So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 02:19 AM)
Absolutely not.

Absolutely? Are you the Royals GM or something?

Its all speculation. No one can speak in absolutes on this, unless you are telling us you have inside knowledge of the Royals high front office. And there are indications the Royals are dangling a position player or two for pitching, so... the only thing you can say absolutely is that it is possible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
Absolutely? Are you the Royals GM or something?

Its all speculation. No one can speak in absolutes on this, unless you are telling us you have inside knowledge of the Royals high front office. And there are indications the Royals are dangling a position player or two for pitching, so... the only thing you can say absolutely is that it is possible.

What are "the indications."

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
Asking price for Headley is atronomical. Talks would begin and end with Sale.

If you look at his numbers away from Petco, he might be a top-3 3rd basemen in the league. People on this site seem to greatly underestimate what it would take to get Headley.

QUOTE (Special K @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
What are "the indications."

Rumors posted here and there. Nothing substantial, at least not that I've seen. Which was kind of my point - it is all speculation at this time. No one knows any of this absolutely, most teams would at least consider offers for most players at this stage, and the Royals and Sox appear to be a fit in this regard.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
Asking price for Headley is atronomical. Talks would begin and end with Sale.

If that's the case then I would bet that Headley stays with SD. They would have to accept less than that from someone, especially with teams knowing that they want to play Gyorko at 3B at some point.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Are there any competent offensive players that could be moved to 3b ala Teahan? Wouldn't be out of the ordinary for KW to fill that role.

Teahen was moved from 3B to the OF and settled in as a UT player. We'd want someone who would be able to stick at the position.

If you are talking about strong-armed SS with limited range but quick feet and good hands, I'm not sure who would be out there, but maybe there is someone. You kind of need to watch a lot of other teams players to identify traits that would make for a good 3B out of a SS because the stats tell very little. I imagine the Sox, in the weak 3B market and with Morel looking like a lost cause given his back, are looking at every possible option and would consider someone like that if they could find the right player.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Are there any competent offensive players that could be moved to 3b ala Teahan? Wouldn't be out of the ordinary for KW to fill that role.

Elvis Andrus?? Not exactly the power guy you look for on the corners but would look great in the 1-2 spot. Not sure Andrus would wanna make the move since he's a GG caliber SS though.

I wonder what it would take to get Pedro Alvarez from Pitt. I think Headley may cost more than Alvarez. Either way, I would hope the Sox can get a guy they can count on beig out there everyday instead of going with a guy like Morel, or another young, unproven guy, and hoping he pans out.

This website blows my mind at times. Moustakas put up a 3.5 WAR as a 23 year old this past season. I'm not sure if people realize how bad the 3B position has gotten in recent years, but that's f***ing incredible. Sure, his offense wasn't spectacular, but again, he just turned 24 years old and has only had about 1 2/3 full seasons in the pros. Considering he was the 9th ranked prospect in all of bassball in 2011, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will get better with the bat over the next few years. And even if he doesn't, he's already one of the better all-around 3B in baseball and is under team control for the next 5 years.

Thinking we can get him for Floyd or some borderline prospects is pure insanity. If I were Hahn and the Royals expressed any willingness to trade Moustakas, I'd immedietely offer up Quintana and cross my fingers. Unfortunately, I think they'd want a more proven, cost-controlled SP if they were to consider moving him and I personally can't comprehend why they'd want to trade him in the first place.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
This website blows my mind at times. Moustakas put up a 3.5 WAR as a 23 year old this past season. I'm not sure if people realize how bad the 3B position has gotten in recent years, but that's f***ing incredible. Sure, his offense wasn't spectacular, but again, he just turned 24 years old and has only had about 1 2/3 full seasons in the pros. Considering he was the 9th ranked prospect in all of bassball in 2011, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will get better with the bat over the next few years. And even if he doesn't, he's already one of the better all-around 3B in baseball and is under team control for the next 5 years.

Thinking we can get him for Floyd or some borderline prospects is pure insanity. If I were Hahn and the Royals expressed any willingness to trade Moustakas, I'd immedietely offer up Quintana and cross my fingers. Unfortunately, I think they'd want a more proven, cost-controlled SP if they were to consider moving him and I personally can't comprehend why they'd want to trade him in the first place.

The Royals haven't been lieing to their fanbase telling them to be patient and wait for the kids to come up to trade a Moustakas for a Quintana. Floyd has a name and is more on the right track, but it would take something like Floyd, Quintana and Beckham to get that one done and the fans would still be pissed cause Quintana is not officially a stud prospect yet, Floyd is OK but hittable and makes a lot of money and Beckham has a name but his stats are starting to scream, "I'm just another guy like Getz." Royals would have to be blown away with current big leaguers to trade a Moose or Hosmer. And the Royals are cheap so monetary considerations would be out there for any of the name players they acquire.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
The Royals haven't been lieing to their fanbase telling them to be patient and wait for the kids to come up to trade a Moustakas for a Quintana. Floyd has a name and is more on the right track, but it would take something like Floyd, Quintana and Beckham to get that one done and the fans would still be pissed cause Quintana is not officially a stud prospect yet, Floyd is OK but hittable and makes a lot of money and Beckham has a name but his stats are starting to scream, "I'm just another guy like Getz." Royals would have to be blown away with current big leaguers to trade a Moose or Hosmer. And the Royals are cheap so monetary considerations would be out there for any of the name players they acquire.

I don't understand why you think Moustakas is an MVP candidate.

He was the 3B equivalent of Beckham last year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)

THIS. THANK YOU.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't understand why you think Moustakas is an MVP candidate.

He was the 3B equivalent of Beckham last year.

WHAT?

Beckham has struggled to be a positive value player. Moustakas, in his first full season, put up a 3 WAR and saw his OPS rise from the year previous. He's now 24 and there's no reason to think he should decline or do anything but get better. He's an extremely valuable player. If Moustakas had a .600 OPS last year, he'd be more like Beckham...but he's not.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
WHAT?

Beckham has struggled to be a positive value player. Moustakas, in his first full season, put up a 3 WAR and saw his OPS rise from the year previous. He's now 24 and there's no reason to think he should decline or do anything but get better. He's an extremely valuable player. If Moustakas had a .600 OPS last year, he'd be more like Beckham...but he's not.

I was referring to great defense and low OPS. Should have made that more clearly.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 4, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
WHAT?

TBH, the two weren't all that different offensively. Gordon was probably a Mike Trout HR rob away from putting up the same wOBA as Moustakas.