White Sox Re-Sign Jake Peavy

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hope is that with another year behind him and the injury he had that makes him stronger and he throws harder and longer. He wants to show the Sox he still has it and thanks for sticking with him. I agree with the move. Plus, if in fact Floyd has corrected his flaw and continues to stay on top of it, then 2013 can be a big year for Gavin. Pitching is the name of the game

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Seems like just a few weeks ago everyone here was whining that Jake Peavy was over rated and how he always choked in big games. Now everyone is ecstatic that we re-signed him.

hmph

Because he did choke in big games last year and he was looking at a $22 mil option, which would be an overpay. But despite constantly losing to the Tigers last season, he still had a hell of a year, and for $14.5 million, I think he's worth that money.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
I'm so glad this family is not part of the Sox organization anymore

Oney Guillen ‏@Oneyguillen

wow. awful signing. awful. god bless that money. but wow

That family has plenty of time to comment on these deals now that they are unemployed.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw

Peavy was 6th on my free agent rankings. So, yeah, that's a pretty slick move by the White Sox.

I'm still expecting Hahn to make some sort of bold move this fall! Some sort of big name will be dealt in a package for another big time player.....

I don't mean to rain on this parade, but I'm going to right now: feel free to ignore me

The Choke-ago White Sox left a bad taste in my mouth by choking in the last 3 weeks of the regular season. Bringing back the same guys who contributed to that choke does not fill me with a bunch of confidence. Now I realize the choke was not really the fault of the pitching staff but...I will save my happiness until I see some good moves being made with the offense, and by that I mean bringing in some new blood and not just resigning the same old guys who choked.

flame shields activated

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
I don't mean to rain on this parade, but I'm going to right now: feel free to ignore me

The Choke-ago White Sox left a bad taste in my mouth by choking in the last 3 weeks of the regular season. Bringing back the same guys who contributed to that choke does not fill me with a bunch of confidence. Now I realize the choke was not really the fault of the pitching staff but...I will save my happiness until I see some good moves being made with the offense, and by that I mean bringing in some new blood and not just resigning the same old guys who choked.

flame shields activated

Thank you for providing the same rhetoric you have been spewing on here for a while now.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor

With Youkilis' option declined, White Sox could give Carlos Sanchez a look at 3B. He's batting .244 with 0 HR/10 RBI in Arizona Fall League

Gonzo mentioned that in the Trib the other day too. My guess is, that is plan B or C. But we'll find out.

One of the most sought-after pitchers in baseball won’t be hitting the open market after all.

The deal replaces what would have been a $22 million club option for 2013. The White Sox instead will pay him the $4 million buyout on the pre-existing option and will have him for two seasons under the new contract.

Peavy, 31, is coming off a bounce-back season in which he went 11-12 with a 3.37 ERA in 32 starts. He ranked third in the American League with 23 quality starts. Finally healthy after suffering a detached latissimus dorsi muscle behind his right shoulder in 2010, Peavy was one of the biggest reasons the White Sox were surprising contenders in the AL Central.

“I’m really excited to come back to Chicago and build on what we did last year,” Peavy said in a statement issued by the team. “I made no secret of the fact that this is where I want to play. Chicago is a great city with great fans, and I can’t think of a better place to try and win a championship. With the guys we have coming back, I think we have a great opportunity to accomplish some special things.”

Peavy figures to anchor the team’s 2013 starting rotation, along with left-hander Chris Sale. The White Sox plan for right-hander Gavin Floyd to join them after picking up his 2013 club option worth $9.5 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago...xtension-103012

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
I'm so glad this family is not part of the Sox organization anymore

Oney Guillen ‏@Oneyguillen

wow. awful signing. awful. god bless that money. but wow

Will somebody please hit him with a cement truck?

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Surprising news on Peavy. For only two guaranteed years, I like it even if the yearly amount is high.

The thought of a rotation of a healthy Sale, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, and Quintana sounds great, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Floyd and/or Quintana got traded in the offseason. The Sox have other needs--catcher, 3B. We'll see.

Surprising indeed. Probably was a make-good from being injured, shows a lot of character on Peavy's part. As far as roster make up goes, I'd like to see them stay with the rotation of Sale, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, and Quintana because of injuries. See if they can re-tool the offense/save money by dealing Rios and Ramirez.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
I'm still expecting Hahn to make some sort of bold move this fall! Some sort of big name will be dealt in a package for another big time player.....

Me too man! We haven't had a good #3 hitter since Quentin. We need a badass to push Dunn down in the order to 6 or something so everyone is happy. I hope Hahn goes after one.

What kind of big name are you thinking?