2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:35 AM)
Doesn't Lavarnway seem to project as less than Flowers.

I don't know enough about him to evaluate but based on numbers, it seems like Flowers is actually the closer candidate between these two.

Less power, but he's a left handed hitter. Defense is average on his best day as well. I just think t this point it's better than paying for catching via free agency.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
Sox are interested in bringing back Brandon McCarthy. Perfect fit IMO.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2012/12/04/w..._medium=twitter

Trade Floyd and take McCarthy for a 2 year 12.5 million contract.

Put the other 3M towards a 3rd baseman... or have Jerry pony up some more to resign AJ.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
So it's looking like it will be difficult to find a LH hitting 3B and outside of an AJ return it looks like this lineup might have a grand total of 2 LH hitters, and the both hit high in the lineup.

Does that happen a lot?

Yes

The White Sox had 3 in 2005, but had Thomas been healthy all year, he would have replaced Everett

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...rce=twitterfeed

Ventura: Dunn likely to see more time at first

December 4, 2012, 10:10 pm

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Adam Dunn is likely to log more time at first base next season in an attempt to lighten Paul Konerko’s workload.

White Sox manager Robin Ventura said that’s the plan for now several months before the club heads to Glendale, Ariz. for spring training. Ventura addressed that and several other topics when he addressed the media for 15 minutes on Tuesday at Day 2 of the winter meetings.

Konerko, who is headed into the final season under contract, turns 37 in March.

“I think that will probably happen,” Ventura said. “I think, for Paulie, what goes through the course of the year is a lot. It’s a lot to have him be the everyday first baseman. I think Adam proved to be at the end he can play first base and give Paulie more time and when you get to that age, not that he’s done by any means, it’s going to help him to have time off and not be on his feet so much.”

Dunn made 52 appearances at first base for the White Sox last season.

He finished the season with an ultimate zone rating -- a metric that measures how many runs a player saves per season over an average defender at that position -- of 0.4. Prior to 2012, Dunn’s season-best UZR at first base (in more than 100 innings) was -3.1 in 2010.

“He’s athletic,” Ventura said. “That’s another part of it. You’re not sticking a guy over there who can’t play. He can play. So getting him committed to do it isn’t going to be hard to do. He likes being on the field.”

Ventura said he’s on board with it if the White Sox opt to make Tyler Flowers the starting catcher next season. Flowers’ defensive skills and game-calling are solid, though Ventura wants to see what the backstop’s bat can produce with regular plate appearances.

“You’re going to be comfortable,” Ventura said. “If that’s what happens, just seeing Tyler, you’re just going to have to give him at-bats and I think he needs more at-bats for us to have a very good sense of what he’s going to be offensively.”

Ventura already has a good sense of what to expect from John Danks and his rehab from an Aug. 6 shoulder surgery: a pitcher determined to help out the club as soon as possible. With that in mind, Ventura plans to make certain Danks is ready before he gets back on the mound.

“I would like to be very cautious with him because he wants to pitch,” Ventura said. “He’s that kind of kid that having been hurt for the whole year, he wants to pitch as fast as he can. But I think for us knowing what kind of pitcher he is, you have to be careful to make sure he’s 100 percent healthy when he comes back.”

Dunn did surprisingly well at 1B last year. I have no problem with him getting more time there.

Yeah, Dunn does't pick the throws in the dirt quite as well as Paulie, but he also has a bit more range so it more or less evens out.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
I guess i should probably get ESPN insider, I think this about the 3rd time I've asked what was said on there.

Article they got up now says "The White Sox could hit the trade route soon." and tags Floyd and Beckham. Wonder if there's anything worth noting in there.

Don't waste your money, anything they come up with are either regurgitated from free sources or it's mere speculation, and none of those ESPN guys are trustworthy enough to listen to.

I guess i should probably get ESPN insider, I think this about the 3rd time I've asked what was said on there.

Article they got up now says "The White Sox could hit the trade route soon." and tags Floyd and Beckham. Wonder if there's anything worth noting in there.

If ESPN ever actually manages to say anything interesting in their insider articles, it gets a mention on mlbtraderumors.com, so no need to shell out the cash.

Did anybody watch the 30 for 30 movie 'You Don't Know Bo' Saturday night? I recorded it, but because the Heisman presentation ran over by 8 minutes, I didn't have the last 8 minutes of the movie, and that was right at the part where Bo started playing for the Sox. Just wondering what all was said/shown about his season with the Sox.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
Did anybody watch the 30 for 30 movie 'You Don't Know Bo' Saturday night? I recorded it, but because the Heisman presentation ran over by 8 minutes, I didn't have the last 8 minutes of the movie, and that was right at the part where Bo started playing for the Sox. Just wondering what all was said/shown about his season with the Sox.

It was pretty brief. Just that he signed with the Sox, and when he came back from the hip replacement, he hit a homer in his first game back...and they showed that.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
What SP depth?

Look around the league. Might only be a few other teams with as much, or more, starting depth than the Sox have. I know you have a hard time believing that, but in case you need more proof... notice that when GM's call the Sox, they are calling about the pitching depth. Are they all blind?

Jake Peavy, Chris Sale, John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Jose Quintana, Hector Santiago, Simon Castro, Dylan Axelrod, Andre Rienzo, Nestor Molina (if you really want to stretch).

There is SP depth. It's not all good, but there is depth.

IMO, accumulating SP depth is the best way to run your system. You have excess talent at 1B, and maybe your market is 3-4 teams. You have excess talent at SP, your market is just about everybody, so you get better returns in your trades.

Just a quick question here ... Has anyone heard anything about this Mexican singer that died in a plane crash a day or two ago, Jenni Rivera ... being Estaban Loaiza's wife? I thought I saw it mentioned online while at work, but work interferred and I lost it.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Just a quick question here ... Has anyone heard anything about this Mexican singer that died in a plane crash a day or two ago, Jenni Rivera ... being Estaban Loaiza's wife? I thought I saw it mentioned online while at work, but work interferred and I lost it.

Yeah, they were married for a few years, 2010-October of this year

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Jake Peavy, Chris Sale, John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Jose Quintana, Hector Santiago, Simon Castro, Dylan Axelrod, Andre Rienzo, Nestor Molina (if you really want to stretch).

There is SP depth. It's not all good, but there is depth.

If its not good, its not depth.