So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
I think Youk is the Sox top choice because he will only cost money. Considering his splits, Youk should be begging the Sox to take him back.

I do think Youk knows playing 1b is probably better for him, but if he signs for 2 years 1b opens up with the White Sox.

I believe in 2 years we'll see Viciedo as the starting 1B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 07:51 PM)
I can't imagine him getting anything near 8 figures and don't know if he would be willing to play 3b, but Marco Scutaro makes contact and gets on base. Unconventional numbers for a third baseman, but his OPS is generally in the upper .700s lately.

Saw a tweet last night, saying Scutaro is open to playing 3B but his preference remains 2B.

Hahn said a 3B and a LH bat remain a priority this offseason (no news here), maybe it will be the same guy. I think, like others have said, they will go after Youk and if this option doesn't pan out they will have to get creative.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
It has also been reported that Texas is chasing Adam LaRoche. That means Mike Olt is probably available. They don't have a spot for him to play.

Mike Olt is actually pretty unavailable. Daniels would have to be floored to move him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
Michael Young is owed $16 million next year, is bad defensively, and his OPS was

.014 higher than Beckham's. Other than that, he's a great idea

Plus, Young would veto any trade to ChiSox.

Back to Viciedo at 3rd for a second...

SoxNerd ‏@SoxNerd

More on the @SoxNerd's # of the day/897 #DayanViciedo's career FA at 3B/Played out, Viciedo would make 28 errors @ 3B in a full season

the @SoxNerd's # of the day/897 Viciedo's career FA at 3rd/Figures 2 28 E over a full yr/simple analysis/does not figure range, chances, etc

Last Sox 3Bman to have more: #PeteWard 38 in '63

i wonder if we even thought about moving courtney hawkins to 3B?

our top pick last year. he has great athleticism and a very strong arm. he has a big bat for a corner infield position. and at 6'3" 220 has great size for it as well.

could be an option in a couple years to take the position.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
i wonder if we even thought about moving courtney hawkins to 3B?

our top pick last year. he has great athleticism and a very strong arm. he has a big bat for a corner infield position. and at 6'3" 220 has great size for it as well.

could be an option in a couple years to take the position.

I would think as long as KW is around, the Sox will know exactly the dangers in making that move. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but KW went from a terrific prospect to bust when moved from the OF to 3b. Many thought he was going to be a star in CF. Maybe he would have still have been a bust, but I'm sure he knows exactly what the move entails.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
I would think as long as KW is around, the Sox will know exactly the dangers in making that move. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but KW went from a terrific prospect to bust when moved from the OF to 3b. Many thought he was going to be a star in CF. Maybe he would have still have been a bust, but I'm sure he knows exactly what the move entails.

Unfortunately that sounds more like what KW does. Trying to pound the suare into the round hole.

Youkilis drawing interest from Dodgers, Phils, others

0 minutes ago by JonPaulMorosi

In one respect, Kevin Youkilis hit free agency at the wrong time: He had a .745 OPS during the 2012 season, the lowest mark of his career.

Then again, he’s entering the market at a time when a number of general managers are unsatisfied with their production at one corner infield position or another. And Youkilis’ improved play following the trade from Boston to Chicago – a respectable .771 OPS in 80 games with the White Sox – supports the notion that he mostly needed a chance of scenery, away from Bobby Valentine.

The Indians, Phillies and Dodgers are looking to upgrade their production at third base and have shown preliminary interest in Youkilis, according to major-league sources. The Mariners and Marlins – the majors’ two worst teams this year in first base production – have checked in on Youkilis, as well.

Youkilis, 33, was an everyday first baseman for the Red Sox from 2006 through 2010, until moving to third when Adrian Gonzalez arrived before the 2011 season. His ability to play either position is valuable in the marketplace, especially considering there is little free-agent depth at first base after Adam LaRoche.

Youk drawing interest...

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/mike-olt/

Looks like Rangers are open to trading Olt for an OF makin some $$...If they can't get Upton, Rios for Olt?

I can't imagine the Rangers would ever do that. Upton>>>>>>Rios.

Plus, they just tried to get Andrelton Simmons for Olt. For some reason they seem to be in the market for a SS. I'd offer Floyd + Sanchez + cash, but I still doubt they'd take that. Olt is a helluva 3B prospect.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)

Plus, they just tried to get Andrelton Simmons for Olt. For some reason they seem to be in the market for a SS. I'd offer Floyd + Sanchez + cash, but I still doubt they'd take that. Olt is a helluva 3B prospect.

Arizona wants Simmons for Upton. The Rangers were trying to trade for Simmons to get Upton, but Atlanta said no.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)

They tried getting Simmons to flip him for Upton.

Rios and Q for Olt might do the trick.