2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So someone on Reddit pointed this sad but funny anecdote: At Soxfest, an official MLB game ball cost about $13 at most stands. The poster found an official MLB game ball autographed by Brian Anderson for $8. Brian Anderson's autograph is worth -$5. Poor guy!

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
So someone on Reddit pointed this sad but funny anecdote: At Soxfest, an official MLB game ball cost about $13 at most stands. The poster found an official MLB game ball autographed by Brian Anderson for $8. Brian Anderson's autograph is worth -$5. Poor guy!

Autographed erased = $13 ball again.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
Wonder what the hell the problem is between them? I guess I never really noticed anything specific.

Hawk has an ego because he's been there forever, yet Stone gets random time off and special treatment.

Dave Schoenfield's (ESPN Blogger) take on the 2013 White Sox.

The White Sox seem to be overlooked every year, but they're usually in the race or on the fringes of it. Last year, they played with the Tigers until losing 10 of 12 in late September.

The Tigers will once again be heavy favorites in the Central and, on paper, it appears the White Sox don't match up. They'll be relying on an aging core of sluggers, two starting pitchers with health problems and one who has to prove he can turn into a consistent 200-inning pitcher. In the end, I'm left with the same question I posed earlier: Who is supposed to play better on this team? Because I see several candidates ripe for regression.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
Again, I agree.

I personally think he's underselling the potential improvements already there...but then, it really is hard to fathom how truly bad the White Sox's 3b position was last year...and I'm hoping we know more about Viciedo than what the raw numbers tell, and more about Konerko than the age tells.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Given that the bench doesn't show up, presumably they're just highlighting the key players.

I'd say Lindstrom is pretty key to the bullpen. Moreso than Veal I think...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 06:22 PM)
B- for pitching? The staff deserves at least a B.

It's an A- level staff if it's healthy, an A staff if the bullpen develops.

The key clause is how you rate the odds of it staying healthy. I could see people putting us much lower than that. Last year they were a C+ staff in my view, they're above average, but they were only barely above average in the AL.

IMO Viciedo, Quintana, Beckham, and Veal all provide reasons for hope. And I know everyone is down on Beckham, but he seems to be doing well under Manto & he's a good kid with the right work ethic.

OTOH, omit Dunn's 2011 entirely and he's still been on the slide for a while. I expect worse out of him. AJ to Flowers, at best, is a slight loss due to Flowers' D, but it's probably a big gap in the end. AJ's arm aside, our entire organization has been s*** managing against the running game for how many years now? AJ's arm has been way overstated.

Alexei may go up a little, Alex a little down, and in the end maybe there's a wash, but I could also see Alex falling apart again and Alexei staying right where he is, which is overall a substantial loss. ADA should be right about at his ceiling now. If he sustains it, great, but he's no shoe-in for another good year. Peavy and Sale could, combined, equal or slightly improve on their numbers. The bullpen is all wildcards really outside of a couple vets in Thornton and Crain, i.e. there is some definite talent there and reason for optimism but it's still a Major League bullpen with a lot of pre-arb parts.

The biggest gain is a healthy John Danks and a potentially a rededicated contract year Gavin Floyd pitching out of 2 spots that were pretty much garbage the whole of last year.

All in all, I don't see us doing anything in the end. Hopefully Detroit chokes on itself again so baseball is fun through the summer, otherwise I expect this team to pass through the deadline as just good enough to keep all the parts we should have already traded.

Again, don't underestimate how truly bad our 3b position was last year. Over the whole season we got a .600 OPS out of third with crappy defense on top of it. If Keppinger has a weak season for him, he's still likely to put up an OPS > 100 points better, as well as giving better defense.

That is a huge potential upgrade.