ALL CELEBRATEEEEEEEE

Noonskadoodle

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit is a team we happen to play, and when we're trying to have success, I want them to lose.

Why do I have to hate them outside of that? There's no preaching here, it's just basically some people are secure, some people need this whole thing as an outlet

Check this out: http://youtu.be/0-kCQMDpSVE

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Detroit is a team we happen to play, and when we're trying to have success, I want them to lose.

Why do I have to hate them outside of that? There's no preaching here, it's just basically some people are secure, some people need this whole thing as an outlet

Check this out: http://youtu.be/0-kCQMDpSVE

No one said you HAVE to do anything. Some people are reading way too much into a rivalry.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
I don't consider the Tigers a "rival". This isn't college football.

But hey, if you want to hate teams out of jealousy, that's your right.

Who said anything about jealousy? It's called dislike. I root against the Tigers the same way I root against the Lions, who obviously have had nothing to be jealous of. Even when the Tigers were losing 100 games, I was still rooting against them to lose more.

In a way, it reminds me of excessive celebrations in the NFL when you're losing by 35 and it's garbage time towards the end of the game.

I find it much easier to bask in the failure of individual athletes that I'm not fond of. Sometimes, a team will come along that happens to have several of those on their roster (Miami Heat). At that point it becomes something else.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 07:50 AM)
You could also compare them to the 2010-2011 Miami Heat, who fell just short because they lacked depth and got cold at the wrong time.

That comparison crossed my mind when I was thinking about the absurdity of Cabrera/Fielder/Martinez and whoever else Ilitch buys occupying at least1/3 of their batting order next year.

The main reason I hate Twins, Tigers and Indians "fans" - many of them live in Chicago, because they abandoned their cities years ago. They attend games at The Cell to root for "THEIR TEAMS". You know, the ones who play for the cities they abandoned to come live in a real one.

I loved seeing the various 40 year old female "chicagoans" with their brand spankin' new Tigers hats on the train the last two weeks.

So yeah, f*** the other teams in the AL Central. And f*** fake Chicagoans.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
The main reason I hate Twins, Tigers and Indians "fans" - many of them live in Chicago, because they abandoned their cities years ago. They attend games at The Cell to root for "THEIR TEAMS". You know, the ones who play for the cities they abandoned to come live in a real one.

I loved seeing the various 40 year old female "chicagoans" with their brand spankin' new Tigers hats on the train the last two weeks.

If I were to leave Chicago for a job elsewhere, I would not root for that new team's city.

cub fans I knew were all over rooting for the tigers just because they realize baseball is not going to be fun for a while for them.

Was really happy to see them lose. I then promptly sent them a text saying, "Cabrera and Fielder got you again."

Romo made them look sick to end that.

Edited by Harry Chappas

If I were to leave Chicago for a job elsewhere, I would not root for that new team's city.

Since leaving Chicago I have lived near DC and Cincinnati, and I do root for those teams, though the Sox are still far and away my favorite team. It's easier though since those teams are NL teams. I don't think I'd root for another AL team, and definitely not another AL Central team.

I think one of the reasons the Cubs get the majority of the transplant fans is that a lot of them are coming to Chicago from other AL Central areas, especially Michigan, so they adopt the Cubs as their favorite Chicago team since it doesn't conflict with their home team.

The Tigers, and basically all teams from Detroit make themselves really easy to root against.

If anyone else in the Central made the series, I honestly wouldn't root against them, and anyone outside of the Yankees and Red Sox I wouldn't root against either.

The Tigers and White Sox both end 2012 without a ring.

I hope this loss makes Ilitch go insane and sign Josh Hamilton to a backloaded $200 million deal and put them team into an even more dire financial situation in a few years.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)

Easy with the rage, chief.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
You better live within the city limits...

I'm not talking about a city/suburbs argument, and I think you know it.

FWIW, I currently live within 2 miles (actually 1.25) of the city limits. For 12 years, I lived on the west side of the city proper. I have lived within 2 miles of the city limits for the last 30 years.

I'm talking about other cities. People who abandon their cities for Chicago, but root against Chicago teams in a vitriolic, hypocritical way (this includes against the Bears, Blackhawks and Bulls btw) because "their team" representing "their city" is suddenly somewhat good again. These are fans of convenience who will literally ignore sports unless "their" team is suddenly in contention - and then suddenly there they are at the cell jumping on the bandwagon.

Sorry for the vitriol.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
I'm not talking about a city/suburbs argument, and I think you know it.

FWIW, I currently live within 2 miles (actually 1.25) of the city limits. For 12 years, I lived on the west side of the city proper. I have lived within 2 miles of the city limits for the last 30 years.

I'm talking about other cities. People who abandon their cities for Chicago, but root against Chicago teams in a vitriolic, hypocritical way (this includes against the Bears, Blackhawks and Bulls btw) because "their team" representing "their city" is suddenly somewhat good again. These are fans of convenience who will literally ignore sports unless "their" team is suddenly in contention - and then suddenly there they are at the cell jumping on the bandwagon.

Sorry for the vitriol.

i still root for my hometown heat here in Chicago, its the meatball bulls fans that i run into at every bar that make me hate the Bulls, not so much the team itself. it makes it easier for me to want to troll the hell out of D-bag #1 sitting front and center at the bar when he's making reference to lebrons hairline every minute and talking about how much bigger chicago is than miami.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)

Xanax time :P

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
I don't consider the Tigers a "rival". This isn't college football.

But hey, if you want to hate teams out of jealousy, that's your right.

How are they not a rival? They are the one team standing between the Sox and the playoffs. They were last year too and probably will be next year.

Also, you mean envy, not jealousy. Common misuse: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Envy_vs_Jealousy

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
How are they not a rival? They are the one team standing between the Sox and the playoffs. They were last year too and probably will be next year.

Also, you mean envy, not jealousy. Common misuse: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Envy_vs_Jealousy

Ok, envious.

I'm not big on "rivals" in baseball.

The Sox play 162 games. I hope they win 90+ and get in the playoffs.

The Tigers are just a team MLB grouped them with to create these artificial "rivalries" that I'm not buying into. It brings out the worst in fans, and I'm not going to be one of them. I want the Tigers to lose, especially when the Sox play them. But I don't hate the Tigers, and I certainly don't care what they do in the postseason, win or lose, if the Sox aren't there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Since leaving Chicago I have lived near DC and Cincinnati, and I do root for those teams, though the Sox are still far and away my favorite team. It's easier though since those teams are NL teams. I don't think I'd root for another AL team, and definitely not another AL Central team.

I think one of the reasons the Cubs get the majority of the transplant fans is that a lot of them are coming to Chicago from other AL Central areas, especially Michigan, so they adopt the Cubs as their favorite Chicago team since it doesn't conflict with their home team.

Sorry, let me clarify. If I were to leave Chicago, I wouldn't stop rooting for the White Sox. The team of your childhood is always more special.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)

Are they a rival if you keep getting owned by them?