**2012 Election Day thread**

Brian

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 12:57 AM)
i assume he's referencing latinos

The GOP are not anti-Latino. I can only assume he is talking about immigration. The message has been pro legal immigration. I was born in Ireland and immigrated here through the same legal immigration process that others have used no matter of race, religion, or country of origin. As an immigrant I support immigration. Sure would I have loved to have my entire family over here, absolutely. But it didn't work out. Their situation is just as poor and dire as any poor country. Just as my families was.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)
The guys on fox news really dont believe that there is a fundamental issue, this was just a tactical issue and as recently as last week Romney was winning easy.

Its just odd.

They will never admit Nate Silver was pretty much right on.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
Exactly. Obama and Romney are probably very similar when it comes to their personal beliefs.

Not trying to anger anybody, just stand up for God. Notice both candidates mentioned God a lot in their speeches tonite. How do people like Bill Maher accept this?? How do those on here who don't believe in God react to this?? Maher mocks anybody who says there is a God. Kudos to both Obama and Romney for not being afraid of religion!!!

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:17 AM)
The GOP are not anti-Latino. I can only assume he is talking about immigration. The message has been pro legal immigration. I was born in Ireland and immigrated here through the same legal immigration process that others have used no matter of race, religion, or country of origin. As an immigrant I support immigration. Sure would I have loved to have my entire family over here, absolutely. But it didn't work out. Their situation is just as poor and dire as any poor country. Just as my families was.

I think your family should be able to come to the US. We shouldnt be denying people access to our country.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 01:48 AM)
Not trying to anger anybody, just stand up for God. Notice both candidates mentioned God a lot in their speeches tonite. How do people like Bill Maher accept this?? How do those on here who don't believe in God react to this?? Maher mocks anybody who says there is a God. Kudos to both Obama and Romney for not being afraid of religion!!!

It doesnt bother me. Many people believe in god and go to church. I have no problem with that. Just dont force me to live my life by religious values is all I ask.

So are you agreeing that the current immigration process is s***ty or not?

The GOP is seen as anti-Latino by the Latino community for a variety of reasons.

This is pretty much more along the lines of my point.

People are making Silver out to be a genius when, in reality, he's simply being real, and not manipulating numbers to come to his conclusions.

I don't think his "algorithms" are any better than anyone else's, he's simply not futzing with them for no apparent partisan reason.

Nate the first one I've seen do a comprehensive study of how accurate all of the various polls have been historically, and factored in their historical biases into his equations. He actually gives more weight to polls that are historically more accurate.

On the very last day before the election he flipped Florida from Romney having a 55.6% chance of winning to Obama having a 50.3% chance of winning, and look how that is the one state still too close to call, and he was right on the rest of the states.

There is always the chance that one or more of the polls he uses acquires some new flaw that he can't account for, and there's always the chance that something major happens at the last minute to sway voters after it's too late for polling to pick that up, but his methodology is extremely solid.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 04:13 AM)
So are you agreeing that the current immigration process is s***ty or not?

I think we need to work on getting a better handle on work visas and with that a proper path to citizenship. With that being said I do find issue with those who decide not to honor our countries borders and to circumvent the process because they want to. Why do other immigrants have to go through the process and do it legally while others just come over. I have relatives who couldn't come over at the time, they honored our laws. And just because people on the south side with their notre dame tattoos think its just great to travel to Dublin and get a pint and you see pretty pictures of it doesnt mean that its great for all. It was a bit different for my family. Especially those who were in Enniskillen during the troubles. Do you know what kind of jobs they got being catholic when jackasses are blowing s*** up. The argument about the living conditions and the amount of work only goes so far because you could make that argument all over the world. Hell I would argue that countries where there is genocide and war should get preferential treatment over others.

So yes to work visa's with path to citizenship.

No to just marching over here because of a geographical advantage is had over others in the world.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 06:46 AM)
Nate the first one I've seen do a comprehensive study of how accurate all of the various polls have been historically, and factored in their historical biases into his equations. He actually gives more weight to polls that are historically more accurate.

On the very last day before the election he flipped Florida from Romney having a 55.6% chance of winning to Obama having a 50.3% chance of winning, and look how that is the one state still too close to call, and he was right on the rest of the states.

There is always the chance that one or more of the polls he uses acquires some new flaw that he can't account for, and there's always the chance that something major happens at the last minute to sway voters after it's too late for polling to pick that up, but his methodology is extremely solid.

He's very good at what he does...but I don't think he's great at it because he's discovered some super secret algorithm or method that nobody else is privy too. I think he's great because of who he's being compared too. While doing this sort of work is time consuming, and I won't pretend it's not, I think he's successful because he's trying to NOT screw with his numbers when practically everyone else IS. When you look at others like Dick Morris, etc...it's apparent they fudge their numbers for who knows what reason. Maybe they want a segment on a talk show to talk about how they came up with their absurd numbers, and they realize that a week after the election nobody will care about how wrong they were, and then they can write 8 books on polling conspiracies!

Silver seems content with extrapolating the truth (or as close to the truth as he can get), whether it shows his choice of candidate is winning or losing, while most of the others don't seem content with that. He probably sees this as his path to riches, while others see a different path. For some reason, they'd rather make it look like their candidate is winning when reality says otherwise. I think television stations also have a vested interest in making these races look closer than they actually are to keep eyes on their product (and advertisements).

I'd probably feel Silver was some sort of mega genius if his "competition" wasn't a bunch of incompetent party shills. As it stands, I agree he's mostly accurate, but I think others could be too if they didn't have some other agenda in play.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 06:50 AM)
I also voted for Gary, but the numbers I saw this morning were that he didn't even make 1%.

I believe he needed 5%.

I also voted for Gary Johnson.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
how's it feel to waste your vote?

Is it a wasted vote to show that there is a section of the United States that's sick and tired of the D's and R's?

I don't think so.

How's it feel to be part of the problem that feels that voting other than D or R is wasting your vote? Less people like you would give us a more vibrant political system. What's worse, you don't even recognize that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 07:29 AM)
I believe he needed 5%.

I also voted for Gary Johnson.

So did I. I said months ago I wasn't voting for Romney. I voted for Paul in the primaries and Johnson in the election. Next time maybe the Republicans can nominate someone with a spine.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
Is it a wasted vote to show that there is a section of the United States that's sick and tired of the D's and R's?

I don't think so.

How's it feel to be part of the problem that feels that voting other than D or R is wasting your vote? Less people like you would give us a more vibrant political system. What's worse, you don't even recognize that.

I would kill for an out of my wallet and out of my bedroom candidate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)

The worst part is, from what I know of him, Reddy is a good guy...as are most people here. But this attitude that unless you vote for a D or R (or a winner), is wasting your vote is absurd to me...and unless he was kidding, I find it kind of sad.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
The worst part is, from what I know of him, Reddy is a good guy...as are most people here. But this attitude that unless you vote for a D or R (or a winner), is wasting your vote is absurd to me...and unless he was kidding, I find it kind of sad.

Some people have to identify with something else to feel validated. A few of us feel no such need.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)

I actually wish they'd all be forced to add a vote of no confidence to the ballot (none of the above), I heard Jesse Ventura pose this idea once, and I thought it was brilliant. Worse, I think he's right...they won't do it because they know none of the above would win.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)
Now that this godforsaken election is over, I fully expect all the loudmouths who claimed they would move out of the country if their guy wasn't elected to pack their bags and leave. Or, you know, they can nut up and shut up and just deal with this "abomination" (Obama Nation), as they'd probably call it. Barack Obama is our president again, and you are an American. Support him or get out.

Brandon McCarthy ‏@BMcCarthy32

So wait, do the GOPers who are moving to Canada now just swap houses with the dems that moved there when Bush was re-elected?

This is why I voted for Gary Johnson.

Hoping to make a difference someday in our rotten to the core two party system.

While my vote may be viewed as wasted to some, at least I voted for 'something' other than the status quo.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
I actually wish they'd all be forced to add a vote of no confidence to the ballot (none of the above), I heard Jesse Ventura pose this idea once, and I thought it was brilliant. Worse, I think he's right...they won't do it because they know none of the above would win.

Some states have that as an option for at least some races. Incumbents hate it.