**2012 Election Day thread**

Brian

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Overall, early vote turnout OH up 2.44% in state. Down -4.1% in Obama/Kerry counties; up 14.39% in Bush/McCain counties.

— Josh Kraushaar (@HotlineJosh) November 6, 2012

Gannett issued a retraction and an apology, I think? I'm not 100% clear reading this post but I think the data was place-holder data and not real:

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/11/06/romn...h-early-voting/

A Cincinnati.com front-page link to a chart with dummy data, created as a design template for election results, was inadvertently posted early Tuesday morning.

It purported to show early voting totals in Ohio counties. However, no votes have been counted yet – by law counting doesn’t start until the polls close.

Cincinnati.com regrets the error.

4,469,393 EARLY #FLORIDA VOTES --- DEMS: 42.9% GOP: 39.1%

If Obama wins FLA, this election is over

#NEVADA EARLY VOTES: 701,845 ---- DEMS:43.9% GOP: 37.0%

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
It would be nice, but I am not convinced it would really matter. Indiana had over 200 hours of early voting spread over a month+.

Some states still do not have any early voting, or they restrict early voting on certain days for arbitrary and partisan reasons e.g. Ohio not having early voting this past Sunday.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Constitutional Amendment 49 would change Section 5 of the General Provisions clause in the State Constitution so that a 60 percent vote would be required to approve a benefits increase for state pension plans, from the state level all the way down to local school boards. The amendment is 700 words long, full of confusing legalese past its lead sentence, and labor unions across Illinois believe Amendment 49's true purpose is to be a backdoor to remove the protections on the benefits of state employees.

This is another problem with these law makers...using confusing legalese to pass laws that are completely grey area and full of potential for abuse.

Labor unions are only saying these things because they don't want to make it harder to raise pensions.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
Id rather not get rid of 11/11 seeing as that is a world holiday. There really is no reason that election day cant just be a holiday on its own.

I am sure employers would rather not give their people another payed holiday. So, many would probably argue if you want to add a new holiday, another needs to be removed.

I picked to merge Veterans and Memorial day because.. lets be honest, on most memorial day observances, we already honor current veterans.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
That math doesnt even make sense, unless Ohio is overwhelmingly Democrat.

It was an error. They posted place-holder data.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121106/CINCI/121106009/

A Cincinnati.com front-page link to a chart with dummy data, created as a design template for election results, was inadvertently posted early Tuesday morning.

It purported to show early voting totals in Ohio counties. However, no votes have been counted yet – by law counting doesn't start until the polls close.

Cincinnati.com regrets the error.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
When did it switch from Armistice Day?

1954? Is when they started using Veterans day, but that is obviously because of World War II and the WWI no longer being "The war to end all wars."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
I am sure employers would rather not give their people another payed holiday. So, many would probably argue if you want to add a new holiday, another needs to be removed.

I picked to merge Veterans and Memorial day because.. lets be honest, on most memorial day observances, we already honor current veterans.

If voting is important, then its day off should be on its own merit. Not some sort of tradeoff. Its not happening anytime soon, the people with power like this method.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Overall, early vote turnout OH up 2.44% in state. Down -4.1% in Obama/Kerry counties; up 14.39% in Bush/McCain counties.

— Josh Kraushaar (@HotlineJosh) November 6, 2012

That's strange, I read somewhere that early voting in Democratic parts of Ohio were strong.

Im not sure where these numbers are coming from, I didnt think they could report on them until after the polls are closed. Id be suspicious regardless of whether it favors Dems or Repubs.

(this is in reference to the NC number, I know the Ohio one was fake)

Edited by Soxbadger