White Sox Re-Sign Jake Peavy

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Chase Headley is younger, cheaper, and better than Alex Rios. Why in the world would the Padres give him up for Rios? I know everyone would love to see Headley at 3rd on the South Side, but I think a lot of people are underestimating his value.

I mentioned in my post that Rios would be a part of a package that can help bring Headley over. They would likely have to part ways with Quintana and another prospect or two. Rios is coming off a solid year- which does make him attractive to buyers.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
I really hope Gavin is being held out as trade bait. I don't want him or his loser mentality in this rotation anymore.

I disagree. I think Gavin can have a 2005 Garland type season in 2013. Like Garland, Floyd will be slotted in the 4th slot.

I'm sure he could have a great season or two, but the problem is that he is signed thru 2017. His OPS has decreased for 5 straight seasons now, so I don't see those age 41 & 42 seasons ending well.

If the Yankees eat enough salary, he can become a utility infielder the last 2-3 years or maybe he'll just retire.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't mean to rain on this parade, but I'm going to right now: feel free to ignore me

The Choke-ago White Sox left a bad taste in my mouth by choking in the last 3 weeks of the regular season. Bringing back the same guys who contributed to that choke does not fill me with a bunch of confidence. Now I realize the choke was not really the fault of the pitching staff but...I will save my happiness until I see some good moves being made with the offense, and by that I mean bringing in some new blood and not just resigning the same old guys who choked.

flame shields activated

No need to flame. :)

This was your first year posting here RZZZA... most of us here are long accustom to disappointment and have no hesitations about griping.

In my eyes, Peavy was one of the reasons we stayed in the game until the final month of the year.

The downfall really was in the following to me:

1.) Quintina and Sale wearing down

2.) Declining PK performance post All-Star break

3.) Losing Danks to start the year

4.) Santiago / Thronton woes

5.) Peavy choking in some big games

6.) A first year manager

I've got hope for 2013 but they really do need to address 3B and catcher.

I'd also like to explore other options in Centerfield but DeAza isn't a bad fail safe.

Hope that 2013 can be a good year and I'm hoping for:

1.) Sale Improvements with Strength/Stamina

2.) Peavy Improvements with Strength/Stamina

3.) Quintana Improvements with Strength/Stamina

4.) Alexi preforms to his offensive potential

5.) Beckham finally preforms to his offensive potential

6.) PK's wrist holds up and we get 3/4 of a year of Paulie instead of 1/2 a year

7.) Robin and staff gel better and make some better late game choices

8.) A better record against the Central ( tigers specifically )

9.) A great bounce back year from Danks

After just following 162 games in 2012 - yes, it was disappointing but I saw it coming a mile away. We where tired. Some of the major pieces to our success where limping to the finish line.

Next year, I hope we come back stronger and at least win the division.

Detroit should be improved thou too.

Urg.

Very glad to see Peavy back. Taking it a step further- I'm good with Floyd sticking around as well.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Oney Guillen ‏@Oneyguillen

wow. awful signing. awful. god bless that money. but wow

I hope this ass burger's passport is revoked in Spain and his daddy stops paying his cell phone bill so he can't use Twitter anymore. Thickest skull of all time. It's always this one too. I don't recall the other two clowning themselves every time they get the chance to like this one does.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
I disagree. I think Gavin can have a 2005 Garland type season in 2013. Like Garland, Floyd will be slotted in the 4th slot.

Doesn't matter where he's slotted he's weak mentally. Garland wasn't. He had inconsistent stuff, but I'd never describe him as a mentally weak player.

Gavin has both. Stuff that comes and goes with sometimes multiple starts without having a release point of his curve or fastball, and--with no nicer way to say it-- a losers mentality.

This was your first year posting here RZZZA... most of us here are long accustom to disappointment and have no hesitations about griping.

In my eyes, Peavy was one of the reasons we stayed in the game until the final month of the year.

6.) A first year manager

I'd also like to explore other options in Centerfield but DeAza isn't a bad fail safe.

6.) PK's wrist holds up and we get 3/4 of a year of Paulie instead of 1/2 a year

After just following 162 games in 2012 - yes, it was disappointing but I saw it coming a mile away. We where tired. Some of the major pieces to our success where limping to the finish line.

Urg.

Good post. Thanks for that.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)

6.) A first year manager

Urg.

We didn't lose the division to Detroit, we lost it vs. KC imo. That's the pisser.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
Doesn't matter where he's slotted he's weak mentally. Garland wasn't. He had inconsistent stuff, but I'd never describe him as a mentally weak player.

Gavin has both. Stuff that comes and goes with sometimes multiple starts without having a release point of his curve or fastball, and--with no nicer way to say it-- a losers mentality.

I like Gavin, he had a really rough late May/early June, eliminate that stretch and he's a sub 4 ERA pitcher and thats all I ask from the back end of the rotation. Gavin is what he is, he'll have a rough stretch of games and then he'll have a series of games where he looks pretty good.

He's also pretty good against the teams in the division which is nice to have.

ERA W L SV SVO GP GS CG IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG

vs. DET 2.55 1 1 0 0 3 3 0 17.2 14 5 5 0 4 19 .219

vs. CLE 3.75 2 0 0 0 2 2 0 12.0 13 5 5 1 2 10 .277

vs. KC 1.23 2 0 0 0 2 2 0 14.2 10 2 2 0 3 8 .189

vs. MIN 5.94 2 1 0 0 3 3 0 16.2 19 12 11 1 9 14 .288

He gave up 9 in 3.2 in a game against the Twins so that really inflated his numbers vs. them. 13 innings 2 ER and 2 Ws if you throw that game out the window.

Furthermore if you throw that Twins game out he's an ace like 7-1 with a 3.07 ERA.

Thats a pretty good weapon to have as your #4.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

Thrilled with the move, as I have a feeling the contracts this offseason are going to be insane. League's already getting 22.5 for 3 years from the Dodgers. I have to give Peavy a lot of credit, as he could have easily received deals for more years and money on the open market. I think we can officially state that the Sox won't be going into full rebuilding mode this offseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
Thrilled with the move, as I have a feeling the contracts this offseason are going to be insane. League's already getting 22.5 for 3 years from the Dodgers. I have to give Peavy a lot of credit, as he could have easily received deals for more years and money on the open market. I think we can officially state that the Sox won't be going into full rebuilding mode this offseason.

ALL IN!

err...

APPRECIATE THE GAME!

well...

I don't know. f*** Detroit

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)

No need to.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
Sign David Wright and AJ and let's go win the world series.

David Wrights option will be picked up by the Mets.

Peavy's $4 mil buyout to be paid in annual installments of $1 mil from 2016-19. -- Gonzo

^^ Interesting.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
David Wrights option will be picked up by the Mets.

Peavy's $4 mil buyout to be paid in annual installments of $1 mil from 2016-19. -- Gonzo

^^ Interesting.

Hell yea. Any finance guys tell us how to properly discount that to today?

So contract looks like this.

2013 - $14.5M

2014 - $14.5M

2015 - $15M player options if he reaches certain milestones (details unknown but most likely IP as they want him healthy)

This will be owed to him after the deal is up.

2016 - $1M - buyout

2017 - $1M - buyout

2018 - $1M - buyout

2019 - $1M - buyout

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by justBLAZE