2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
MLBTR is reporting that Brandon McCarthy has drawn immediate interest from the White Sox.

If that is the case, there are multiple SPs on the block right now

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
MLBTR is reporting that Brandon McCarthy has drawn immediate interest from the White Sox.

Hahn might have been responsible for drafting him or was a major part of his development. You can never have enough pitching. Again, what a difference a year makes when talking about the off season.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Hahn might have been responsible for drafting him or was a major part of his development. You can never have enough pitching. Again, what a difference a year makes when talking about the off season.

I think Hahn has always had a hard on for him. The guy sounded like Hawk after Buehrle's perfect game when discussing him at Soxfest prior to the 2005 season. He will obviously miss starts, but if he's relatively cheap, there are worse things he could do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 07:04 AM)
I think Hahn has always had a hard on for him. The guy sounded like Hawk after Buehrle's perfect game when discussing him at Soxfest prior to the 2005 season. He will obviously miss starts, but if he's relatively cheap, there are worse things he could do.

Well said and very direct.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Sox need hitters more than anything. Speed would not hurt. If the team we have now is the team we will have next summer, it will be one of the worst offensive teams in the majors.

They're obviously not done making moves, regardless they wouldn't be one of the worst out there, thats just a troll statement.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Well said and very direct.

Why would he be relatively cheap though?

Despite the injury history he has, he's been a very solid starter the past two seasons. Given the itch for pitching most of the AL is going to seemingly have, my guess is he's not going to get less than $8-10 million a year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Sox need hitters more than anything. Speed would not hurt. If the team we have now is the team we will have next summer, it will be one of the worst offensive teams in the majors.

The offseason is two weeks old, quit crying

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)

Free agency has barely even begun. Last year's team was the 7th highest scoring offense in baseball.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Why would he be relatively cheap though?

Despite the injury history he has, he's been a very solid starter the past two seasons. Given the itch for pitching most of the AL is going to seemingly have, my guess is he's not going to get less than $8-10 million a year.

I'd give Bmac $8-10M a year. That's what Gavin Floyd is making, and I'd take BMac over Floyd easily.

Yeah, the guy has never even put together a single full season performance. Brandon has looked great since his surgery, but he has way too much left to prove for me to put much more than 5-6M a year in him.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
Great, that's all we need, a pitcher that can never stay healthy....pass....

I'm not buying the Sox, in need of some help on offense, and maybe the bullpen are going to be trying to sign McCarthy. Sure, they could sign him and move Floyd, but I think Floyd is going to be moved anyways.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
I'm not buying the Sox, in need of some help on offense, and maybe the bullpen are going to be trying to sign McCarthy. Sure, they could sign him and move Floyd, but I think Floyd is going to be moved anyways.

IMO it'd be a wise move since 3B is so thin in FA. Add to the rotation and sell off the excess for a 3B.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
If the Sox can sign McCarthy and jettison Floyd, I will be pretty giddy.

Sale

Peavy

McCarthy

Danks (Healthy)

Santiago/Quintana/Anyone

Would look pretty good.

I'd like that rotation as well.

Maybe Floyd + prospects could be packaged for a young 3B and a left-handed catcher:

Kyle Seager/John Jaso?

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 02:17 AM)
I'd like that rotation as well.

Maybe Floyd + prospects could be packaged for a young 3B and a left-handed catcher:

Kyle Seager/John Jaso?

For Floyd? Seager had a very good year last year for Seattle. Just for him, the Sox would likely have to include more than Floyd. Floyd doesn't have that much value due to his pending free agent status after 2013.

McCarthy would be a smart move.

Teams interested in him on a 1-year deal would probably be the same teams interested in Floyd on a 1-year deal. Sign McCarthy while giving up nothing, say for $8M with an option and a $1.5M buyout, and make the trade market a little better for Floyd. Turn around and trade Floyd for a prospect and a part. In total, you've picked up a prospect, a part, cut a little salary most likely, hopefully picked up an option year on a good player, and you've lost nothing. Later in the offseason you look to acquire a high quality SP prospect who is near ready, and you use that prospect, Molina, Castro, Rienzo etc. as insurance for your #5 (should be Q) and you give your youth some starts when - not if - McCarthy goes down.

The Sox need to get creative and continue to add talent. I know some teams have already traded their competitive balance lottery draft picks, but that's another potential target for the Sox. Maybe if you can't get something you really like for one of your players, you go after a team with a pick to trade and build a deal around that.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
IMO it'd be a wise move since 3B is so thin in FA. Add to the rotation and sell off the excess for a 3B.

Right. That's exactly what I've been hoping for. 3B FA market sucks. Only upgrade is going to be through trades, and a lot of teams could use a Gavin Floyd.

Maybe even do something a little crazy and see if you can somehow get 3B Jedd Gyorko from the Padres for Floyd + Morel. But I bet the Padres would rather trade Chase Headly and go younger/cheaper with the 24-year-old Gyorko who hit .311 with 30 HR and 100 RBI in AA and AAA last year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
Yeah, the guy has never even put together a single full season performance. Brandon has looked great since his surgery, but he has way too much left to prove for me to put much more than 5-6M a year in him.

If you signed him for 3/$18 or so I think it would be one hell of a deal...I don't think it's happening.