talking about voters, talking about how many elections there are to try and gauge a model thats purpose is to predict the outcome of presidential elections.

bro stick with Matlock. you ain't no actuary or stats guy.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
bro stick with Matlock. you ain't no actuary or stats guy.

Dont worry, I have felled far greater trees than you. Keep your head up, there just is no way you are beating me in an internet debate. Your best line is resorting to comparing me to a famous television show, which is pretty much a compliment because (I actually have never seen the show) I am pretty sure that Matlock was successful.

Maybe next time compare me to Lionel Hutz, that would have made more sense.

This is a close election, but it could end up a lot less close than we think. I'm suspicious of Likely Voter screens which is about every poll that we see. Not because they lean Republican per se, but because part of Obama's key to victory involves registering a lot of new first time voters. It's why I think Virginia will stay blue - and although I think North Carolina and Florida will flip Republican again this year, there's a lot of evidence to point out that either of those states could be very very close.

Ultimately I think Obama with 294 EV and a razor thin popular vote margin because of the huge numbers coming in from the South for Romney.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
I think whichever side wins it is going to be by a bigger margin than anyone predicted because people are lying in polls. There is so much attention to polls I can see people making crap up just for fun.

It's all accounted for in the math :P

The election is going to come down to Ohio. If Obama wins it he is sitting pretty. If Romney wins it things will start to look bad for Obama, but he can still find 270 without it.

This is all based on Romney's ability to win Florida. If he can't do that then Obama most likely ends up with 300+.

I personally feel Romney wins Florida, Obama wins Ohio. Obama wins with 290ish EC votes.

Too much homework for me. Would be a brilliant political move, potentially. He may get shafted in turnout if things are still s***ty on election day. The only trouble is that changing the day might hurt turnout even worse.