2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
The day the Sox stop wearing black and silver is the day I stop being a white sox fan.

Seriously, why are a lot of people unappreciative of the iconic uniforms the sox wear right now?

Why do people want the white sox to wear blue???

Hell, it was nauseating last season when I had to put up with the sox wearing those stupid red uniforms on Sunday home games. It really did piss me off, because Sunday games were games I was able to watch on tv during my hectic schedule, and I get confronted with them wearing stupid red uniforms that the Red Sox should be wearing.

I hope you're kidding about quitting being a Sox fan because of a uniform change because that's ridiculous.

Did I quit being a fan when the Sox started wearing the powder blue uniforms in 1964 or whenever it was? No. I actually kinda liked 'em. I loved the red uniforms of the Dick Allen era. That just happened to be my favorite Sox era anyway. I wasn't too fond of the old-style uniforms Bill Veeck changed to in 1976, though I did like the old-school lettering. Again, I didn't like the uniform change in 1982 though I was happy for a change, just didn't like the uniform they decided on.

I think it's pretty dumb to get upset about throwback uniforms that are worn once in awhile. Guess you don't really appreciate White Sox history.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
The day the Sox stop wearing black and silver is the day I stop being a white sox fan.

That's odd, since the White Sox, more than any organization, have changed their uniform/logo/color set. It's actually more White Sox to change the black and silver. (silver, wtf, do you mean gray?)

The White Sox were more associated with red and blue than black and white for almost their entire history.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/uniforms.jsp

1906 - white and blue

1912 - white and navy blue

1917 - white and navy blue

1932 - white, blue, red, yellow, fugly

1939 - white and red

1951 - white, black, and red - basically today's uniforms with red outlines

1969 - white and blue

1971 - white and red

1976 - white and blue and collared and shorts and just f***ing terrible!

1982 - white, red, blue

1991 and on - white, black, gray (and sometimes sleeveless)

To say you'll stop being a Sox fan if they change their uniform color scheme, when it's only been black/gray for 15% of the franchise's history, shows two things - 1 your ties to the Sox clearly aren't deep, 2 you are clueless on Sox history

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
That's odd, since the White Sox, more than any organization, have changed their uniform/logo/color set. It's actually more White Sox to change the black and silver. (silver, wtf, do you mean gray?)

The White Sox were more associated with red and blue than black and white for almost their entire history.

1906 - white and blue

1939 - white and red

1969 - white and blue

1971 - white and red

1982 - white, red, blue

To say you'll stop being a Sox fan if they change their uniform color scheme, when it's only been black/gray for 15% of the franchise's history, shows two things - 1 your ties to the Sox clearly aren't deep, 2 you are clueless on Sox history

Thank you. The Silver thing has always been weird. Maybe in the early 90's it was a little more silver, but it's just grey now and even that is just the outline of the logo on the home whites.

I imagine this weird hated of blue comes from the fact that the Cubs also wear blue....

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)

1906 - white and blue

1939 - white and red

1969 - white and blue

1971 - white and red

1982 - white, red, blue

1987 - white, red, blue (pigtail!)

http://www.halloffamememorabilia.com/image...rd-aw-47339.jpg

Don't forget the above unis.

I won't quit being a fan, but I really like our current uni's above all other ones we've had. That said, I like the Sunday alternates every year and I wouldn't mind seeing us bust out more retro uniforms or other types of things.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)

1906 - white and blue

1939 - white and red

1969 - white and blue

1971 - white and red

1982 - white, red, blue

I'm well aware of the white sox history, it's just that I always hated all those uniforms that had light blue and red colors. Plus, I started being a Sox fan around 1993 or so when Mike LaValliere was the catcher, so for the entire time I was a Sox fan, they always wore black and silver/grey or whatever you want to call that color.

Part of what appealed to me as a Sox fan IS the jersey color, and for me there was always a symbollic partnership with the black sox uniform and the South Side of Chicago. Honestly, I just can't see it any other way now. The sox had so many different uniforms all these years because they never had anything that was worthy enough to stick, nothing that was iconic enough to stay. Pretty much all the past Sox uniforms were garbage, and I'm saying that as a long-time sox fan. It wasn't until 1991 in the White Sox's long history that someone with artistic talent finally designed a Sox uniform that represents the South Side very well and looks very sharp to the eye. The current Sox uniforms, had they been introduced in the 1910's, would've been the Sox uniforms for a century now like how the Yankees pretty much used the same uniforms for a century.

You just don't change a uniform once you find something that works. That's just a collossal marketing mistake, and it's bound to piss off thousands of fans who feel that the current uniforms are too iconic to change now.

Besides, if there was anything I'd change at all with any of the uniforms, I'd change how the road grey Sox uniform has that ugly cursive lettering for Chicago to something that looks more old-fashioned like CHICAGO in standard text, like how the Yankees and Boston has old-styled text on their uniforms.

So yea, I've always been aware of all the past Sox uniforms, and I think they were all UGLY. The only thing I liked about any of the past uniforms were the Sox logo on the 1912 and 1917 uniforms.

And not only that, but as a fan I feel that if the Sox ownership changed their uniforms now, such as getting rid of the black and grey colors, that it would be a huge BETRAYAL to the fanbase. It's not like the Sox are moving to another city like how the Marlins moved to Miami. So I do consider my ties to the Sox to be deep if I get that offended by the Sox changing their uniforms to something dumb like what they had from 1906-1911 and 1932-1990.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 01:17 AM)
I'm well aware of the white sox history, it's just that I always hated all those uniforms that had light blue and red colors. Plus, I started being a Sox fan around 1993 or so when Mike LaValliere was the catcher, so for the entire time I was a Sox fan, they always wore black and silver/grey or whatever you want to call that color.

Part of what appealed to me as a Sox fan IS the jersey color, and for me there was always a symbollic partnership with the black sox uniform and the South Side of Chicago. Honestly, I just can't see it any other way now. The sox had so many different uniforms all these years because they never had anything that was worthy enough to stick, nothing that was iconic enough to stay. Pretty much all the past Sox uniforms were garbage, and I'm saying that as a long-time sox fan. It wasn't until 1991 in the White Sox's long history that someone with artistic talent finally designed a Sox uniform that represents the South Side very well and looks very sharp to the eye. The current Sox uniforms, had they been introduced in the 1910's, would've been the Sox uniforms for a century now like how the Yankees pretty much used the same uniforms for a century.

You just don't change a uniform once you find something that works. That's just a collossal marketing mistake, and it's bound to piss off thousands of fans who feel that the current uniforms are too iconic to change now.

Besides, if there was anything I'd change at all with any of the uniforms, I'd change how the road grey Sox uniform has that ugly cursive lettering for Chicago to something that looks more old-fashioned like CHICAGO in standard text, like how the Yankees and Boston has old-styled text on their uniforms.

So yea, I've always been aware of all the past Sox uniforms, and I think they were all UGLY. The only thing I liked about any of the past uniforms were the Sox logo on the 1912 and 1917 uniforms.

And not only that, but as a fan I feel that if the Sox ownership changed their uniforms now, such as getting rid of the black and grey colors, that it would be a huge BETRAYAL to the fanbase. It's not like the Sox are moving to another city like how the Marlins moved to Miami. So I do consider my ties to the Sox to be deep if I get that offended by the Sox changing their uniforms to something dumb like what they had from 1906-1911 and 1932-1990.

:huh

If they changed uniforms it would weed out real fans from "fashion fans" (probably more of an issue for me in California, than in Chicago)

So many times I see guys in Sox hats and want to say something, but there are tell tale signs to keep my mouth shut. Chief among them: Flat Bill, Wearing Crooked, and/or sticker still left on.

If I see a guy with a kind of worn down hat with the bent bill, I can make a pretty good guess that he's an actual Sox fan and not just wearing it cause it's "cool"

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Yea. I have no idea how southsider didn't get that from my post. I'm stumped.

I understood what you meant because you were talking about uniform changes, and the Marlins changed their uniforms when they moved into their new stadium and changed their name to the Miami Marlins. Actually, I'm sure just about everyone understood what you meant.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Yea. I have no idea how southsider didn't get that from my post. I'm stumped.

When I think of moving to a different City, I don't think of staying in the same market. It sounds like the Expos moving to Washington.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
Coop'll fix him. Quintana 2.0 etc.

Sickels on Brackman:

6) Andrew “The Scranton Horror” Brackman, RHP, Grade B-: 7.26 ERA with 58/69 K/BB in 76 innings for Scranton, 71 hits allowed. He is hounded by abominable, eldritch control problems, like insane flute music pulsating with a mind-bending disharmony of universal, ultimate chaos. Those who ruminate overmuch on the chthonic mysteries of Andrew Brackman’s career put their sanity at risk, as their mental boundaries melt under the hideous assault of such an unspeakable waste of talent and money. Ia! Shub-Niggurath! Ia! Ia! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Walks!