So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

Now that our starting rotation has been solidified, at least until someone is traded, our next biggest need as I see it is 3rd base. I tend to be a defense first type of guy, but our offense is in a rather desperate need of a 3 hole hitter, or at least someone who can hit to all fields and take a walk once in a while. Since no one really has any idea about who other teams have made available I thought that it would be interesting to get some thoughts on the type of player you would like at 3rd base next season.

In my opinion our offensive struggles kind of rules out an "all glove - no hit" type of player, but unless he hits like Miggy Cabrera I'm not sure that I want an "all hit - no glove" type either, although I'm leaning more towards the latter in this case. We would all love to have a 320 avg., 30 HR hitter that plays Gold Glove defense, but just who would that be? Realistically, I think that we need a higher average, hits to all fields (not necessarily HR's but a lot of doubles), not afraid to take a walk type, even if he is an average at best fielder. Kind of like who Youkilis was this season with a higher average.

I think that it needs to be someone who opposing pitchers don't really want to face, someone who could at least provide a little protection in the lineup. We saw what happened to our offense when our most feared hitter was reduced to a singles hitter at best.

I'm not really looking for names, although if you have one that appears available fine, but what type of player.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
Now that our starting rotation has been solidified, at least until someone is traded, our next biggest need as I see it is 3rd base. I tend to be a defense first type of guy, but our offense is in a rather desperate need of a 3 hole hitter, or at least someone who can hit to all fields and take a walk once in a while. Since no one really has any idea about who other teams have made available I thought that it would be interesting to get some thoughts on the type of player you would like at 3rd base next season.

In my opinion our offensive struggles kind of rules out an "all glove - no hit" type of player, but unless he hits like Miggy Cabrera I'm not sure that I want an "all hit - no glove" type either, although I'm leaning more towards the latter in this case. We would all love to have a 320 avg., 30 HR hitter that plays Gold Glove defense, but just who would that be? Realistically, I think that we need a higher average, hits to all fields (not necessarily HR's but a lot of doubles), not afraid to take a walk type, even if he is an average at best fielder. Kind of like who Youkilis was this season with a higher average.

I think that it needs to be someone who opposing pitchers don't really want to face, someone who could at least provide a little protection in the lineup. We saw what happened to our offense when our most feared hitter was reduced to a singles hitter at best.

I'm not really looking for names, although if you have one that appears available fine, but what type of player.

I agree. I don't see anyone really available that will help our offense, but we need offense from 3b because other established positions are not providing much above league average (if that). We really need a 3b to contribute a solid OBP, because at SS, LF, and 2b it is horrible.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
A player who is great on defense and offense.. I really want Adrian Beltre, the Rangers might be trading him to make room for Mike Olt.

This would be the best option I've heard. But I can't imagine Texas looks at us as good trade partners.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
What about Keppinger from Tampa? He's not a big name but might be serviceable, especially for a team with few options.

Keppinger was great in TB last year, but the likelihood of a repeat performance or even a season where he hits .290/.340/.400 is somewhat unlikely considering he's never had a 600 PA season.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
I think in the end after the front office explores other options we will resign Youk to a 1-2 year deal.

I think that this option is probably the most likely scenario, however, while Youkilis can be more than servicable when healthy I think we will then need to make a trade at another position to find a bonafide hitter to help the lineup. My choice would be Rios since I just don't trust him to repeat 2012.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
Morel grows some hair around his nuts and learns how to fuggin' HIT!

We shouldn't have to find a 3B we should be able to pull from the farm!

Make Morel do hitting drills all winter and bring him up!

That ought to be great for his back!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
I think this is where we see having six starters pay off. I have to imagine the Sox make a deal involving either FLoyd, Santiago, or Quintana to bring back a real live third baseman.

Pitching is the name of the game. We saw that we needed all our starters last season. I don't see a trade. I see Youk back or we do some tinkering with our own players. Carlso Sanchez and Gordon Beckham switching positions

While i would like it, I think Moustakas is really the longest of long shots. If he comes to the Sox and reaches his offensive potential, it would make the Royals look really bad.

I have said before I would really love Headley, but its hard to guage what the Padres want to do with him and their Minor league prospect.

I think Wright would cost a boatload. Maybe there is someone out there that Haaaaaaaaahn is looking at that we arent aware of

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
While i would like it, I think Moustakas is really the longest of long shots. If he comes to the Sox and reaches his offensive potential, it would make the Royals look really bad.

I have said before I would really love Headley, but its hard to guage what the Padres want to do with him and their Minor league prospect.

I think Wright would cost a boatload. Maybe there is someone out there that Haaaaaaaaahn is looking at that we arent aware of

So, are there any top minor league 3rd basemen that are major league ready and blocked by another player? The major league team would want to have to part with the minor leaguer and keep the veteran.

Edited by balfanman