**2012 Election Day thread**

Brian

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
We begin a new tomorrow, tomorrow.

How the hell could you want a President that says that?

That was Colbert's SuperPAC's slogan :lol:

Dear Friends of Colbert Super PAC,

I know it's been a while. I'm sorry I haven't called, written, stopped by, or appeared naked astride a centaur in your dreams. On behalf of myself, Colbert Super PAC, and the centaur, I apologize.

But do not assume that Americans For A Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow has been powerless. In fact, it's quite the opposite: we've been unpowerless. For proof, please enjoy the first five seconds of this clip of Mitt Romney earlier today. Go ahead, I've already seen it, I'll wait for you here in this email.

As you can see, as a contributor to Colbert Super PAC, your voice has clearly been heard, in the form of money. But as an American, you should also make your voice double-heard, in the form of a voice. So tomorrow, please find your nearest polling location and vote.

Remember: this is the most important election of our lifetime*, and will continue to be right up until the next most important election of our lifetime. So whoever you support, please vote. If you don't, the federal authorities consider wearing an “I Voted” sticker as an act of counterfeiting.

Yours sincerelyish,

Stephen Colbert

President and Tallymaster

Americans For A Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow

* Non-Reality-Show-Related Division

In relation to the Electoral College/gerrymandering discussion in the now-closed thread:

http://vfdemo.idvsolutions.com/districtmojo/

John Nelson's interactive Gerrymandering Mojo Index ranks redistricting on a scale of "Shenanigans!" to "Impressively Compact." Nelson rounds up of some of the most egregious examples, including Illinois' 17th Congressional District, which he calls "the rabbit on a skateboard"

Stolen from a facebook post...

"I've withheld political talk, but I'll say this just once.... If you vote, you cannot complain about the political and electoral system, or its results. You are saying that the current political and electoral system - with all its exaggerated rhetoric, lack of evidential and coherent reasoning, and corruption by finance - is nonetheless sufficient to 'buy' your voice. The act of voting, your 'buying-in' to the system, removes any incentive for fundamental change in the way we elect politicians and conduct political discourse. Your vote says that 'you can be had' by things as they stand; that the fear of short-term consequences on some issues (abortion, gun rights, gay rights, taxation, etc.) is so strong that you cannot hold out for long-term benefits. You therefore cannot complain about our short-sighted and dysfunctional system - along with all the hysteria, the rhetoric, the corruption - because you have acted to enable its perpetuation. You have endorsed it. The irony is that voting is perceived as a mechanism for change. Voting doesn't cause change; social movements with a sustained vision cause change. There are better ways to make progress, although they're not as easy and convenient as voting... they require actual thought and work instead of self-satisfying, knee-jerk emotionalism, and they lack the mechanism of social reinforcement (peer-pressure) to support them. I implore you to be brave and consider how best to craft this world into a better place. That is all."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Stolen from a facebook post...

"I've withheld political talk, but I'll say this just once.... If you vote, you cannot complain about the political and electoral system, or its results. You are saying that the current political and electoral system - with all its exaggerated rhetoric, lack of evidential and coherent reasoning, and corruption by finance - is nonetheless sufficient to 'buy' your voice. The act of voting, your 'buying-in' to the system, removes any incentive for fundamental change in the way we elect politicians and conduct political discourse. Your vote says that 'you can be had' by things as they stand; that the fear of short-term consequences on some issues (abortion, gun rights, gay rights, taxation, etc.) is so strong that you cannot hold out for long-term benefits. You therefore cannot complain about our short-sighted and dysfunctional system - along with all the hysteria, the rhetoric, the corruption - because you have acted to enable its perpetuation. You have endorsed it. The irony is that voting is perceived as a mechanism for change. Voting doesn't cause change; social movements with a sustained vision cause change. There are better ways to make progress, although they're not as easy and convenient as voting... they require actual thought and work instead of self-satisfying, knee-jerk emotionalism, and they lack the mechanism of social reinforcement (peer-pressure) to support them. I implore you to be brave and consider how best to craft this world into a better place. That is all."

I'm sorry, but, that is just moronic. Particularly the bolded. In fact, I think you can make a good argument for the exact opposite.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
I'm sorry, but, that is just moronic. Particularly the bolded. In fact, I think you can make a good argument for the exact opposite.

Solid arguments can be made on both sides of that line.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)

I actually like the message a lot. Your civic duty is way bigger than just showing up at the polls every four years, though we can't even seem to handle that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
I actually like the message a lot. Your civic duty is way bigger than just showing up at the polls every four years, though we can't even seem to handle that.

I said the same thing on Facebook, and I rarely make status posts.

My Status: "Seriously, take voting seriously or don't take part in the process just so you can say you did. If you don't know or understand the issues and you don't know what the candidates stand for, stay home."

And I mean that. Voting may be a right, but people need to treat that right as a privilege, regardless of which candidates they choose. I find it sad that people go vote just so they can say they voted, but have no clue what they voted for or why...other than someone told them to do so.

Yes, I realize I used seriously twice in that status...needed to be emphasized. ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)

I agree with what you say in this post, but that's not the message I got from the fb quote. That seemed like a boiler-plate "don't vote" message designed to discourage people from voting because the system is 'corrupt.'

The idea that not-voting will actually somehow make the system less corrupt/dumb/whatever is pretty silly, unless you're actually advocating for revolution.

edit: I say this with the caveat that I'm probably not going to vote in the House race because while Biggert's been following silly Republican policy the past several years, she's probably the least-disagreeable Republican in the House for me. Somewhat surprisingly to me, my wife received a call the other day from the IEA endorsing Biggert. Foster's embrace of Simpson-Bowles and his vote against cap-and-trade is enough to cost him my vote. If he were running against someone like Joe Walsh, I'd be voting for him.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Today's the day. What time do they start releasing actual numbers again? I think it is after West Coast polls close, right? They don't wait for Alaska and Hawaii, from what I recall.

I don't think they wait until after west coast, it's after polls close per the state.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
Chris Paul ‏@CP3

VOTE!!! #4MoreYears

We need 4 more years from President Obama

Paul McCartney sends his support to @BarackObama

Are you seriously going to post retweets of everyone on Twitter that supports Obama?