Rick Hahn the new GM

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
The biggest issue during the news confernce was whether Hahn, who served under Williams for 12 seasons, would have final say on all baseball matters, including trades.

"It's Rick's decision until it's not," Williams said. "When it's not, we'll have to hammer it out."

Not a big fan of this quote basically says KW will have MAJOR say on every move.

After that Kenny made it clear that HE has always had to go to Jerry for any major move. Also realize that this is standard operating procedure for any other sports franchise out there. No GM has complete autonomy. If it involves adding payroll, they are running it by someone else. The whole idea that being a GM means you get to do whatever you want is reality only on your XBOX. It ranks up there with unicorns and Cubs World Series titles in terms of reality.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
After that Kenny made it clear that HE has always had to go to Jerry for any major move. Also realize that this is standard operating procedure for any other sports franchise out there. No GM has complete autonomy. If it involves adding payroll, they are running it by someone else. The whole idea that being a GM means you get to do whatever you want is reality only on your XBOX. It ranks up there with unicorns and Cubs World Series titles in terms of reality.

Nobody said KW never had to run everything by JR that is fine. Hahn will have to go through KW to even get anything to JR. I do not like this setup at all and this is a disservice to Hahn IMO. I feel Hahn has one arm tied behind his back already.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Nobody said KW never had to run everything by JR that is fine. Hahn will have to go through KW to even get anything to JR. I do not like this setup at all and this is a disservice to Hahn IMO. I feel Hahn has one arm tied behind his back already.

Yet Hahn stayed here, knowing this set up was going to be in place, when he had other opportunities to go elsewhere.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

While not painting optimistic view on bringing back AJ, Peavy, Youkilis et al, keep in mind it didn't look good for AJ last time around.

And Pierzynski and Reinsdorf have talked since season's end.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Hahn: "We haven’t gotten our final payroll number for next year, however.... ... preliminarily we expect it be right in the same neighborhood we spent in 2012."

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)

This one is for you...

Kenny Williams ‏@NotKenWilliams

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE VP BEHIND THE CURTAIN." -Rick Hahn, when asked who really has the power in the Sox front office.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)

This is true and is true in any major business decision or similar operation. It's good to get others input anyway usually.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
LMAO Mr Optimistic all the sudden has a heart pang of pessimism. Do tell, what is this information that is available to you?

The same information that is available to everyone else. That KW has been a GM for more than a decade and has won many more trades than he has lost. I have no reason to believe that a completely inexperienced Rick Hahn will be effective at the myriad of things that go into working out a trade.

The stuff today has made it completely unclear to me who has control. It does seem that to some extent JR probably wants to get further away from personnel decisions and is probably going to give KW some of the veto power that JR once held.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
The same information that is available to everyone else. That KW has been a GM for more than a decade and has won many more trades than he has lost. I have no reason to believe that a completely inexperienced Rick Hahn will be effective at the myriad of things that go into working out a trade.

The stuff today has made it completely unclear to me who has control. It does seem that to some extent JR probably wants to get further away from personnel decisions and is probably going to give KW some of the veto power that JR once held.

I remember when Schu was moved out for Kenny, there was a transition period where Schuler still took the fall for some of the deals that took place. I would imagine this is a way of trying not to totally dump on Hahn and make things too much harder than they already are.

The same guy that has been KWs right hand man in the middle of many of the trades and negotiations is completely inexperienced? Interesting

I think it is fairly clear who has the control. Hahn takes over the day to day operations and will be in charge. KW gets to do a lot more scouting and development type stuff along with Team President type things. Obviously, Kenny will have input on major trades but that was to be expected. I like the analytical shift in philosophy that I think Hahn has though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
I remember when Schu was moved out for Kenny, there was a transition period where Schuler still took the fall for some of the deals that took place. I would imagine this is a way of trying not to totally dump on Hahn and make things too much harder than they already are.

I have wondered if this is what is going on as well. Hahn can build his resume in a kind of risk-free environment

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)

As the old story goes... sit down, and write two letters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
This one is for you...

Kenny Williams ‏@NotKenWilliams

"PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE VP BEHIND THE CURTAIN." -Rick Hahn, when asked who really has the power in the Sox front office.

I hope it turns out that way!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
You hope it turns out that KW is the "wizard" controlling rick hahn the "almighty wizard hologram"?

No I am waiting to see how this turns out based on JR comments!

The White Sox announced the promotions, naming Williams executive VP and naming Hahn senior VP and general manager. Williams will "maintain oversight and final approval on major baseball decisions,” White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
I'll believe in Hahn when he comes out and decries the Dunn acquisition, the trading of Gio (second time), the whole Swisher episode, and the idiotic trade with Arizona.

Right, because a whole lot of brand new baseball execs come out and bury their bosses and organizations...