2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
People are really underestimating the loss of AJ. You're taking a .280 hitter with 27 dingers out of the lineup, where the hell are we going to get that production from?

Not from AJ. He had a hugely aberrant year, at age 35. You really think he does that again at age 36? Possible, sure. But highly unlikely. I love AJ, and I would prefer him back for another year or two, but if the team has to choose between investing in 3B and C, it is 3B without a doubt. Why? Because AJ's OPS's over his entire Sox career until 2012 have been in the 688-769 range. Flowers can approach that, and may even beat it. At 3B on the other hand, the in-house alternatives are Brent Morel and his shining .612 career OPS (.420 last year), or Carlos Sanchez who is 20 years old and isn't a natural 3B.

I think you are overestimating what AJ would give you for the next 2-3 seasons.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
I think as fans that follow the team so closely, it is far easier for us to imagine the many bad ways for the next season to go. It's less objective and of course we don't look at others teams closely enough to see the cracks in their armor (real or imagined)

It works both ways...the reason I was fairly confident of a rebound last season was because I could also imagine all the good things that could happen.

I don't know about you, but I tend to believe that the more information you have about something, the better the chances of your analysis being accurate.

The more I think about it, the more confident I am that Quintana will be traded. Classic sell-high, not to mention the rotation is so heavily left-handed. Probably Thornton traded too. Those plus some prospects will probably go, bringing back a RH starter and a 3B in some fashion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
The more I think about it, the more confident I am that Quintana will be traded. Classic sell-high, not to mention the rotation is so heavily left-handed. Probably Thornton traded too. Those plus some prospects will probably go, bringing back a RH starter and a 3B in some fashion.

I think the deal makes sense in a lot of ways, especially in a "sell-high" sense. His value is going to be greater than a Gavin Floyd in a lot of respects. First he is left handed. Second he is under team control for six more years, 3 of which should be pre-arb. Third Floyd is going to make $9.5 million next year, Quintana $0.5 million. I bet we would get better offers for Quintana than Floyd.

I know I preached throughout the entirety of the first half about how Santiago is a reliever and not a starter, but having seen him work, I think his upside is higher as a starting pitcher and I think we saw some of that down the stretch last year (though some of it was unfamiliarity as a starting pitcher).

I actually really like Quintana, and, excluding his 1.1 IP, 7 ER outing against the Twins, he put up an ERA of 3.33, WHIP of 1.31, and a 2 K/BB. And, if you exclude that start from his September stats, he's looking at 4.22 ERA (though with a WHIP of 1.78 and a K/BB of 1.33, so that is obviously unsustainable). But I think you're right...sell high on him now while you can.

He's on the Golf Channel right now. Supposedly after the break, they'll ask him where he wants to play next year.

Please fill us in.

Also, is Eric The Silly Ass still on that show? I really hated him when he was a fill in for Mike & Mike and was glad to see him leave.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Please fill us in.

Also, is Eric The Silly Ass still on that show? I really hated him when he was a fill in for Mike & Mike and was glad to see him leave.

He said in a perfect world, he'd play for the Braves, but with McCann there it's not going to happen.

Kuselias left the Golf Channel months ago for NBC Sports Network (both owned by NBC).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
US Cellular just sold their Chicago market to Sprint...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/bre...story?track=rss

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
jon greenberg ‏@espnchijon

The Cell isn't changing, according to US Cellular statement: "Our naming rights to the ballpark are not a part of this deal with Sprint."

So short term, nothing changes.

But long term, if US Cellular's retrenching fails and/or they are bought at a corporate national level by another carrier, then things might get interesting.

Full statement from USC

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox

UPDATE: @USCellular is selling select Midwest markets to Sprint. However, this will not impact their current partnership w/ the #WhiteSox.

.@USCellular released the following statement: “At @USCellular, we are proud of our partnership w/ the #WhiteSox…”

(con’t) “and the experience fans have at U.S. Cellular Field. Our naming rights to the ballpark are not a part of this deal with Sprint…”

(con’t) “The #WhiteSox are a great partner & we look forward to continuing our relationship w/ them.”

I've been with US Cellular since I got my very first phone and they were known as Cellular One. Tried switching to Verizon once, but that only lasted a couple of weeks and I switched back. Never really had any big problems with them.

I've fulfilled my latest contract and am just going month-to-month now. I was just thinking about getting a new phone soon but I wonder if this is the time to switch to a new carrier.

I've noticed that all the other companies advertise the fastest speeds or the best coverage while US Cellular advertises a rewards program.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
And you now have $5 million less to fill those 3 holes.

Yep. If you wanted to get Wright, you'd have to think more along the lines of Floyd + Morel + top prospects.

But either way, Wright is on his final year of his contract, so I don't really want to go down that route anyway.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
I've been with US Cellular since I got my very first phone and they were known as Cellular One. Tried switching to Verizon once, but that only lasted a couple of weeks and I switched back. Never really had any big problems with them.

I've fulfilled my latest contract and am just going month-to-month now. I was just thinking about getting a new phone soon but I wonder if this is the time to switch to a new carrier.

I've noticed that all the other companies advertise the fastest speeds or the best coverage while US Cellular advertises a rewards program.

So have I, the service is phenomenal. This actually sucks if the service is decreased as I assume it will and I will end up on the Sprint network. Ugh.