2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sox faithful are so lucky

We get teams built to win now, we dont really come out in droves

I love where we're at. Every fanbase should have rich crazy people running their teams...i wish that upon everyone

I cant lie and there's no green involved here

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Hahn on Pierzynski: "I think that's another FA market at the top end AJ will have a little clarity to what his market is like."#WhiteSox

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Hahn said Youkilis market is still coming together as well. #WhiteSox continue to monitor the situation.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #WhiteSox exploring addition of starting pitcher, lower-end type at the right price. Would give them flexibility to trade Floyd.

Although they have some decent depth after Peavy & Sale with Danks hopefully on his way back followed by Floyd and Quintana with Santiago in the mix as well, they do have to be extremely careful with this rotation. Sale and Peavy both have durability issues (although last year went well), Danks is an unknown and Quintana in my opinion is more likely to be a gas can. Perhaps adding another lower end arm to the mix will help if the Sox do decide to occasionally use a 6 man rotation type at times.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
Although they have some decent depth after Peavy & Sale with Danks hopefully on his way back followed by Floyd and Quintana with Santiago in the mix as well, they do have to be extremely careful with this rotation. Sale and Peavy both have durability issues (although last year went well), Danks is an unknown and Quintana in my opinion is more likely to be a gas can. Perhaps adding another lower end arm to the mix will help if the Sox do decide to occasionally use a 6 man rotation type at times.

Even if Quintana is a gas can this year, the Sox still have the makings of a substantial amount of pitching depth in their upper minors, when you count Castro, Santiago, and Rienzo, with Johnson probably a bit farther behind. They might not all succeed, but they're all at about the place where they could reasonably compete for a rotation spot already. So you don't have to have a lot of confidence in each individual guy, but there's talent that can step in if people do become unreliable and hopefully gain experience/give some tolerable outings as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Even if Quintana is a gas can this year, the Sox still have the makings of a substantial amount of pitching depth in their upper minors, when you count Castro, Santiago, and Rienzo, with Johnson probably a bit farther behind. They might not all succeed, but they're all at about the place where they could reasonably compete for a rotation spot already. So you don't have to have a lot of confidence in each individual guy, but there's talent that can step in if people do become unreliable and hopefully gain experience/give some tolerable outings as well.

So is Leesman another Axelrod type who despite his good numbers in AAA we still don't think he's legit?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
So is Leesman another Axelrod type who despite his good numbers in AAA we still don't think he's legit?

You can feel free to add those 2 to the list as well...basically, you've got 6 candidates who could pitch in a pinch, a couple of whom are probably going to wind up contributing in the bullpen...even if you don't have a Chris Sale immediate star in there...that's a lot of usable arms.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Brian Wilson is a FA now, would be interested to see what the market is for him as he's coming off an injury

I've mentioned his name before this offseason. I'd love to have him close, he's a player who can generate some buzz for the team just being who he is. I hope JR would let him keep his beard.

Picking him up would open the door to trade Crain, who I'm a fan off but I think he can also bring back a good piece.

CL-Wilson RH

SU-Reed RH

SU-Thornton/Veal LH

MR-Jones RH

MR-Veal/Septimo/?? LH

LR-Omogrosso RH

LR-Leesman/Septimo/Rodriguez LH

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 06:21 AM)
Anyone expecting the Sox to make any significant moves this week during the Winter Meetings?

I don't think anyone can predict with any certainty what the White Sox will do. Usually, their moves don't leak until after the fact.

I do think they are still hoping to resign Kevin Youkalis and some of their other action (which may be limited overall because of their limited financial flexibility) may be waiting that out.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 07:00 AM)
I don't think anyone can predict with any certainty what the White Sox will do. Usually, their moves don't leak until after the fact.

I do think they are still hoping to resign Kevin Youkalis and some of their other action (which may be limited overall because of their limited financial flexibility) may be waiting that out.

I'd expect (and hope) the signing of Youkilis before AJ. I like AJ, but the hole at 3B looks a lot worse without someone like Youkilis. I think Flowers would be okay as the starting catcher. The Sox just don't have anyone in house who can take over 3B.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 07:09 AM)
I'd expect (and hope) the signing of Youkilis before AJ. I like AJ, but the hole at 3B looks a lot worse without someone like Youkilis. I think Flowers would be okay as the starting catcher. The Sox just don't have anyone in house who can take over 3B.

I think their preference is to bring back Youkalis, but they probably don't (and won't) be able to match what a few of these clubs could offer. AJ seems unlikely to return, but I wouldn't completely rule it out until it's official.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 06:21 AM)
Anyone expecting the Sox to make any significant moves this week during the Winter Meetings?

Not really. They are pretty payroll stretched, and the guys that they would like to trade are going to bring massive hauls. I feel like we will see some sideways moves to move areas of strength for areas of weakness.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
With the Red Sox signing Napoli doesn't a trade for Ryan Lavarnway make at least some sense for this club? I know he's a bad defensive catcher, but there just isn't that much out there.

Doesn't Lavarnway seem to project as less than Flowers.

I don't know enough about him to evaluate but based on numbers, it seems like Flowers is actually the closer candidate between these two.