2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Predicted Standings 2013

1. Detroit Tigers (95-67)

2. Kansas City Royals (82-80)

3. Chicago White Sox (79-83)

4. Cleveland Indians (74-88)

5. Minnesota Twins (65-97)

The Tigers remain the class of the AL Central, and after needing a strong late-season push to overcome the White Sox last season I expect them to run away with the division this year.

The Royals have completely overhauled their starting rotation with the additions of James Shields, Wade Davis and Ervin Santana as well as the re-signing of Jeremy Guthrie. If their young hitters can take another step forward combined with the new staff they could put together their first winning season since 2003.

The White Sox collapsed down the stretch last year to miss out on the postseason, and there is always the threat of guys like Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Jake Peavy regressing after bounce-back seasons last year.

The Indians added some solid veteran pieces this offseason, highlighted by Nick Swisher, Mark Reynolds and Brett Myers and that should make for a solid upgrade over their 68 wins from last year and put some distance between themselves and the Twins for last place.

Per Bleacher report

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Until the Royals can prove they can beat ANYONE ELSE, they aren't gonna finish ahead of the White Sox. Ever.

Flavor of the month. This reminds me of when a pretty respected writer wrote that the Indians should have sold their farm system last year even though they'd gotten ridiculously lucky (like their being 10 games over nevermind a run differential of like -20).

The Royals have a little more talent then that, but, IMO, the Royals have a bigger bust percentage than the White Sox do, and I think the Sox have a higher ceiling as well as expectation too. It's going to be funny when the Royals finish 3rd or 4th this year.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Predicted Standings 2013

The Tigers remain the class of the AL Central, and after needing a strong late-season push to overcome the White Sox last season I expect them to run away with the division this year.

The Royals have completely overhauled their starting rotation with the additions of James Shields, Wade Davis and Ervin Santana as well as the re-signing of Jeremy Guthrie. If their young hitters can take another step forward combined with the new staff they could put together their first winning season since 2003.

The White Sox collapsed down the stretch last year to miss out on the postseason, and there is always the threat of guys like Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Jake Peavy regressing after bounce-back seasons last year.

The Indians added some solid veteran pieces this offseason, highlighted by Nick Swisher, Mark Reynolds and Brett Myers and that should make for a solid upgrade over their 68 wins from last year and put some distance between themselves and the Twins for last place.

Per Bleacher report

I think 95 wins for the Tigers is a bit high, but around 90 seems likely. And then I would flip flop the Royals and Sox and boost the Sox wins to maybe 85 or so.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Predicted Standings 2013

Per Bleacher report

:nono

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
82 wins for the Royals sounds about right. 79 for the Sox means A LOT went wrong.

Really? Cause thats their normal... right around .500 every year.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
I'm not saying 79 on the dot is normal, I'm saying around .500 is normal. Like + or - 3 or 4 games, which is what you're all mentioning.

Dude, seriously, you're pretending that 79 is normal when normal is 85. That's - 6 games right there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
Dude, seriously, you're pretending that 79 is normal when normal is 85. That's - 6 games right there.

Which is still right around .500 which is 81 wins. So normal is +4 which falls into my +/- and ya know, the most important thing, missing the playoffs.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Which is still right around .500 which is 81 wins. So normal is +4 which falls into my +/- and ya know, the most important thing, missing the playoffs.

Except that 79 wins is just as far from the team's average performance as 91 wins and a likely playoff birth is.

If 85 wins is "around 81 wins", then within your error bounds, the Sox average being a playoff team also.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Except that 79 wins is just as far from the team's average performance as 91 wins and a likely playoff birth is.

If 85 wins is "around 81 wins", then within your error bounds, the Sox average being a playoff team also.

I'm giving you a +/- based on ONE number, right in the middle. The number in which every single sports team in every league is judged. 85 is around 81, so is 79, so is 80...

Oh, and judging '06-'12 is a pretty good judge on what's been normal for them lately seeing as that is how they've performed the last 7 seasons in a row until now...

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
I'm giving you a +/- based on ONE number, right in the middle. The number in which every single sports team in every league is judged. 85 is around 81, so is 79, so is 80...

And yet, the Sox are still closer to averaging 90 wins than they are to averaging 79.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
And yet, the Sox are still closer to averaging 90 wins than they are to averaging 79.

Yes, by 1 whole win! So close!

Anyway, never said "averaging 79 wins", still don't know where that is coming from. The start of this was saying 79 wins in 2013 would be so far out of the norm, when in fact, looking at the last 7 years as you've pointed out, it wouldn't be THAT crazy of a guess from that horrible website.

Saying they were gonna win 110 or only win 40 games would be A LOT of things going wrong (or right)

That was my point.

Ironically, I do see them winning like 84-85 games anyway this year haha

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
Yes, by 1 whole win! So close!

Anyway, never said "averaging 79 wins", still don't know where that is coming from. The start of this was saying 79 wins in 2013 would be so far out of the norm, when in fact, looking at the last 7 years as you've pointed out, it wouldn't be THAT crazy of a guess from that horrible website.

Saying they were gonna win 110 or only win 40 games would be A LOT of things going wrong (or right)

That was my point.

Ironically, I do see them winning like 84-85 games anyway this year haha

Haha dude I understand ya; you aren't crazy.

Compared to last year, I see the offense being roughly the same or maybe a notch better, as I'm not buying regression from Ruis or Dunn.

And I see the starting staff and bullpen both improving by a few notches due to seasoning and the depth pushing the 12.

86-92 wins. Here's to Ramirez and Beckham defunking and carrying us to 103 wins.