How much are you willing to offer Josh Hamilton?

South Paw

74 members have voted

1. 1. How high would you go on Hamilton?

• I'd rather not sign him.
    • 1 year/$25M
    • 2 years/$50M
    • 3 years/$75M
    • 4 years/$100M
    • 5 years/$125M
    • 6 years/$150M
    • 7 years/$175M
    • As much as it takes.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
I just trying to say if he doesn't meet those guys there's a chance he's never put in the position to do drugs. He didnt have a problem until he met those guys at the parlor. Yes he should have had the will power to say no but he was drunk and put in that situation and made the poor decision in saying yes and then he was balls deep in the stuff. I'm not arguing that he didnt make the wrong decision Im saying IN MY OPINION it probably doesnt happen if hes with the right people.

I think everyone else is saying that if his personality was that weak, what is to say he doesn't accidently walk in on a teammate doing coke and get addicted to that? As I pointed out earlier, he seems to have a personality that makes him prone to getting addicted to whatever he is into. He couldn't just get one tattoo, he got seven. He can't just have a beer, he has 20, and then is looking for cocaine. It isn't just the chance encounter that is the problem, it is Hamilton's complete lack of willpower.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
I think everyone else is saying that if his personality was that weak, what is to say he doesn't accidently walk in on a teammate doing coke and get addicted to that? As I pointed out earlier, he seems to have a personality that makes him prone to getting addicted to whatever he is into. He couldn't just get one tattoo, he got seven. He can't just have a beer, he has 20, and then is looking for cocaine. It isn't just the chance encounter that is the problem, it is Hamilton's complete lack of willpower.

Boom roasted

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
I just trying to say if he doesn't meet those guys there's a chance he's never put in the position to do drugs. He didnt have a problem until he met those guys at the parlor. Yes he should have had the will power to say no but he was drunk and put in that situation and made the poor decision in saying yes and then he was balls deep in the stuff. I'm not arguing that he didnt make the wrong decision Im saying IN MY OPINION it probably doesnt happen if hes with the right people.
Didn't you say he got injured in a car wreck with his parents?

So, it's his parents' fault he descended into drugs and alcohol. If he wasn't injured from the car wreck, he'd have been playing ball instead of shooting heroin!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
Boom roasted

I wouldn't say roasted but I will say its a valid point....But I don't know how often drugs are done in the clubhouse, if at all but I suppose it could have happened.

I'm 25 years old and have never been put in the position to do hard drugs...I know it happens, but not often enough for me to think if he never met the guys at the parlor it woulda happened anyway. It may have, it might not have....I think if he was around his family everyday like he was previously it wouldn't have got to the point it did.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
Didn't you say he got injured in a car wreck with his parents?

So, it's his parents' fault he descended into drugs and alcohol. If he wasn't injured from the car wreck, he'd have been playing ball instead of shooting heroin!

If you wanna look at it that way sure..It was a series of events that lead to his demise.

The Sox will need at least a couple of middle of the order hitters after Konerko is gone next year, and then Dunn the year after.

There are no big impact left handed bats waiting in the minors.

Why not offer Hamilton 5 years, at $20 million per year, for a total of $100 million? Sure, the payroll would be higher for two years, until Konerko and Dunn are gone, along with their contracts, but at least the lineup would be competitive with the Tigers.

Move Viciedo to 3RD, put Hamilton in his spot in Left, and call it an off season.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
The Sox will need at least a couple of middle of the order hitters after Konerko is gone next year, and then Dunn the year after.

Why not offer Hamilton 5 years, at $20 million per year, for a total of $100 million? Sure, the payroll would be higher for two years, until Konerko and Dunn are gone, along with their contracts, but at least the lineup would be competitive with the Tigers.

Move Viciedo to 3RD, put Hamilton in his spot in Left, and call it an off season.

They can offer Hamilton that, but he'd get a contract worth anywhere between $50-75 million more than that

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
They can offer Hamilton that, but he'd get a contract worth anywhere between $50-75 million more than that

Perhaps, but that would be what Hamilton has been asking, which is $175 Million for 7 years. It doesn't appear that any GM has been willing to give him that. He may not have any takers at that price. We'll see, soon enough I suspect.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)

DeAza

Rios

Hamilton

Paulie

Dunn

Tank

Hard for everybody to be cold on a given night there. I like your style!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Perhaps, but that would be what Hamilton has been asking, which is $175 Million for 7 years. It doesn't appear that any GM has been willing to give him that. He may not have any takers at that price. We'll see, soon enough I suspect.

Let's amend my initial "$50" to "$25."

He's going to get at least 5 years. You have alluded to it in the $100/5 deal. We will agree on that. I, too, believe that, due to age and prior history, he is going to struggle to get a 7 year deal, but that I think you could see an extremely unique sort of contract to which he is negotiated.

But, $20 mill a year? That's a hometown discount number. Unless you have insider knowledge with regards to him wanting to play with the White Sox, there's no way he's going to take $20 mill a year. He's going to take the $25 mill that is offered to him.

The absolute worst guaranteed money I see to him is $125 million. Unless something drastic comes out between this point and Christmas, he's going to get a monstrosity of a contract that would be horrendous to the entirety of the White Sox francise.

Trivia question, with regards to this thread - how many $100+ million contracts have the White Sox ever signed with a baseball player? You have....(looks at fake watch, then looks at real clock)......5 years to tell me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 03:39 AM)
Let's amend my initial "$50" to "$25."

He's going to get at least 5 years. You have alluded to it in the $100/5 deal. We will agree on that. I, too, believe that, due to age and prior history, he is going to struggle to get a 7 year deal, but that I think you could see an extremely unique sort of contract to which he is negotiated.

But, $20 mill a year? That's a hometown discount number. Unless you have insider knowledge with regards to him wanting to play with the White Sox, there's no way he's going to take $20 mill a year. He's going to take the $25 mill that is offered to him.

The absolute worst guaranteed money I see to him is $125 million. Unless something drastic comes out between this point and Christmas, he's going to get a monstrosity of a contract that would be horrendous to the entirety of the White Sox francise.

Trivia question, with regards to this thread - how many $100+ million contracts have the White Sox ever signed with a baseball player? You have....(looks at fake watch, then looks at real clock)......5 years to tell me.

You're probably correct on all points. However, it's going to be pretty difficult to compete with the Tigers, if the Sox don't spend the money. In the last couple of years, while Detroit keeps adding big names, we are letting guys go. Last year the Sox subtracted Buerhle and Quentin, this year it will be A. J. and Youkilis. Without a great farm system, this is not exactly a strategy for success.

Oh well, maybe the Sox can take the scraps left after Hamilton signs his big contract. He will most likely sign with a big money team, and whomever he replaces will probably be on the trading block. Let's hope that he's a left handed hitter, and that the Sox could take him off the hands of whichever G.M. needs to dump him.

Edited by Lillian

Following up on a point I made in my last post, it's fun to speculate about which players might become available from the respective candidates to sign Hamilton. Almost any team with that kind of money, and chance to win, is going to have talent that may have to be jettisoned, in order to make room for Hamilton and his salary.

This article gives the Vegas odds makers' choices for likely teams:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-b...ltons-next-team

Here is the list:

San Francisco Giants 3-1

Atlanta Braves 5-1

Texas Rangers 5-1

Philadelphia Phillies 7-1

New York Yankees 9-1

Chicago Cubs 9-1

Boston Red Sox 9-1

Pittsburgh Pirates 10-1

Toronto Blue Jays 10-1

Los Angeles Dodgers 15-1

Which left handed bats do you think might become available, from the respective teams on that list, if Hamilton should sign there?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
Following up on a point I made in my last post, it's fun to speculate about which players might become available from the respective candidates to sign Hamilton. Almost any team with that kind of money, and chance to win, is going to have talent that may have to be jettisoned, in order to make room for Hamilton and his salary.

This article gives the Vegas odds makers' choices for likely teams:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-b...ltons-next-team

Here is the list:

San Francisco Giants 3-1

Atlanta Braves 5-1

Texas Rangers 5-1

Philadelphia Phillies 7-1

New York Yankees 9-1

Chicago Cubs 9-1

Boston Red Sox 9-1

Pittsburgh Pirates 10-1

Toronto Blue Jays 10-1

Los Angeles Dodgers 15-1

Which left handed bats do you think might become available, from the respective teams on that list, if Hamilton should sign there?

Off the top of my head, looking at those teams, Curtis Granderson is the only impact LH bat on those teams that could be traded.

He's another boom or bust player who might not be the best add but would certainly add more production to the lineup.

Here are a few possibilities for players who could become available if their team signs Hamilton:

San Francisco Giants 3-1 Angel Pagan (switch hitter)

Atlanta Braves 5-1 Martin Prado (right handed)

Texas Rangers 5-1

Philadelphia Phillies 7-1 Domonic Brown (left handed)

New York Yankees 9-1 Curtis Granderson (left handed)

Chicago Cubs 9-1 Alfonso Soriano (RH)

Boston Red Sox 9-1 Jacoby Ellsbury (left handed)

Pittsburgh Pirates 10-1 Travis Snider (left handed) Garret Jones (LH)

Toronto Blue Jays 10-1 (I think the Jays have spent their money, and then some)

Los Angeles Dodgers 15-1 Andre Ethier (left handed) Carl Crawford (LH)

I'm sure that I've missed some, but there isn't much on that list. They are either right handed, or not middle of the order bats.

I agree with "2nd City" that Granderson is the only impact, left handed bat, and I'm not sure I'd want that contract and his inconsistency.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)

People give MLB GM's way too much credit around here. Jayson Werth got $126 million for 7 years at age 31. Someone will match Hamilton's asking price. It only takes one.

ESPN asked twenty writers where Hamilton would end uo. Two said the Sox. One said five years, 125 mil. Other, four years for 81 mil.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...amilton-ends-up

I asked the SweetSpot blog network to make predictions on where Josh Hamilton ends up. As an indication of how unpredictable the Hamilton market is, there were 11 different destinations -- including two bloggers who predicted Tampa Bay, Hamilton's original organization and where he still lives in the offseason.

Nobody predicted a Prince Fielder/Albert Pujols-level $200 million contract. Several predicted, however, that the market would essentially bottom out.

Rangers: 7 years, $160 million

Rangers: 6 years, $120 million

Rangers: 5 years, $100 million

Rangers: 4 years, $100 million

Orioles: 6 years, $160 million

Mariners: 5 years, $130 million

Mariners: 5 years, $115 million

Red Sox: 5 years, $135 million

Red Sox: 5 years, $120 million (with sixth-year vesting option)

Rays: 2 years, $30 million

Rays: 1 year, $25 million

Phillies: 5 years, $125 million

Brewers: 4 years, $108 million (with fifth-year option)

Brewers: 4 years, $100 million (with $25 million vesting option)

Brewers: 4 years, $85 million (plus fifth-year option)

White Sox: 5 years, $125 million

White Sox: 4 years, $81.25 million

Yankees: 3 years, $48 million

Angels: 6 years, $177 million (plus $23 million option)

Nationals: 4 years, $95 million

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
ESPN asked twenty writers where Hamilton would end uo. Two said the Sox. One said five years, 125 mil. Other, four years for 81 mil.

Highly doubtful, obviously. But it if happened, the deal would be closer to (if not lower than) 4/$81MM.