So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
I can't imagine the Rangers would ever do that. Upton>>>>>>Rios.

Plus, they just tried to get Andrelton Simmons for Olt. For some reason they seem to be in the market for a SS. I'd offer Floyd + Sanchez + cash, but I still doubt they'd take that. Olt is a helluva 3B prospect.

They tried to get Simmons so they could send him to Arizona for Upton.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
I'm hearing rumors now that they may have been trying to get Simmons to flip for Upton.

Lol, where'd you gather that info? Source?

Another thing I take from that story is, if the Rangers are unwilling to trade Profar or Andrus for Upton than that clearly makes Ian Kinsler available. If we can't swing for Olt what about Floyd and Thornton for Kinsler? Move Gordo back to 3B.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

Another thing I take from that story is, if the Rangers are unwilling to trade Profar or Andrus for Upton than that clearly makes Ian Kinsler available. If we can't swing for Olt what about Floyd and Thornton for Kinsler? Move Gordo back to 3B.

I'd love to have Kinsler, but I'm reading on MLBTR discussions that they want to move Andrus to 2B, and put Kinsler in LF.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)

Kinsler has a pretty big contract extension that runs through 2017, with a very big buyout at the end.

2013 31 Texas Rangers $13,000,000

2014 32 Texas Rangers $16,000,000

2015 33 Texas Rangers $16,000,000

2016 34 Texas Rangers $14,000,000

2017 35 Texas Rangers $11,000,000

2018 36 Texas Rangers *$12,000,000 $12M Team Option, $5M Buyout

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Arizona wants Simmons for Upton. The Rangers were trying to trade for Simmons to get Upton, but Atlanta said no.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
They tried to get Simmons so they could send him to Arizona for Upton.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
I'm hearing rumors now that they may have been trying to get Simmons to flip for Upton.

What a scoop

Scott Merkins says Hahn is still positive about a 3rd base solution and has not ruled out free agency with Youk which seems to be his preferred route but unless uncle Jerry authorizes him to increase payroll it may not be possible.

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

Hahn exploring numerous options at third base

Viciedo likely to stay in outfield; Youkilis remains possible target in free agency

CHICAGO -- Third base continues to be an area of Hot Stove priority for the White Sox and general manager Rick Hahn.

Despite the desire to find an impact player at the hot corner, don't look for left fielder Dayan Viciedo to move back to the position where he started his big league career upon coming to Chicago's South Side from Cuba. Hahn wouldn't go as far as guaranteeing Viciedo's stay in the outfield, where Viciedo played 131 games in 2012, when speaking with media Thursday at U.S. Cellular Field following a collegiate signing day ceremony for 12 members of the organization's Amateur City Elite program.

But it certainly didn't sound like a change was anywhere near imminent.

"I don't want to rule out anything at this point. We are sitting here a week before Thanksgiving, and it's foolish to close off any options," said Hahn of Viciedo, who played 23 games at third for the White Sox in 2010. "I will say that we are exploring a lot of options that we rank ahead of moving Viciedo in from the outfield.

"He's fully capable of playing third base. He's athletic enough to handle it. At the same time, we've moved this kid around a lot and we are asking a lot of him offensively, in terms of the role he plays in our offense going forward.

"At this time, I don't think another move is in his best interest," Hahn said. "It's something to talk about and consider and not rule it out, but we've got other options ahead of that one."

Hahn has made no secret of the White Sox desire to bring back free agent Kevin Youkilis to anchor third base. Youkilis was popular within the organization during his 80-game stint with the White Sox -- for everything from his ability to get on base to his penchant for big hits to his clubhouse presence.

Once he hit free agency, though, interest in Youkilis almost immediately picked up. Much like the White Sox desire to lock down Jake Peavy before he hit the open market, they knew re-signing Youkilis would be tougher once the team no longer held control.

That influx of interest doesn't mean the White Sox have given up hope where Youkilis is concerned, although Hahn wasn't about to make any free-agency prediction.

"Again, I don't want to get in the habit of handicapping these things," Hahn said. "A perfect example is A.J. [Pierzynski] two years ago. I would have been dreadfully wrong when asked to handicap at this point in the offseason in terms of his likelihood to come back.

"This was a point of emphasis with Jake, but we knew once the free-agency period hit, it would become more challenging to sign our guys. It's a rather thin free-agent market at certain spots, starting pitching among them as it would have been for Jake, and third base for Kevin. It's not a shock he's heard from a bunch of teams. It's not a shock he's popular.

"It's going to be a challenge to bring him back," Hahn said. "We continue to have dialogue with him and other options. It's still early, and we'll see where it goes."

Overall, talks since the GM Meetings have been positive, negative, frustrating and exciting, according to a smiling Hahn. He added that there have been some very good conversations that have developed following the GM Meetings, but the bulk of activity might not start until the Winter Meetings in Nashville begin on Dec. 3.

"Teams are starting to zero in on converting some of their options right now," Hahn said. "Things are starting to happen, conversations are getting a bit more substantive and offers are flying back and forth. Something could happen any time."

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

teal deer

But, Youkilis was great in the clubhouse..loved him, we loved you Youk, please sign with us for a discount? Please?

Oh, no? Well then fudge you, you you you selfish prick, I hope you drown in all that money you earn in Cleveland, hope you enjoy their downtown district, hope you like the smell, YEAH, that's the smell of hopelessness.

Suck it b****.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
Hahn has made no secret of the White Sox desire to bring back free agent Kevin Youkilis to anchor third base. Youkilis was popular within the organization during his 80-game stint with the White Sox -- for everything from his ability to get on base to his penchant for big hits to his clubhouse presence.

So which is it? I've heard here at Soxtalk that Youkilis was not popular in the clubhouse. Are there any documented reports that he wasn't liked, or is this just speculation?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Gonzales mentions Michael Young at 3B if the Sox can get some salary relief. Basically there is no chance at Headley.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11...ter-gm-meetings

That still wouldn't solve the problem of filling the need for a middle of the order left handed bat.

Why not trade Floyd, Thornton and another piece, if necessary, for Ethier? The Dodgers are looking for a right handed starter, and a left handed reliever.

That would be a constructive salary dump for the Sox, as neither Floyd nor Thornton should be on this roster, in the first place.

That would still leave one hole, and the Sox should consider spending some money on a top of the rotation right handed starter, which Floyd is not.

Ethier could play LF, or switch with Rios. Ethier, de Aza and Rios would make a pretty good outfield.

I still like the idea of moving Viciedo back to 3B. He has the hands, and the arm to play there.

Line up:

de Aza

Sanchez or Beckham, if he isn't traded, or can finally start to hit.

Rios

Ethier

Konerko

Dunn

Viciedo

Ramirez

Flowers

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Gonzales mentions Michael Young at 3B if the Sox can get some salary relief. Basically there is no chance at Headley.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11...ter-gm-meetings

Follows suit with my MLB The show franchise. And Young had a monster 2013 for the Sox, so clearly that would happen in real life.

Here a thought (More sarcastic and for a laugh but what the heck). What about Mark Reynolds? His option was declined but he is still Arb eligible. I know with Dunn and him you are guaranteed almost 400 K's a year but he does average 25-30 HR's a year and for one year at a decent price (4-5 million) wouldn't he be worth the risk of a stopgap?

Link: http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2...th-orioles.html?

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 12:00 AM)
Here a thought (More sarcastic and for a laugh but what the heck). What about Mark Reynolds? His option was declined but he is still Arb eligible. I know with Dunn and him you are guaranteed almost 400 K's a year but he does average 25-30 HR's a year and for one year at a decent price (4-5 million) wouldn't he be worth the risk of a stopgap?

He's supposed to be AWFUL with the glove.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 12:00 AM)

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 04:55 AM)
He's supposed to be AWFUL with the glove.

Yeah, unless you moved Dunn somewhere else, he is a bad fit for this team.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 06:58 AM)
So which is it? I've heard here at Soxtalk that Youkilis was not popular in the clubhouse. Are there any documented reports that he wasn't liked, or is this just speculation?

Given that this hasn't been brought up in a week and the post was drowned out, my guess is it is pure soxtalk speculation painting a point that he wouldn't be welcomed back to this organization. Once people start to see that the Royals won't trade Moustakas and San Diego won't trade Headley (how did he get on the White Sox radar?), they'll start giving Youkilis some love...or at least realize the Sox will be stuck with a lousy 3b while they groom someone in the minors.