Hurricane Sandy thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't believe this thread took so long to pop up!

hunkering down in my basement apartment... yikes.

fortunately i live in washington heights which is pretty much the highest point in Manhattan. parents and family live in Jersey, and holy crap they're gonna get hit hard. hoping their trees stay up...

I do have cat litter ready to be mcgyvered into sandbags. otherwise just stocked up on terribly unhealthy food and water. walked around outside this morning and it's pretty eerie. just quiet. not many people. which is... ya know... weird for NYC. I'm gonna be bored as hell all day till the power goes out so i'll keep updates coming

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
The satellite view of that hurricane is incredible. Perfect Storm-ish

when you combine the power of the storm, the system coming from the west that will hold it in place, hitting the most densely populated area of the country, AND the full moon high tides? just insane.

For local effect... they are now predicting that around Wednesday, there will be 20 to 30 foot waves in southern Lake Michigan, as the storm remnants cross the eastern Great Lakes and shove the water west. Could be significant lakefront flooding in Chicagoland.

Also, seperately... anyone read about the HMS Bounty? Replica ship now mostly for tourists, lost power, foundered and sank off North Carolina. 14 people had to be rescued, and 2 are missing. WTF were they even DOING out there in this?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
For local effect... they are now predicting that around Wednesday, there will be 20 to 30 foot waves in southern Lake Michigan, as the storm remnants cross the eastern Great Lakes and shove the water west. Could be significant lakefront flooding in Chicagoland.

Also, seperately... anyone read about the HMS Bounty? Replica ship now mostly for tourists, lost power, foundered and sank off North Carolina. 14 people had to be rescued, and 2 are missing. WTF were they even DOING out there in this?

Yeah, I might go get some pictures tomorrow. It is always cool when the waves are taller than the lighthouse.

Winning a Darwin Award?

They set out for Florida from Connecticut last week and were trying to go around the storm.

Sounds like the same geniuses that were on Lake Shore Drive during the blizzard

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Sounds like the same geniuses that were on Lake Shore Drive during the blizzard

Sounds like someone who doesnt drive on LSD often. LSD is generally the best road when there is a snow storm as it is easy to clean and they do it very regularly. It was a "perfect storm" that a bus went off the road at one of the worst exists, effectively shutting down the road going north. Im pretty sure there werent any issues going south, so it was literally just a fluke.

I have used the road every day for the last 7 years, at the last minute I chose not to take it because the visibility seemed extremely poor.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
Sounds like someone who doesnt drive on LSD often. LSD is generally the best road when there is a snow storm as it is easy to clean and they do it very regularly. It was a "perfect storm" that a bus went off the road at one of the worst exists, effectively shutting down the road going north. Im pretty sure there werent any issues going south, so it was literally just a fluke.

I have used the road every day for the last 7 years, at the last minute I chose not to take it because the visibility seemed extremely poor.

IIRC, it was more than just one bus. There were like 4 or 5 accidents within 30 minutes. The bus is just kinda what started it all.

This wasn't your run of the mill snow storm. Anyone jumping on LSD in the middle of that had it coming to them.

Some people started on the road before 4pm.

99.9% of the time LSD is better in a snowstorm than Stockton, Clark or any other route North from loop to the area that is East of Clark and West of LSD. Besides for taking public transportation, there were not a lot of good options.

Ive driven on all of those roads numerous times in snow, LSD is almost always the cleanest and safest.

(edit)

And I believe the bus shutdown the fullerton exit, which meant no cars were moving. Belmont and Fullerton are just terrible exits.

Edited by Soxbadger

Weren't there numerous warnings to not take LSD because of the wind surge coming off the lake? You were obviously smart enough to avoid it because of the conditions. Those people had it coming to them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
Weren't there numerous warnings to not take LSD because of the wind surge coming off the lake? You were obviously smart enough to avoid it because of the conditions. Those people had it coming to them.

Yes.