2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
I do think he'll be fine. Check his age 23 numbers. Check Carlos Lee's age 23 numbers. Very similar. Lee had a few more hits. Viciedo actually walked a bit more, and homered more. If he becomes more selective, something that often occurs with experience, he can become a monster. You carry yourself like he's a bust. I think he can be Carlos Lee. Both busts as 3rd baseman, both will have weight issues. Sometimes the sequel isn't as good as the original. Maybe this one is.

Gordon Beckham is a bust. Dayan Viciedo is a guy you can part with in the right deal.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
They should wear the 1993 jerseys every other day in honor of that team.

That's a really good idea. Let me pass it on to Brooks.

/texts "we should also honor 1993 team"

***VVVVRRMMMMMMMMMMMM***

BROOKS APPROVED, YOU'RE A GENIUS!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Since anyone complaining about Dayan Viciedo is a horrible thing in your opinion, I'll go off on your ridiculous homerism and your more ridiculous confidence that your way of thinking is so great.

Viciedo's on base percentage is horrific, and he was worse than a replacement-level player offensively while providing no defense as a corner outfielder on a team that lost the division by 3 games - while he had an OPS of .660 after May. But keep slurping Dayan Viciedo and wearing your Sox-player blinders, Dick.

14 jacks over his last 100 games. Let's all roll out the red carpet for the future superstar and see nothing wrong with him ever!

Seriously the whole "DICK" thing is a cute way of trying to play around the personal attacks thing that everyone knows is happening.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Since anyone complaining about Dayan Viciedo is a horrible thing in your opinion, I'll go off on your ridiculous homerism and your more ridiculous confidence that your way of thinking is so great.

Viciedo's on base percentage is horrific, and he was worse than a replacement-level player offensively while providing no defense as a corner outfielder on a team that lost the division by 3 games - while he had an OPS of .660 after May. But keep slurping Dayan Viciedo and wearing your Sox-player blinders, Dick.

14 jacks over his last 100 games. Let's all roll out the red carpet for the future superstar and see nothing wrong with him ever!

Viciedo has had one full season in the bigs. Who else on this team is likey to improve as much as this guy in 2013? No one I can think of. If he doesn't improve a lot, then he'll be trade material, but I think he'll hit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Seriously the whole "DICK" thing is a cute way of trying to play around the personal attacks thing that everyone knows is happening.

Dick Allen has referred to me as a "miserable person" multiple times and nothing was ever said to him by the mods publicly . . .

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
MLB Network is very high on the Royals. John Smoltz picked them to win the division.

Kind of. They were asked to make bold, out there predictions and Smoltz said the Royals would win the division. Does he really think that they will? Probably not.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Kind of. They were asked to make bold, out there predictions and Smoltz said the Royals would win the division. Does he really think that they will? Probably not.

Thanks for letting facts get in the way of another anti-Sox post! :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)

I used italics, not capitalization. It was HILARIOUS.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
I have a question...at some point today I posted a presale code for single game tickets, it has since been deleted. Why?

We are talking with the Sox ticket office about whether it is appropriate or not to post those codes. There was a complaint so we are following up on it.

If they give us the ok, we will put the thread back up

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/...leeper-2013-mlb

anybody have insider? interested to see this.

Overall, a bunch of stuff we already know about who is playing on our team. Some highlights:

The White Sox have made no secret of the fact they want to add a left-handed bat to their lineup, and they would do well to land a hitter like Jason Kubel, who they are reportedly interested in acquiring. Among position players only, Chicago's 98 wRC+ tied to rank a fairly mediocre 16th last season. The team received quality play from two of its three outfield spots, but Dayan Viciedo may just be the next Delmon Young -- a below-average baserunner and defender who is not capable of consistently being a league-average hitter. Last season, Viciedo generated just 0.5 WAR despite the fact he mashed 25 homers.

Brent Morel was similarly not the answer at third, but the team has salved that wound with the offseason acquisition of Jeff Keppinger. The three-year deal given to Keppinger may have been a bit rich, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and after watching Morel -- who has been even worse than Beckham, though it has been across a much smaller sample -- the ChiSox were probably plenty desperate. Keppinger is no one's idea of an All-Star, but in the past two seasons he has hit .301/.334/.408, which is far better than the .230/.274/.329 line Morel has posted in the same timeframe. If Keppinger holds his value, the upgrade should be worth at least two wins to the White Sox.

In Flowers, the team not only has a player who is projected to be a better hitter by Bill James, but also the better defender. Last season, Flowers was more than six runs better defensively than Pierzynski by one measure, and that was with Pierzynski playing three times as much. With more time, Flowers should be a huge asset, and could end up a top-10 catcher defensively.

The White Sox still need to upgrade second base and left field, and unfortunately may need to trade Floyd to do so (they can thank years of penny-pinching in the draft for that). But even without Floyd, the rotation should be a plus assuming John Danks returns to form, the defense and bullpen can be reasonably expected to improve and the hitting shouldn't be any worse than it was last year. If John Danks doesn't return to form and Floyd is traded, things could take a turn for the worse, but otherwise Chicago looks poised to once again sneak up on people. The White Sox haven't made any big splashes this offseason, but incremental improvements at catcher, third base and the bullpen, plus a solid return from John Danks should keep them in the pennant race all season.

It's odd to think of a team that won 85 games as a sleeper, but with Los Angeles, Detroit, Tampa and Toronto mounting up as legitimate contenders, the Royals trying to give it the old college try, and Baltimore, Oakland, New York and Texas looming, a sleeper is exactly what Chicago has become.

OK, wasn't it just a few years ago, when we acquired Flowers, that everyone was down on his defense? He was a potential 1B/DH candidate? Now he could be a top 10 defensive catcher? Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for the kid, and I hope it's true, but where did the terrible defense stuff come from then? Or has he just worked that hard to improve?

Edited by PorkChopExpress

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
OK, wasn't it just a few years ago, when we acquired Flowers, that everyone was down on his defense? He was a potential 1B/DH candidate? Now he could be a top 10 defensive catcher? Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for the kid, and I hope it's true, but where did the terrible defense stuff come from then? Or has he just worked that hard to improve?

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that he was converted to catcher so everyone doubted his ability. From all accounts he has worked very hard to learn the position, and he obviously has the arm