2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's correct to pick the Tigers to win the division. They're the defending division winner. They have a more than solid rotation with the best starting pitcher in baseball. They have two position players playing in their prime, probably on the way to the Hall of Fame. They have good veteran players. They have a good manager. They have kicked the Sox ass the last couple years.

Their downside is defense, which cost them games last year. And you never know with bullpens, and you never know with injuries. But let's not pretend the Tigers aren't a very good team, and they are rightfully the favorite to win the division.

One thing to remember--the Sox don't play the Tigers until Game 89, so we really don't have to think about them until July 9. Let's just see if the Sox can get to 50 wins before then, and go from there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
It's correct to pick the Tigers to win the division. They're the defending division winner. They have a more than solid rotation with the best starting pitcher in baseball. They have two position players playing in their prime, probably on the way to the Hall of Fame. They have good veteran players. They have a good manager. They have kicked the Sox ass the last couple years.

Their downside is defense, which cost them games last year. And you never know with bullpens, and you never know with injuries. But let's not pretend the Tigers aren't a very good team, and they are rightfully the favorite to win the division.

One thing to remember--the Sox don't play the Tigers until Game 89, so we really don't have to think about them until July 9. Let's just see if the Sox can get to 50 wins before then, and go from there.

That is RIDICULOUS. I still can't believe that. Is there any other division rivals that are waiting that long to play in the rest of the league?

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

#whitesox hitting coach Jeff Manto said Brent Morel, something of a forgotten man, has his normal bat speed and is determined to win a job

\

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

More Manto on Morel: There was something diff. in eye. He’s coming in ready to compete for a job & he’s making no secret about it. #WhiteSox

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox

“Flowers did a great job making adjustments all winter long. We are pleasantly surprised at the progress that he’s made.” – Jeff Manto

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Manto saw Flowers swing at park before SoxFest, likes progress made on collapsing back side. Sox catcher has worked on that all winter.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
Obviously you can't bank on it...but it would be great if Morel got a clean bill of health and was able to play 110-120 games healthy.

The way he played was more due to a bad back than just being bad at baseball.

Agreed. I have felt (silently) all off-season that Morel deserved another shake. His minor league numbers, and early major league ones, were too promising to be as awful as he was last April, especially with a ready-made explanation like back problems.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Agreed. I have felt (silently) all off-season that Morel deserved another shake. His minor league numbers, and early major league ones, were too promising to be as awful as he was last April, especially with a ready-made explanation like back problems.

He needs to outplay Beckham, realistically, to get his job back. Keppinger could play 2B.

I'd love to see Morel rise from the ashes and put the past behind him, put up a fight like a dog & win a spot on this team. Play 3B, hit the baseball, all the good stuff. Otherwise I have a feeling it'll be July & I'll be referring to our starting 3B as "Krap-in-jar," although it probably wouldn't be here at that point, but I'd go find Lamar (wherever he is) and tell him all my funny jokes & we'd be like two peas in a pod.

Nowhere else to put this but here:

Randomly was on MLB.com and saw a link to this video of Big Frank's first Grand Slam

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...5589557&v=3

And my first thought, besides the awesome hair, is how AWFUL the stadium used to look. My God that place was hideous when it first opened. Just stale and bland. Especially the Upper Deck. The place looked outdated before Camden even opened and showed us what new stadiums should look like for the next 20 years.

Such Chicago luck. If only Baltimore struck a deal first or the Sox had had different leasing options on Old Comiskey.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)

Randomly was on MLB.com and saw a link to this video of Big Frank's first Grand Slam

And my first thought, besides the awesome hair, is how AWFUL the stadium used to look. My God that place was hideous when it first opened. Just stale and bland. Especially the Upper Deck. The place looked outdated before Camden even opened and showed us what new stadiums should look like for the next 20 years.

Such Chicago luck. If only Baltimore struck a deal first or the Sox had had different leasing options on Old Comiskey.

looks like 3 future Sox on the field as well. Jackson, Junior, and Omar.

I didn't want to start another thread to ask this question, but I had a question about the bleacher seats. Do all or only some of the bleacher seats have backs? I saw the bleacher seats once, but I didn't take a close look. I'm looking at getting some tickets to a game this summer, and I noticed the bleacher seats are pretty reasonable.

Thanks for any input.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
Yeah, cuz you throw in the towel on Beckham to justify Keppinger's contract. Makes sense. All these exciting offseason moves really bring on the feeling that we're going for it this year.

That's not what I said at all. I don't know if you've noticed, but Beckham sucks. Right now Keppinger is a better player than Beckham. Therefore, it's more likely that Keppinger will play better than Beckham. You throw in the towel on Beckham because he's never been good and now you have to give him arbitration raises.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
RE: Viciedo

How big of an adjustment is adding a leg kick for a pro player? What would this benefit? More power? Let's hope this doesn't mess him up.

A lot of players add the leg kick for timing. I dont think Viciedo is lacking in the power department

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
I didn't want to start another thread to ask this question, but I had a question about the bleacher seats. Do all or only some of the bleacher seats have backs? I saw the bleacher seats once, but I didn't take a close look. I'm looking at getting some tickets to a game this summer, and I noticed the bleacher seats are pretty reasonable.

Thanks for any input.

They all have backs, but it is bench seating.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)

it truly was hideous. They were given alternate designs, some that harkened back to the old parks and could have had homeplate facing that beautiful skyline. And then there was a pretty cool modern stadium which I'm kind of glad they passed on...

New Comiskey

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
A lot of players add the leg kick for timing. I dont think Viciedo is lacking in the power department

Yeah this is kind of a head scratcher for me -- he seems to have no trouble squaring the ball up. To me, his issue is purely pitch recognition. Every pitch he takes looks like he decided beforehand not to swing. I wonder if this isn't something to get him to habitually load his swing so he can make a decision to swing later.