KW Jr. Traded

flavum

No, but really, what an odd and useless trade. If I had to guess, Kenny must have said "Hey, my son is buried on this depth chart of talented minor league OFers, please trade him somewhere he has a chance." because maybe Kenny never had the soul to trade away his own flesh and blood. I don't know, but it's an odd trade considering they both suck.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
KW never really wanted his son drafted by the Sox and there was not an easy way to solve the situation. Minor move, but removes a distraction. What are people going to do on this thread when the Gameday posts come up?

I think you hit it on the head, with removing the distraction. Benefits everyone, including KW Jr.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
I figured you'd be happy, but... "Called it"? When did you call it? I've seen you complain about him more than anyone else (and I agreed with you), but I don't recall you saying you predicted he'd be traded.

I said one time that as soon as KW was no longer the GM, one of the first things that would happen would be his son being released or traded.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Tracy is a legitimate minor league player. KW, Jr. probably is not.

I assume this is a joke, right? Mark Tracy is a 24-year-old 22nd-round draftee who has played three seasons of A Ball, with an OPS never higher than .758, as a 1B/DH. And it looks like he's only played in parts of those seasons, either due to injury or being a bench guy. In any case, he's actually less "legitimate" than KW Jr was, amazingly enough. They made the trade to get rid of the distraction and clear a path for more talented OF players in the Sox system. They offered him around, and this was probably the best they could get for him. He also happens to be a Chicago area kid.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
I think lost in all of this is Kenny Williams Jr. is presumably a real person, and is trying hard to succeed at his job. I wish him the best.

I don't think it is lost here, multiple people (myself included) said this was better for the player as well. KW Jr can get out from the pressure of being in Daddy's back yard, and the weirdness that probably caused with his teammates at times. Also, the one offensive position the Sox system actually has some good talent depth is outfield, so KW Jr had nowhere to go here. There are about 6 to 8 outfielders in the system, maybe more, that he'd be behind. Maybe the CO system lacks OF depth.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
We need a 1Bman for W-S next year, Black will be promoted, and Bucker nor Pangilinan is going to be our 1Bman there I hope.

Panglinan was released.

Barnum may get there quick, but probably not to open the season. They had an overflow of recent draftees that are C/1B combos, one of them may get there. Or they'll find someone on the heap.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
I assume this is a joke, right? Mark Tracy is a 24-year-old 22nd-round draftee who has played three seasons of A Ball, with an OPS never higher than .758, as a 1B/DH. And it looks like he's only played in parts of those seasons, either due to injury or being a bench guy. In any case, he's actually less "legitimate" than KW Jr was, amazingly enough. They made the trade to get rid of the distraction and clear a path for more talented OF players in the Sox system. They offered him around, and this was probably the best they could get for him. He also happens to be a Chicago area kid.

Not a joke, just a simple statement. Actually he is 27, but his last three years were at AAA level where he hit in the .260 range with power and defense. That makes him a legitimate albeit journeyman minor league player. KW, Jr has never got out of the .250's at any level, has little power, never played above AA (for good reason), and is a year younger than Tracy. Sorry if I struck a nerve.