So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
When I thought Beckham was going to be an above-average offensive player, I wanted them to keep him at 2B. Now that he's 3.67 years in, and we know he's not even an average offensive player, but shows occasional power, I wouldn't mind if they moved him back to 3B, batted him second one last time, and tried Carlos Sanchez at 2B and batted him 9th.

BTW, Sanchez went 5-5 yesterday, and is hitting well over .300 in the AFL. Not that it means much, but it's better than hitting .200. He also has played exclusively at 2B.

This an interesting idea though I would slot Sanchez into batting second eventually. As far as I know, the majority of the front office doesn't feel Sanchez is MLB-ready just yet. Rick is not as agressive as KW in that way. However, if Sanchez really impresses in ST he may force their hand. I believe the plan is to look outside the organization for a young, controlled 3B via trade and not be held up for long by Youk or anyone else. 3B is their top priority right now.

There has been a positive trend recently in MLB of pushing AA talent straight to the bigs with little or no AAA time and Sanchez could succeed there but only as a 2B, IMO.

He offers a lot of what this team needs as a selective hitter from both sides.

Ya I just checked out his minor league stats, pretty brutal. Sub .900 FLD% is no bueno. He was 20 years old and it was his first year over here in the US so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

Could it also be a smoke screen? It's pretty clear this team needs a 3B so we have no leverage in a trade involving one.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 12:59 AM)
Ya I just checked out his minor league stats, pretty brutal. Sub .900 FLD% is no bueno. He was 20 years old and it was his first year over here in the US so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

Could it also be a smoke screen? It's pretty clear this team needs a 3B so we have no leverage in a trade involving one.

There is no need for a smokescreen. This leverage you speak about, IMO is overrated. If you have what the other team needs, a deal will get done. They won't pass on a trade because they think you are so desperate that you need to vastly overpay. Besides, I think most Whitw Sox competitors would love to see Viciedo try to play 3b. If we know he is not a legit option there, you can be sure the rest of MLB knows as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 06:51 AM)
Michael Young is probably someone who the Sox could get on a stop gap. He would probably come with a chunk of salary paid, and no obligation past 2013.

and there it is, the yearly Michael Young "possibility".

I didnt think it would be you, SS2k5 ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
Michael Young is probably someone who the Sox could get on a stop gap. He would probably come with a chunk of salary paid, and no obligation past 2013.

How long has it been since Young has played 3rd base?

Would a trade for Young / or Beltre happen for say Rios and various parts? They are losing Hamilton right?

So many questions but inquiring minds want to know.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
How long has it been since Young has played 3rd base?

Would a trade for Young / or Beltre happen for say Rios and various parts? They are losing Hamilton right?

So many questions but inquiring minds want to know.

It has also been reported that Texas is chasing Adam LaRoche. That means Mike Olt is probably available. They don't have a spot for him to play.

Here's an idea: trade for Yunel Escobar (you can probably get him for real cheap) and play him at 3B. Yeah, I know he's had clubhouse issues before, but the guy's always been healthy and when right, he's a .300/.360/.440 type of player. Exactly what you want in the 2-hole.

I really just want a LH 3-8 slot hitter at 3B. They may lose AJ so they'll be left with De Aza and Dunn as the only LHers in the lineup and I dont think thats a recipe for success. I really want another LHer at C too.

Chase Headley, Matt Carpenter, Jed Lowrie, Mike Moustakus, Kyle Seager, and kinda Steve Lombardozzi fit the bill of what I want.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Hahn n company know how few good 3rd basemen there are in the league. What do you think option 1 is for them? Re-sign Youk?

That depends on Youk. I'm sure they would like to have him back at a decent price. It could buy them another year to find a real 3B>

I think Youk is the Sox top choice because he will only cost money. Considering his splits, Youk should be begging the Sox to take him back.

I do think Youk knows playing 1b is probably better for him, but if he signs for 2 years 1b opens up with the White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen