2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

3B is #chisox area of focus, and they're talking to youkilis. They loved him in clubhouse. Indians, phils in mix.

Bleeeh. Youkilis would be alright, but I really want them to put their foot on the gas and find a longer term replacement, who can be a vital weapon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
Who is this miracle 3B you speak of?

I agree on this. We have heard the exorbitant cost for Headley. Moustakas is a pipe dream. If Youkilis is willing to come back, that's the move I'd make. With Dunn and PK on this roster still, the Sox have to make an effort to compete. This would also give them some more time to find the long term answer at 3B.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
I agree on this. We have heard the exorbitant cost for Headley. Moustakas is a pipe dream. If Youkilis is willing to come back, that's the move I'd make. With Dunn and PK on this roster still, the Sox have to make an effort to compete. This would also give them some more time to find the long term answer at 3B.

Honestly, unless there is some miracle deal that comes together, there aren't any taylor made 3B out there for the Sox to grab. They are going to have to give up something big to get a 3B that will be around for years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Honestly, unless there is some miracle deal that comes together, there aren't any taylor made 3B out there for the Sox to grab. They are going to have to give up something big to get a 3B that will be around for years.

Yeah, the idea of us getting Moustakas is hilarious, Headley only slightly less so.

As far as complete speculation goes, I like the idea of us moving Floyd and cash (and maybe some other prospect) to San Diego to get Gyorko. San Diego's moves indicate that they are moving toward contention (extending Street and Quentin, not moving Headley), and Gavin owuld KILL in Petco when lefties can't homer off of him. Gyorko is substantially worse than Headley, but would make a ton fo sense for the Sox.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm valuing Floyd too highly, but that scenario, to me, at least seems somewhat plausible.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Yeah, the idea of us getting Moustakas is hilarious, Headley only slightly less so.

As far as complete speculation goes, I like the idea of us moving Floyd and cash (and maybe some other prospect) to San Diego to get Gyorko. San Diego's moves indicate that they are moving toward contention (extending Street and Quentin, not moving Headley), and Gavin owuld KILL in Petco when lefties can't homer off of him. Gyorko is substantially worse than Headley, but would make a ton fo sense for the Sox.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm valuing Floyd too highly, but that scenario, to me, at least seems somewhat plausible.

You aren't valuing Floyd too highly but it's probably the wrong team. San Diego will probably play Gyorko at 2B if they keep Headley. Also, I don't think SD would want 1 year of Floyd at $9.5 million. Granted, that is a bargain, I think they want cost controllable arms with years of arbitration still coming.

Also, what does everyone think of rumor that Arizona is thinking of dealing Trevor Bauer? I know the main concerns are C and 3B but if they could get Bauer at a decent price, it's something I'd look into. He is really weird and has strange training methods but I think he's a future ace. I might be crazy though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
You aren't valuing Floyd too highly but it's probably the wrong team. San Diego will probably play Gyorko at 2B if they keep Headley. Also, I don't think SD would want 1 year of Floyd at $9.5 million. Granted, that is a bargain, I think they want cost controllable arms with years of arbitration still coming.

Yeah, I don't know if it adds up quite right, but they need pitching so badly. I agree that if they do keep Gyorko, they'll move him to 2B, but I don't know that doing that makes them better than moving Gyorko for pitching would. I mean, they're using Eric Stults right now. And, many aren't sure if Gyorko is a great fit at 2B.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)

Some speculation the Sox may be interested,in Logan Forsythe who appears to be the odd man out in SD.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Who is this miracle 3B you speak of?

"Miracle 3B"??

I don't know what that means, but 3B I would consider myself pleased with acquiring.....

Mike Moustakas

Chase Headley

Jedd Gyorko

Adrian Beltre

Ryan Zimmerman

Hanley Ramirez

Pedro Alvarez

David Freese

Brett Lawrie

(Going to class, let me edit this with more soon)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
"Miracle 3B"??

I don't know what that means, but 3B I would consider myself pleased with acquiring.....

Mike Moustakas

Chase Headley

Jedd Gyorko

Adrian Beltre

Ryan Zimmerman

Hanley Ramirez

Pedro Alvarez

David Freese

Brett Lawrie

The odds of this actually able to happen? About the same as a balanced federal budget in 2013.

"Miracle 3B"??

Mike Moustakas

Chase Headley

Jedd Gyorko

Adrian Beltre

Ryan Zimmerman

Hanley Ramirez

Pedro Alvarez

David Freese

Brett Lawrie

Lol, everyone on that list is untouchable except MAYBE Gyorko.

"Miracle 3B"??

Mike Moustakas

Chase Headley

Jedd Gyorko

Adrian Beltre

Ryan Zimmerman

Hanley Ramirez

Pedro Alvarez

David Freese

Brett Lawrie

:lolhitting

To add to the list.....

Mike Moustakas

Chase Headley

Jedd Gyorko

Adrian Beltre

Ryan Zimmerman

Hanley Ramirez

Pedro Alvarez

David Freese

Brett Lawrie

Edwin Encarnacion

Anthony Rendon

Nolan Arenado

Kyle Seager

There you go. There are about 13 players that I would consider significant upgrades at the 3B position. Any stop-gap or fringy 3B would disappoint.

With the trade rumors swirling about De Aza, we would need a CF to replace him. Here is a list of the CFs I think would be a solid upgrade, all other options would be pointless stopgaps:

Willie Mays

Joe DiMaggio

Mickey Mantle

Ken Griffey Jr.

Ty Cobb

Duke Snider

Tris Speaker

Kirby Puckett

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Cool article about how close the Sox were to being in the South Loop, not once, but twice.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/11/9/3619970/south-loop-sox

the article has a major problem: Daley I was never interested in the Roosevelt Rd project. He always had his sights on Northerly Island(which eventually became Meigs Field). But that was ONLY if the Sox left his native Bridgeport/Armour Square neighborhood.

Also of note, Daley I also began construction of the Dan Ryan as well as the CTA line we now know as the southern portion of the Red Line. In a way, he was handcuffing the Sox to that site, as we found out in the 80's when Thompson and the state forced jerry and co. to stay put.

ALSO, last I checked, Clark and Roosevelt is not one of the hottest neighborhoods in town. It only has a Target. LITERALLY.

Edited by ewokpelts