So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

Youk stunk down the stretch and he's not getting any younger. Let him go.

Is there any way Morel can play next year with the bad back? I'd go with him.

OK, greg, you're either a troll or the dumbest baseball fan on this board. I'll let you decide which that is. Nobody with any sense actually thinks that Morel is a viable option for 2013.

You're complaining about Beckham's .694 career OPS but are willing to live with Morel's .612 career OPS from an easier defensive position?

You need to take a break from posting and go back to troll school. You must have missed the class on avoiding contradicting yourself.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know much about any of these guys now, but Polanco used to be pretty good. Does anyone know if he still has anything left? Could he be a legit contact hitter and bat 2nd anymore?

No, his offense has been in steady decline over the past 4 years, though it would be cool to have one of the three tenors on the roster.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
I think Youk has zero interest in staying with the Chicago White Sox.

Youk is interested in the dollars, from his own words, and from those on the inside. Unlike a Jake Peavy or AJ, the Sox have no special place for him. They make him the best contract offer, he comes back.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Youkilis might not have liked it but he sure performed well.

He faded hard down the stretch. Even if you take just his time with the White Sox, the OPS he put up was the lowest of his entire career. His OBP was the lowest of his career by about 20 points.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
I want actual links showing how big of an arse Youkilis was. Also, saw the Moustakas wish lists on Facebook, why the hard on for this guy unless we dumped Floyd to get him?

The Sox and Royals are a good fit on paper. They need pitching, we have pitching.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
3B Free agent list is super thin. I dont want any of these bums.

Miguel Cairo (39)

Eric Chavez (35)

Mark DeRosa (38)

Alberto Gonzalez (30)

Orlando Hudson (35)

Brandon Inge (36)

Maicer Izturis (32)

Adam Kennedy (37)

Jeff Keppinger (33)

Jose Lopez (29)

Casey McGehee (30)

Placido Polanco (37)

Scott Rolen (38)

Drew Sutton (30)

Ty Wigginton (35)

Kevin Youkilis (34)Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013...YyvrzzKYs5By.99

Sox were in on Chavez last year. Wouldn't be surprising if it winds up a Morel/Chavez platoon.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Are the Royals really looking to trade Moustakas?

Supposedly the Royals say they will dump a bat for pitching. Someone on Bleacher Report suggested Floyd for Moustakas. Some people appear to be running with it, although Floyd is a better option for teams than Haren.

Casey McGehee just became a free agent. I don't know what happened to him. 2012 was a lost year for him; decline started in 2011. Before that, he was a servicable player. I can't see anyone giving him a ML contract for 2013. RE: Morel...I don't believe bad backs get healed enough to play ML baseball the way he did it. We'll find out in March. Sox'll have to pick up a 3B somewhere.

Chavez had a nice year at the plate, but I worry about him being able to play 3B everyday. He only played 64 games last year at 3B.

Someone like Moustakas would be ideal. Since the Sox have no 3B prospects, I would like to see them acquire a more long term player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
Supposedly the Royals say they will dump a bat for pitching. Someone on Bleacher Report suggested Floyd for Moustakas. Some people appear to be running with it, although Floyd is a better option for teams than Haren.

Moustakas would be a great addition, and provide a left handed bat, but I suspect that it would take a lot more than Gavin Floyd to get him.

He is still very young and has tremendous potential, and of course, he will be cost controlled for a few more years, which makes him very attractive.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
Moustakas would be a great addition, and provide a left handed bat, but I suspect that it would take a lot more than Gavin Floyd to get him.

He is still very young and has tremendous potential, and of course, he will be cost controlled for a few more years, which makes him very attractive.

It would likely take some younger, near-ready pitching to get it done. Guys like Santiago and/or Rienzo would have to be involved, I would think.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)

Did I miss the news somewhere that KC wanted to deal Moustakas? Why would they trade him? Hosmer, Butler, Myers, and Moustakas is a nice group to build around. And they have more coming. Not to mention Perez. Was it mentioned somewhere that they would deal Moose for pitching because of the depth on offense?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 07:05 AM)
Don't know much about any of these guys now, but Polanco used to be pretty good. Does anyone know if he still has anything left? Could he be a legit contact hitter and bat 2nd anymore?

Polanco can't hit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
It would likely take some younger, near-ready pitching to get it done. Guys like Santiago and/or Rienzo would have to be involved, I would think.

Moose is the type of player who is cheap, under control, already an MLB player, and has the ability to become a star on both sides of the diamond. When we had a player like that (Beckham) many of us, including myself, didn't want to take the chance at losing such a piece even if coming back were 2 years of Adrian Gonzalez at a hilarious salary.

There's no way any organization in it's right mind would trade that kind of player without getting at least a similar type of prospect in return, but probably an already established young/in his prime MLB star. We don't have the prospect(s) and if we did trade Sale I doubt it would be to KC, although they are one of the few teams that could put together the type of package to make a GM trade someone like that.

IMO Gavin will be a member of the Baltimore Orioles before the Winter Meetings are over.

Moustakas is 2 years younger than Beckham. Offensively, he seems to have the same issues as Gordon. Low average, strikes out, a lot, hits homers, rarely walks. Just another case of Sox fans finding someone else with the same issues as a Sox player as someone who will easily overcome them while the Sox player is garbage with no chance to succeed.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you think Beckham is nothing but crap, if you're being logical, you really can't think too much of Moustakas. If you think Beckham should have been traded long ago, trading for his mirror image offensively makes no sense.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
OK, greg, you're either a troll or the dumbest baseball fan on this board. I'll let you decide which that is. Nobody with any sense actually thinks that Morel is a viable option for 2013.

You're complaining about Beckham's .694 career OPS but are willing to live with Morel's .612 career OPS from an easier defensive position?

You need to take a break from posting and go back to troll school. You must have missed the class on avoiding contradicting yourself.

Morel is a great defensive player. I'd be willing to give him one more chance if his back is cleared as healthy. The main portion of my post was how I didn't want Youk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Moustakas is 2 years younger than Beckham. Offensively, he seems to have the same issues as Gordon. Low average, strikes out, a lot, hits homers, rarely walks. Just another case of Sox fans finding someone else with the same issues as a Sox player as someone who will easily overcome them while the Sox player is garbage with no chance to succeed.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you think Beckham is nothing but crap, if you're being logical, you really can't think too much of Moustakas. If you think Beckham should have been traded long ago, trading for his mirror image offensively makes no sense.

Great post. I'd avoid trading with the Royals anyway. No good can come of that.

Beckham has appeared in 535 games and has made 2067 plate appearances.

Moustakas has appeared in 238 games and has made 979 plate appearances.

If these guys look the same in a mirror then I imagine it would be possible for an apple to see its own reflection as an orange.

Yeah, maybe Beckham over the 2010-11 offseason is a great comp, but then again, Beckham over that same offseason is still worth a s*** ton more than Gavin Floyd, Hector Santiago, etc. etc.

Not happening.

Within 2 seasons you will have a prospect ready for prime time from the farm system. Hopefully he will make it to AA by middle to end of next season. Home grown, reliable and gap to gap power with a strong arm and glove. Should be good for 15-20 HR's a season.

Keep Youk until he is ready!

Edited by floridafan

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Beckham has appeared in 535 games and has made 2067 plate appearances.

Moustakas has appeared in 238 games and has made 979 plate appearances.

If these guys look the same in a mirror then I imagine it would be possible for an apple to see its own reflection as an orange.

Yeah, maybe Beckham over the 2010-11 offseason is a great comp, but then again, Beckham over that same offseason is still worth a s*** ton more than Gavin Floyd, Hector Santiago, etc. etc.

Not happening.

The point being if you were crying the Sox should have traded Beckham 2 years ago, you will probably be wondering why the Sox would give anything up to get Moustakas in 2 years. I'm not a Gavin Floyd fan, but looking at what's out there, if Hahn wants to trade him, he'll probably get more than he's worth. But I doubt it will be Moustakas.

Edited by Dick Allen

"I had a real good conversation with Kevin when we informed him we were declining the option the other day," Hahn said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "This is the first time Kevin has had a chance to be out on the open market, and he's got a young family out on the west coast, and he wants to explore what's out there.

"But he knows there is no confusion in his mind about our desire to bring him back. So we're going to stay on that, stay in communication. It's not a great time to be a club in the free-agent market looking for a third baseman, the player pool is not real deep, so I expect Kevin will be popular, but we're going to be in on that until the end, I think."

Rick Hahn via ESPN.com/Chicago

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
The point being if you were crying the Sox should have traded Beckham 2 years ago, you will probably be wondering why the Sox would give anything up to get Moustakas in 2 years. I'm not a Gavin Floyd fan, but looking at what's out there, if Hahn wants to trade him, he'll probably get more than he's worth. But I doubt it will be Moustakas.

And my point in return was that Beckham hasn't made the type of offensive strides we all hoped for 4 years in, which is obviously cause for concern. OTOH there is still a lot of hope left in Moose, and Beckham's failings have no bearing on him.

Gordon has earned his first year arb salary but has to earn his 2nd and 3rd year salaries, and there is reason to doubt his ability to do that at this point. Moose is still pre-arb and his overall production at 3B already puts him at a strong on-field value over his cost. The downside is more like, in 2 years we'll have another player will just be earning his salary (meaning we've saved $$$ in the meantime, especially if Youk is the alternative) while the upside is that in 2 years we have a star. The floor is pretty high and the ceiling is tremendous when you factor in years of team control + cost, which is what makes Moose worth a ton and not just another Beckham.

Besides, Beckham could still turn it around.

If Moose is really out there we'd be very dumb not to ask about him, but the Royals would be idiots to trade all that current and likely value PLUS all that potential for 1 year of an up-and-down underachieving #3 starter who is being paid at an annual value right around, or just below, what he has actually been worth the last 2 seasons.\

Floyd makes a lot of sense for KC from the standpoint of trading for him and then extending him, but I think it's a bad match anyway. That's why I think he's in Baltimore, as Baltimore has been rumored to be interested in their local boy for a long time now, and he's a perfect under the radar, smaller market, trade and extend type of candidate for that club. I don't know what STL is going to need but that's another organization that might be interested in something like that. Maybe Cincy too. I doubt he goes to KC though and we're certainly not getting any return like Moose.