White Sox Re-Sign Jake Peavy

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Yes, and not only did Konerko/Rios not drive Dunn in much, they combined for 34 GIDP to eliminate him from the bases completely. As a slow guy, Dunn's style of walking and striking out a lot cuts down on those GIDP for him.

So you're saying his walks set up DPs. Well, even I don't disvalue his walks that much.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Really? If Konerko is directly behind him, for Dunn to score he has to homer or hit a long double (I'm taking triple out of the equation). Shouldn't it shake down the line up?

What's funny is if Dunn got back to his 2009 level in 2013, he legitimately could be a candidate for comeback player of the year 2 years in a row.

Yes, a little bit, but the guy batting behind him is the only one guaranteed to have some effect on his scoring via a walk. Especially if he makes the third out or GIDP. It's his job, if nothing else, to move him up a base or 2. If that guy isn't doing his job, it makes it that much more difficult for anyone batting further back to do it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
Now you're just saying stuff to be an ass.

No. You praised his strikeouts because they weren't DPs then said Konerko and Rios were hitting into DPs after Dunn drew a walk. If that's the case, my point is made. How good is a walk if a DP is soon to follow? Its like having an in his prime Mariano Rivera pitching for the 2012 Astros.

And if that's the case, a guy who has walks as a next best weapon other than homers, shouldn't be hitting in front of guys who ground into a lot of DPs. So you are saying in a roundabout way, the 3 hole isn't for him either.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Yes, a little bit, but the guy batting behind him is the only one guaranteed to have some effect on his scoring via a walk. Especially if he makes the third out or GIDP. It's his job, if nothing else, to move him up a base or 2. If that guy isn't doing his job, it makes it that much more difficult for anyone batting further back to do it.

Its kind of hard to blame Konerko and Rios since each had a higher OBP and SLG pct. than Adam.

No. You praised his strikeouts because they weren't DPs then said Konerko and Rios were hitting into DPs after Dunn drew a walk. If that's the case, my point is made. How good is a walk if a DP is soon to follow? Its like having an in his prime Mariano Rivera pitching for the 2012 Astros.

And if that's the case, a guy who has walks as a next best weapon other than homers, shouldn't be hitting in front of guys who ground into a lot of DPs. So you are saying in a roundabout way, the 3 hole isn't for him either.

The 2012 Astros are still better with Rivera than without him. Dunn needs to maximize his productivity, which for him includes a lot of walks. It's the responsibility of the players hitting behind him and the manager making the lineup to maximize what Dunn brings to the table. It's not Dunn's job to change hit entire offensive identity because the guys behind him are inadequate.

Yes, in a way it's bad that Dunn has two guys hitting behind him that GIDP a lot, but you put him behind those guys and then nobody drives him in either. At least the two guys who GIDP a lot are also hitting a lot of home runs, so it's the least bad of the two options.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
Its kind of hard to blame Konerko and Rios since each had a higher OBP and SLG pct. than Adam.

Then who should we blame for Adam Dunn not scoring a run after he walks? I would think it's those 2 that had the most PA's with Adam standing on first.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Then who should we blame for Adam Dunn not scoring a run after he walks? I would think it's those 2 that had the most PA's with Adam standing on first.

Sometimes there is no one to blame. A slow footed guy probably doesn't score much when they walk, no matter what team they play for.

I understand that sometimes a walk is as good as a hit, and a walk is not a bad thing. I think most are not understanding what I'm saying. I just think a walk is as good as a hit fewer times for Adam Dunn than some players.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Sometimes there is no one to blame. A slow footed guy probably doesn't score much when they walk, no matter what team they play for.

Unless Adam (or any runner) makes a mistake on the basepads and gets himself out, there's always someone to blame. Blame might be a strong word, but it's accurate. How many times did the Sox have the bases loaded or a runner in scoring position and not come away with a run? If Adam Dunn gets on base because the pitcher pitched around him, it is up to the guy(s) behind him to bring him home. If Konerko pops out to third and Rios strikes out to end the inning, that's not Dunn's fault. To say no one is to blame is shortsighted. If you say no one is to blame then there is no problem, right? There's always room for improvement, especially when the team can't advance the base runners.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
I think the Sox would be doing handstands in joy if somebody would take Dunn and his contract off the Sox hands. Do you all at least agree on that?

No. If the Sox could trade Dunn and get something worthwhile in return, that would be fine. But to just dump him? No.

I think the Sox would be doing handstands in joy if somebody would take Dunn and his contract off the Sox hands. Do you all at least agree on that?

Unless they're getting back a LH bat who has the ability to drive in 100 runs, hell no. We'll be back to pre all in where the sox were a LH power bat away from being true contenders.

I always thought Bulls fans were generally the dumbest in Chicago. Comments like this make me think otherwise. Enjoy Dan Johnson starting DH.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
I always thought Bulls fans were generally the dumbest in Chicago. Comments like this make me think otherwise. Enjoy Dan Johnson starting DH.

I think you are highly underestimating the sports IQ of the Bears fan population out there

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)

Why are you saying the suggestion of dumping a guy who strikes out more often than anyone who ever played MLB, has a career .181 average with the Sox and is owed over $30 million over the next 2 years means the poster who suggested it is dumb? That money could be re allocated and I'm pretty sure you could find an .800 OPS guy for less.

The fact is Dunn will be a White Sox next year, and one thing that cements it is no other team would take that contract.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)

Dunn's not going anywhere, so what's the problem. I gave Dunn a B or A-. I just tire of the .200ish batting average. I do think the Sox would probably be happy to dump that salary. What's so outlandish about that?

Your point is well taken I guess in that we only win games when we hit home runs. Subtracting 40 might not help us win at this point in time even with all the Ks. At some point that's got to be addressed as well.

I know I'm late to the party, but this is a fantastic move. A 1-2-3 of Sale, Peavy, & Danks, if healthy, can be one of the best in baseball over the next two or three seasons. I don't see how anyone could complain about the years or annual amount, as Peavy would have gotten way more in free agency and replacing him would have been a complete nightmare.

With picking up Floyd's option, we actually have some SP depth for 2013 and could afford to trade an arm if the right deal came along. If I were GM, I'm out there shopping Quintana for a young, cost-controlled 3B. My guess is there won't be a match out there, but I'd have no problem having Santiago as our #5 starter next year if need be. Regardless, our SP is a great spot at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
David Ortiz just got 2 years/$26 million.

Will be 38 at the end of that contract, following a season in which he only played 90 games. His production has still been pretty good, but there is certainly a degree of risk. Not a bad deal for either side though. Papi gets a big chunk of change, BoSox don't get a tremendous commitment. If I'm comparing it to Peavy deal, I like Peavy deal even more though they're somewhat similar

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 06:40 AM)
Will be 38 at the end of that contract, following a season in which he only played 90 games. His production has still been pretty good, but there is certainly a degree of risk. Not a bad deal for either side though. Papi gets a big chunk of change, BoSox don't get a tremendous commitment. If I'm comparing it to Peavy deal, I like Peavy deal even more though they're somewhat similar

I was more putting it in there for the pages about Adam Dunn. Ortiz is about as solid of a comp for Dunn as you can get.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
I was more putting it in there for the pages about Adam Dunn. Ortiz is about as solid of a comp for Dunn as you can get.

Dunn is younger and might hit a few more HRs but Ortiz > Dunn in pretty much every possible way offensively.

I agree with you. That's $30M to reinvest in better all-around baseball players who are less likely to fall off a cliff.

I doubt a deal would go down like a straight waiver claim however. IMO it would be a couple low value pieces cumulatively making $1-4M coming back, with maybe a middling prospect, and if we're not taking on any cash then we're probably eating something.

I'd make that deal 10 times out of 10, especially this early in the offseason. I don't think we're close enough to legitimate WS contention to worry about "fit," we need to concern ourselves with controllable talent that is going to help lead the next great Sox team.