So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

How has Brent Morel's defense been? I see he is a .230 hitter with 10 homers in his 2011 season when he was healthy. Why would he not be the logical replacement for Youklis? Other than being a .230

hitter...

NVM I see that his glove, not his bat is his calling card.

Edited by floridafan

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (floridafan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
How has Brent Morel's defense been? I see he is a .230 hitter with 10 homers in his 2011 season when he was healthy. Why would he not be the logical replacement for Youklis? Other than being a .230

hitter...

NVM I see that his glove, not his bat is his calling card.

Brent has been dealing with back problems (seems to be the curse of White Sox 3B position) last year.

I asked him recently how he was doing, he said his back is fine. He gets criticized a lot on here, but I think we haven't seen the real Brent.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Brent has been dealing with back problems (seems to be the curse of White Sox 3B position) last year.

I asked him recently how he was doing, he said his back is fine. He gets criticized a lot on here, but I think we haven't seen the real Brent.

I don't think we've seen the real Brett either.

The fact that Hannahan is a left handed hitter is irrelevant. He does not provide an impact bat, therefore it doesn't matter from which side of the plate he hits. His only value would be his defense, and the depth he provides, especially if the Sox are going to try to give Morel another chance to prove that he's healthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Sounding more and more like it will be Brent Morel at 3rd...

And here is it...

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

Healthy Morel could be White Sox solution at third

December 4, 2012, 8:50 pm

White Sox GM Rick Hahn talks about possible moves during the Winter Meetings and talks about the pitching depth the team has - 12/4

DAN HAYES

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Several thresholds must be crossed but Brent Morel appears to have another chance with the White Sox in his future -- if he’s healthy.

Morel was limited to 76 games last season --- 35 in the majors --- because of a troublesome back. His injury not only limited Morel’s appearances but also wiped out what the White Sox hoped would be a breakout season for the Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo product.

After a September 2011 surge, Morel was limited to a .177/.225/.195 slash line and no home runs in 113 at-bats last season. But Morel is on the mend and the White Sox consider him among their best internal options at the hot corner next season should they not sign a free agent or acquire a replacement for Kevin Youkilis.

“That’s the No. 1 thing for us, to get him in there and see him again,” White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. “He’s not out of the equation for me at all. Him being healthy and getting back in, he’s a good third baseman when he’s healthy.”

The White Sox believed they had a star in the making in Morel. Not only did he post a .224/.340/.553 slash line with eight homers and 19 RBIs in 103 appearances in the final month of the 2011 regular season, but he also is considered a solid defender.

“We thought he was an everyday guy,” general manager Rick Hahn said.

He might once again be, but only if he gets his back on track, Hahn said.

Thus far, reports on Morel’s health have been good, though Hahn knows how tricky the situation can be. Last season, Morel thought he made progress in rehabbing the injury over summer only to have a setback.

“They feel with his diligence on the program that this thing is hopefully behind him,” Hahn said. “It’s tough with backs. It’s tricky. We’ll have to see through his ramping up, training regimen, baseball activity and spring training games and regular season games and react accordingly to how he feels.”

With few viable internal options -- the White Sox prefer to keep Gordon Beckham at second base, Dayan Viciedo in left field and Carlos Sanchez at Triple-A -- Morel could be the answer should the White Sox not sign Youkilis or another free agent or make a deal.

But Hahn wants proof of health before he makes a commitment.

“It’s conceivable, but with Brent, let’s see him healthy,” Hahn said. “Let’s get him 100 percent. He feels good now, let’s have him go through the offseason do the work to prepare, then get to Glendale and get through spring healthy. Then we’ll set our expectations for him going forward.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

While some White Sox people insist Youkilis won't be back, a few rival teams aren't convinced and think they'll sign him.

The more I think about this situation, I think that I'd rather let AJP walk and bring Youkilis back at 3b.

Based on what little rumor activity there has been, it seems the Sox are looking at Youk, Keppinger, Hannahan, Morel, and maybe Chavez. If we say AJ will not return, how would you rate the choices?

I'd say Youk, Keppinger, Chavez, Hannahan/Morel.

Based on what little rumor activity there has been, it seems the Sox are looking at Youk, Keppinger, Hannahan, Morel, and maybe Chavez. If we say AJ will not return, how would you rate the choices?

I'd say Youk, Keppinger, Chavez, Hannahan/Morel.

1 Youk

2 Youk

3 Youk

4 Keppinger

5 Give up on 2013

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
I prefer Chavez over them all, as he gives you the best chance to win.

I dont trust his ability to remain healthy. The yankees were pretty good about protecting him and giving him days off and such. I have a feeling if he comes to the Sox, there will be little platoon because of the dropoff from him to Morel, and this will lead to a lot of the problems that derailed his career.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
I dont trust his ability to remain healthy. The yankees were pretty good about protecting him and giving him days off and such. I have a feeling if he comes to the Sox, there will be little platoon because of the dropoff from him to Morel, and this will lead to a lot of the problems that derailed his career.

He is absolutely terrible against left handers (.382 OPS last year, .609 in 2011, .688 for his career) so playing him against LHP just simply isn't a good option. I think that getting Brent focused on just hitting lefties initially while slowly expanding his role over the course of a season will improve him as a hitter as well. Neither Youkilis nor Keppinger have been shining examples of health over the years (and Keppinger isn't a great bat to begin with, though, as I mentioned previously, I do like him), and an injury is going to kill the chances to win anyways.

You are taking a bigger risk with Chavez than you are Youkilis or Keppinger, but the reward is also far greater and at the end of the day, I feel like Chavez gives the Sox the best chance to win out of all the options, and I feel he is going to come the cheapest as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Chavez vs. RHP, Morel vs. LHP? (Chavez can't hit lefties at all)

How many bench spots will they have though? If Chavez and Morel are both on the team, what are they going to do with the bench? Neither guy can play 2B or SS. Backup catcher, Backup OF, Morel/Chavez and another UT INF? If they don't resign Youk, they should sign Chavez and Keppinger and have a true platoon. If they can't afford that, they should just pack it in and start dealing veterans anyways.