Top Prospects List, Offseason

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
Well the Sox were #1 after 2000. It produced a buttload of decent to good relievers, a few journeyman starting pitchers, a CFer who had his moments, a 3Bman who had an incredible calendar year, and some dude named MB.

IIRC the guy who ended up the best out of that class, wasn't even much of a prospect at the time.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
Not that I think much of the White Sox farm system, but let's try to keep in mind that these "farm rankings" are a huge steaming pile of bulls***...

Granted, this is the Cubs, but these same people ranked their farm in the top 10 five years in a row (even hitting #1, #2 and #3 in consecutive years).

2001: Cubs #2

2002: Cubs #1

2003: Cubs #3

2004: Cubs #7

2005: Cubs #10

...that really seemed to make a difference.

From http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...ntrankings.html

The Royals have had the best prospects in baseball for years and they still suck

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
Well the Sox were #1 after 2000. It produced a buttload of decent to good relievers, a few journeyman starting pitchers, a CFer who had his moments, a 3Bman who had an incredible calendar year, and some dude named MB.

None of the guys listed are why the Sox were ranked #1 at that time, which is my point.

Wasn't our "best pitching prospect" at that time that huge pitcher that was like 7'10" tall that could barely touch 90? I forget his name because of how awesome he was.

And Joe Borchard...wasn't he a can't miss 5 tool player that turned into an actual tool? The only reason anyone remembers him at all was because of that home run he hit at the cell.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
None of the guys listed are why the Sox were ranked #1 at that time, which is my point.

Wasn't our "best pitching prospect" at that time that huge pitcher that was like 7'10" tall that could barely touch 90? I forget his name because of how awesome he was.

And Joe Borchard...wasn't he a can't miss 5 tool player that turned into an actual tool? The only reason anyone remembers him at all was because of that home run he hit at the cell.

Rauch. He turned out to be a solid ML reliever, but injury issues derailed his very promising career. He was hitting mid-90s after the 2000 season and was actually the ranked as the top prospect in baseball by many (along with Sabathia, maybe Sheets, too).

No doubt that baseball prospects are the biggest risks out there, but it is clear the Sox have been lacking in impact players for the past few years. The more top level prospects you have, the better chance that one or two of them actually turns their potential into reality.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
Rauch. He turned out to be a solid ML reliever, but injury issues derailed his very promising career. He was hitting mid-90s after the 2000 season and was actually the ranked as the top prospect in baseball by many (along with Sabathia, maybe Sheets, too).

No doubt that baseball prospects are the biggest risks out there, but it is clear the Sox have been lacking in impact players for the past few years. The more top level prospects you have, the better chance that one or two of them actually turns their potential into reality.

Shoulder problems knocked about 5mph off his fastball that he never found again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
Also, Keith Law published his org list today, but it is for Insiders only.

28. Chicago White Sox

The system is improving, helped by a draft where the team opened up and looked more at prep players up top, and progress from a couple of arms already in the system, including two less-heralded pitchers from the 2011 draft (Erik Johnson and Scott Snodgress).

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
28. Chicago White Sox

The system is improving, helped by a draft where the team opened up and looked more at prep players up top, and progress from a couple of arms already in the system, including two less-heralded pitchers from the 2011 draft (Erik Johnson and Scott Snodgress).

Law does not hate the White Sox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Law does not hate the White Sox

I don't think he ever hated the White Sox. I do think he had something against KW. It has been amazing how much less negative he's been about the Sox system and prospects just in the past few months. Which is kinda funny, since the drafts have improved... and the last draft was still KW's.

Anyway, now with Hahn in there, Law seems much less negative, so maybe we'll get a more clear-headed perspective from him going forward.

I was poking fun, but I honestly didn't think he ever had a bias towards the White Sox. I think he has a bias towards toolsy players, and, being completely honest with ourselves, the White Sox haven't really had many toolsy players over the past 5-10 years. Perhaps he had a bias because of that, the Sox genuinely have not had a good system over that time frame. They've produced some major leaguers, but it's been primarily middle of the rotation starters and relievers, both of which are valuable, but neither of which you can really build a team with.

The biggest one that gets used is Chris Sale, but Law always clarified that he liked Sale's stuff, but was very afraid of durability concerns as a starting pitcher and projected him as a reliever.

Keith Law released his Organizational Top 10 rankings today on ESPN Insider.

White Sox

1. Courtney Hawkins

2. Carlos Sanchez

3. Andre Rienzo

4. Trayce Thompson

5. Erik Johnson

6.Scott Snodgress

7.Keenyn Walker

8.Joey DeMichele

9. Jared Mitchell

10. Chad Beck (Should be Chris).

Law reiterates that Hawkins is there best position player prospect in a long time and I believe Law had him as the #73 prospect in all of baseball. Law said that Johnson will help the big league club sooner than Snodgress. Also said they are both back end starters. (I know many feel that Johnson has #2 starter potential). Law mentions that the Sox had a good draft and went with high school players and was positive about their direction. Also mentions that Rienzo could be good once through the order in a relief role this season. Keith Law says that Walker showed surprising patience and he and Snodgress were both of the "Sleeper" prospects that Law mentioned.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
Keith Law released his Organizational Top 10 rankings today on ESPN Insider.

White Sox

1. Courtney Hawkins

2. Carlos Sanchez

3. Andre Rienzo

4. Trayce Thompson

5. Erik Johnson

6.Scott Snodgress

7.Keenyn Walker

8.Joey DeMichele

9. Jared Mitchell

10. Chad Beck (Should be Chris).

Law reiterates that Hawkins is there best position player prospect in a long time and I believe Law had him as the #73 prospect in all of baseball. Law said that Johnson will help the big league club sooner than Snodgress. Also said they are both back end starters. (I know many feel that Johnson has #2 starter potential). Law mentions that the Sox had a good draft and went with high school players and was positive about their direction. Also mentions that Rienzo could be good once through the order in a relief role this season. Keith Law says that Walker showed surprising patience and he and Snodgress were both of the "Sleeper" prospects that Law mentioned.

Rienzo at 3 seems high, especially if he thinks he is a reliever. DeMichelle at 8 seems waaaaay high to me. Too low a ceiling, though he is pretty polished.

I actually really like that list. I think he's just saying Rienzo could fly through an order now - that's a common theme among young pitchers, and then they learn how to pitch to hitters multiple times and improve. He could be a really good reliever this year.

As I've mentioned beore, I really like DeMichelle. I don't view him as centerpiece or building block, but his game seems like an .800 OPS that can be played around the field (at his peak).

MLB.com posted their Top 20. Usually their list shows some bias towards players the org obviously wants to play up, often guys who have been around awhile.

Here is their list:

1. Courtney Hawkins

2. Trayce Thompson

3. Erik Johnson

4. Carlos Sanchez

5. Jared Mitchell

6. Scott Snodgress

7. Keon Barnum

8. Keenyn Walker

9. Andre Rienzo

10. Nestor Molina

11. Chris Beck

12. Brandon Brennan

13. Jhan Marinez

14. Charlie Leesman

15. Simon Castro

16. Josh Phegley

17. Marcus Semien

18. Joey DeMichele

19. Santos Rodriguez

20. Tyler Saladino

Mitchell, Molina, Brennan and Leesman seem high to me. Castro and Semien seem low.

Carlos Sanchez made Law's list of Top 100 near misses:

Carlos Sanchez, IF

Top 2012 level: AAA (Charlotte)

Key stat: .323 AVG

Sanchez has bolted through the system -- he was still in the Dominican Summer League in 2010, and finished last year in Triple-A. I think he's a second baseman in the long run, but he's not useless at shortstop, and in another era he might have been a true "super-utility guy" who played 150 games but did so at multiple positions.

He's off the main list because I don't think he profiles as an above-average regular anywhere -- the defense at short isn't enough to make him an everyday guy, and while I think he'll hit .300, I don't think he has the power to be a star elsewhere. All that aside, though, I do like him as a second baseman with high probability to hit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)
It will be interesting to see if the pitching (Snodgress, Johnson, Rienzo) can have big years at the higher levels.

I'd seriously bet they will. I don't know about all of them, but a good fraction will be people that will be ignored by prospect lists next year because they're in the Sox org and then contributing at the majors or traded before we know it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 07:10 AM)
That's actually quite a positive review. If he could improve on the base paths he could have a Luis Castillo type ceiling hopefully

That's wishful thinking. Castillo used to steal 50-60 bags in his prime. Sanchez is not a particularly fast guy, so you are asking him to gain more speed and steal more bases. Think Ryan Theriot, maybe slightly better contact, if he pans out.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 12:27 AM)
That's wishful thinking. Castillo used to steal 50-60 bags in his prime. Sanchez is not a particularly fast guy, so you are asking him to gain more speed and steal more bases. Think Ryan Theriot, maybe slightly better contact, if he pans out.

Honestly, I've never seen him play, so I don't know what kind of speed he possesses, but SB numbers in the minors are not always indicative of a lack of speed. He could just be a poor baserunner, which could be something he improves on seeing as how he is still so young. They both have limited power, they both profile as a 2B, they both seem to be very good contact hitters for a high average and they both are switch hitters. I don't see how a Luis Castillo ceiling is that bad. That doesn't mean he will reach it, but best case scenario I think that is entirely plausible.