**2012 Election Day thread**

Brian

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I should tell my mom I voted for Obama today. She might lose all zest for life. Most of my relativos are Republican through and through. I just couldn't vote for Romney. I don't see how anybody could. He's creepy. If any of you like Romney, give me one quick reason why.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
Not that were doomed.

But making statements that hes only writing a victory speech. His campaign saying they are going to win big.

Conversely, Obama is kind of being low key.

As I said, it gives me pause.

Damn. People must really be sick of Obama if they are hiring Romney to replace him. My guess is people are firing Obama more than hiring Romney.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Open-source is arguably more beneficial from a security standpoint. Any system, be it physical or cyber, has countless vulnerabilities both known and unknown. Getting those systems poked and proded in the public realm can bring many of those vulnerabilities to light. And, as with any aspect of cybersecurity, step one is physical security--without access to the physical voting machines, all of that "hacking" is useless.

http://jps.anl.gov/Volume3/Paper1_Loughlin.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software_security

And I strongly disagree. Also, this isn't code that is already exposed to the internet via connections like other software, the comparisons aren't as valid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Well, I truly was an undecided voter heading into the poll just now.

I voted for Obama. I'm sick of having to base my decision on who I think is the best of 2 bad candidates. I can't remember the last time I was fired up about a presidential candidate.

But of all the Soxtalker's I think I was the only undecided voter heading into today and I did vote for Obama though I do think he's been a poor leader. Or a very blah leader at best.

I think Romney is a scary guy who gives me a weird vibe. He just does. I won't offend the world and say I voted for Obama cause he is a Sox fan and Bears fan, but that is one positive in his corner at least. Romney said nothing during the campaign that made me think he'd be good. Obama I feel ran a poor campaign. He sort of was campainging sort of was President. He didnt seem to care to get any message out IMO.

Knowing me as you all do, are u surprised I voted for the Big O today?

To me, this election and 2008 were better in terms of the options available, than either 2000 or 2004 (which I think were a true low point).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
Why even allow a sign like this in PA? It's only going to add confusion.

photoid.jpg

The State of PA itself was sending out flyers with false information saying that an ID was required to vote, as well.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/...day.php?ref=fpb

WASHINGTON — Voting and civil rights activists said Tuesday that Pennsylvania’s new voter ID law was causing mass confusion across the state as people tried to go to the polls.

Because of a judge’s ruling in October, the law attempted to walk a line by allowing poll workers to ask voters for photo identification while also giving voters a big loophole to cast a regular ballot without it.

The Election Protection coalition’s voter hotline here began lighting up with complaints soon after polls opened. Some voters said they were upset about being asked for photo identification. Others said they had been turned away because they did not provide it.

“We’ve definitely gotten reports about voters being turned away,” Eric Marshall, co-director of the Election Protection coalition, told TPM. “We’ve had reports of people who have shown up, been asked, and when they didn’t show ID they were turned away.”

Why allow them to ask for ID if it isn't required? This was only ever going to lead to problems and solves nothing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
Tell you the truth I never even thought of that as I perused the ballot. Interesting concept, though.

A few years back, when the IL governors' race was between Blago and Judy Baar Topinka, I wrote in Abraham Lincoln.

Those were less attractive options than the main event today, but not by too much.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
A few years back, when the IL governors' race was between Blago and Judy Baar Topinka, I wrote in Abraham Lincoln.

Those were less attractive options than the main event today, but not by too much.

yeah, that was just a horrible choice. Worse than any governor or Prez election I can ever remember. Truly needed an option for death.

It really isnt about Obama or Romney, its just the continued battle of Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson.

If you live in the city, your life is really not comparable to someone who lives in the country. Thus city folk are generally on 1 side of gun control, welfare, etc. where as country folk are on the other.

The oddity of this election is that Romney is somewhat an urban candidate, but he was limited by the "core" values of certain Republicans

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)

States' rights!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
I'm sure its an exit poll question referring to their undecided status prior to actually voting. So far those undecideds have decided 50% each way.

I don't believe they can release exit polling information yet.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
Will be voting for Gary Johnson soon. I'm hoping he gets about 3%.

That would be a death blow for Romney, methinks

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
yeah, that was just a horrible choice. Worse than any governor or Prez election I can ever remember. Truly needed an option for death.

That absolutely has to be the worst election in my memory. Truly horrendous.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Not that were doomed.

But making statements that hes only writing a victory speech. His campaign saying they are going to win big.

Conversely, Obama is kind of being low key.

As I said, it gives me pause.

That's part of their strategy.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
That would be a death blow for Romney, methinks

Although I'm voting for Gary Johnson because I believe he is the best candidate, I hope it does cost him the election. As a registered Republican, I hope it sends a message to them that they have to reform the party especially on social/civil issues.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Two of those have Obama winning Florida. That's not a foregone conclusion at this point is it?

No, but they're all "no toss-ups" versions so they gotta go to someone.

Obama can lose Florida and still have multiple paths to 271, though, as shown by the RCP (upper-right) projection. Personally, I'd be a little surprised if Obama wins Florida.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)

For all the bad that Blago did, I'll give him credit for the open road tolls (which I use every day to and from work) and Allkids (which I used for my kid's insurance for many years).

poll closing times:

7:00 est

Georgia

Indiana

Kentucky

South Carolina

Vermont

Virginia

7:30 est

North Carolina

Ohio

West Virginia

8:00 est

Alabama

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Illinois

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Mississippi

Missouri

New Hampshire

New Jersey

Oklahoma

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

Tennessee

Washington, DC

8:30 est

Arkansas

9:00 est

Arizona

Colorado

Kansas

Louisiana

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

New Mexico

New York

South Dakota

Texas

Wisconsin

Wyoming

10:00 est

Iowa

Montana

Nevada

Utah

11:00 est

California

Hawaii

Idaho

North Dakota

Oregon

Washington

1:00 est

Alaska

Interesting that over the last week or so more have become "toss-ups," at least according to realclearpolitics.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/20...ollege_map.html

Still Obama with the 1-3% lead in most of those. I'd be surprised if Romney won, but I don't think it would be unheard of. There's a lot of close states and if more people than expected show up he could easily win a few of those big states.

Edit: It's also pretty sad when you look at how much less people are voting (or expected to vote) for Obama than 4 years ago. A competent Republican candidate would have cleaned house in this election. Unfortunately, you have to sell your soul to the devil to get elected as the GOP candidate, even if you truly are more moderate.

Edited by Jenksismybitch