7. Andre Rienzo, rhp

8. Keon Barnum, 1b

9. Jared Mitchell, of

10. Chris Beck, rhp

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Definitely a better looking list than we've had recently. No real surprises anywhere on the list either

Yeah, this is about how I feel about it. It will be interesting to see if the rash of signings from Latin America start showing up on the list in the next couple of years. The system is moving forward, which is about all you can ask right now.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
Of that list, Keon Barnum surprises me simply because he hasn't done anything yet. Probably a testament to how thin our system is, but only having 50 PA since being drafted, and suffering an injury, it's sad that he is our 8th best prospect.

Well, serious question, how many 1st round (plus supplemental) round picks don't crack their org top 10s the following year?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
Well, serious question, how many 1st round (plus supplemental) round picks don't crack their org top 10s the following year?

I'm not sure. I suppose with teams in the bottom 3rd of the org. rankings like the Sox, that may not be uncommon at all, but I'd venture to guess that in the top 3rd of systems that would be somewhat rare.

Keon may not of had many at bats while at Bristol, but while there it was almost expected that he would hit a Home Run. He is a great kid, very friendly. My son and he flew around together a bit since their home flights were to Tampa. I would expect when he is healthy he should be pretty formidable at the plate.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Where are Nestor Molina and Simon Castro sitting these days? Between 10-15?

Molina was disappointing in 2012, not just in basic results but he also had health issues, and his peripherals indicated some issues. That's not to say it is time to write him off, but, I wouldn't put him top 10 either. 10-20 somewhere, probably above 15. Castro is a guy I think could make a case to crack that top 10 list, just as easily as a couple of the last guys on it.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
This is the best mainstream list I've seen so far. The only person they include that I don't have in my personal top 10 is Beck, but he's not a huge stretch in my book. I had Semien and DeMichele higher.

I really can't wait to see Beck next year. With the changes that are being talked about in his physical size, I am really intrigued by the possibility of his bouncing back to the form that made him a projected top 5 pick.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
This is the best mainstream list I've seen so far. The only person they include that I don't have in my personal top 10 is Beck, but he's not a huge stretch in my book. I had Semien and DeMichele higher.

Semien I could see, not sure about DeMichele. He's supposed to be a high floor guy, but not much ceiling room.

I found it interesting that they listed Hawkins as the best power hitter. I'd give Thompson that nod personally because of sample size, but I guess given room for development Hawkins is an arguable choice.

Another insteresting tidbit is that they don't project any of the SP prospects to break the 2016 rotation.

Very good assessment graph as well. That might be the best thing I have ever seen Phil Rogers write.

I definitely think they messed up that rotation a bit as well. Jake Peavy & Floyd still on the team in 2016? Probably won't happen.

I also agree that I look forward to seeing what Beck can do with physical adjustments. Let's hope this team starts to build within!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I really can't wait to see Beck next year. With the changes that are being talked about in his physical size, I am really intrigued by the possibility of his bouncing back to the form that made him a projected top 5 pick.

Same here. He seems to be a wild card who could have 1st RD potential.

Nice to see that the Articles associated with the Sox from BA named Eric Grabe as the Best Defensive Player of the 2012 Draft for the Sox, and Tagged him as having one of the best Debut's. Once they start to see his bat, which is by far his Best Tool, their assessments may change. I know he is older, but Grabe's mature slowly...I speak from experience there! :lol: