How much are you willing to offer Josh Hamilton?

South Paw

74 members have voted

1. 1. How high would you go on Hamilton?

• I'd rather not sign him.
    • 1 year/$25M
    • 2 years/$50M
    • 3 years/$75M
    • 4 years/$100M
    • 5 years/$125M
    • 6 years/$150M
    • 7 years/$175M
    • As much as it takes.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
KW and Hahn have both said, they pretty much ask about everyone. Doesn't mean it will work out. But I'd bet they asked.

I'm pretty sure they know without asking, just hearing the gossip from agents and the news that his asking price is well outside of anything the White Sox would consider, espeically if the Sox are just tinkering around the edges for bargains.

I still fancy my previous idea, if possible, of trading Rios straight up, or in a roundabout way to acquire a 3B and signing Josh.

I think he's gotta have SOME kinda trade value that can help us get a 3B. Even if they have to include Q/Santiago and another top prospect in the trade I'd do it in a heartbeat if it means we get a quality 3B.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
I still fancy my previous idea, if possible, of trading Rios straight up, or in a roundabout way to acquire a 3B and signing Josh.

I think he's gotta have SOME kinda trade value that can help us get a 3B. Even if they have to include Q/Santiago and another top prospect in the trade I'd do it in a heartbeat if it means we get a quality 3B.

They would have to think like this to free up money if they had thoughts about Hamilton (or someone similar). I still expect Floyd to be moved at some point to free up his money, but they probably need to do more to accomodate a big move.

5 writers on crack

Rays: 2 years, $30 million

Rays: 1 year, $25 million

Really? Hamilton's going to take a 1 or 2 year deal? No.

White Sox: 5 years, $125 million

White Sox: 4 years, $81.25 million

No.

Yankees: 3 years, $48 million

I mean, really? The team who has spent the most money of any professional American sports team (as far as I am aware) on player personnel over the previous 5, 10, 15 years...and they'll not only get him for fewer years, but also at a discount? Recall that this was the team that gave Derek Jeter 3/$51 after he put up a .710 OPS.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
5 writers on crack

Really? Hamilton's going to take a 1 or 2 year deal? No.

No.

I mean, really? The team who has spent the most money of any professional American sports team (as far as I am aware) on player personnel over the previous 5, 10, 15 years...and they'll not only get him for fewer years, but also at a discount? Recall that this was the team that gave Derek Jeter 3/$51 after he put up a .710 OPS.

The only possible way I see him taking a one year deal is if the offers are too small and too short. But I really doubt that scenario happens.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
How about the 2 years, $30 million? Like he is really gonna take $15 million a year on a short deal? That's the most ridiculous.

A two or three year deal doesn't make any sense. He might as well sign the biggest one year deal he can find, and play for a contract again. Even four seems a bit short to me. I'd say any intelligent guesses have to be either one year, or five plus years.

If the market really shrinks on Hamilton due to injury/health concerns, then I could see the White Sox making a play. Hamilton is the exact type of hitter we need and it's not like our system is abundent with left-handed hitting prospects.

I seriously doubt it happens, but if $100 million/4 years would get a deal done, then I'd definitely do it. We can always move Rios and some combination of Floyd/Thornton/Crain for salary relief to make the financials work. Plus Konerko's contract is off the books after this season, so long-term this is less of an issue.

Having said this, I'd be 100% against against a deal longer than 4 years and even $25 million/year is pushing it in terms of value. I just don't see how we fill our need for an impact left-handed bat without trading the farm and a Hamilton deal would be a risky, yet interesting alternative.