The South Will Rise Again?

knightni

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
But in 2012, it is news.

I just heard that it's up to 33 states. Were the numbers in those years similar?

Either way, I'm sure this is simply going to degrade into a red vs. blue argument that leads to childish crap from both sides. I think it's retarded no matter which side you're on.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
I just heard that it's up to 33 states. Were the numbers in those years similar?

Either way, I'm sure this is simply going to degrade into a red vs. blue argument that leads to childish crap from both sides. I think it's retarded no matter which side you're on.

This.

But regardless of who's president, whenever this comes up I wish the President would go "Ok. Do it." Then the states would realized that they're f***ed on their own as they most likely be landlocked or have to use USA airspace or water routes.

But that wouldn't be the best for the country...so let's leave it alone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
The biggest issue would be the military as Im pretty sure the side that is staying wouldnt want to give up their toys. Its not 1860 where you can just give humans guns and call it an army.

Before a country secedes, the US military removes all flying aircraft from the state. Good luck!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
But in 2012, it is news.

http://www.local12.com/news/state/story/Ke...zSA.cspx?rss=31

A political science professor at the University of Louisville said petitions like these are not uncommon. Similar petitions were filed after the 2000 election and again after the 2008 election.

While I doubt it would be good if it happened (and let's be real, there's zero chance of that. The POTUS would have to go around and personally rape every wife in the land to stir up that much hate at this point), there couldn't be better states to lose, right? Texas would hurt the most, they actually contribute value to the country, even if none of it is cultural :P

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
While I doubt it would be good if it happened (and let's be real, there's zero chance of that. The POTUS would have to go around and personally rape every wife in the land to stir up that much hate at this point), there couldn't be better states to lose, right? Texas would hurt the most, they actually contribute value to the country, even if none of it is cultural :P

You lose your #1 and #2 oil producers in Texas and North Dakota. That's a pretty big hit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
it is.

But you also lose most of the top 10 taker states in terms of federal aid.

Absolutely. I don't think anything will come of it anyways. I think, regardless of Democrats, Republican, or potential 3rd party winners in future Presidential elections, that people signing petitions for secession will become perpetual and nothing will ever come of it (at least in our lifetime).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Absolutely. I don't think anything will come of it anyways. I think, regardless of Democrats, Republican, or potential 3rd party winners in future Presidential elections, that people signing petitions for secession will become perpetual and nothing will ever come of it (at least in our lifetime).

It already has become perpetual. This happened after 2000, 2004, and 2008... at least.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
More interesting points are Puerto Rico voting to become a state and parts of Arizona wishing to break away and become their own state.

Puerto Rico didn't "Vote to become a state", FWIW: they were given 2 choices, statehood or a move away from the U.S. The Status Quo was not an option on the ballot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Puerto Rico didn't "Vote to become a state", FWIW: they were given 2 choices, statehood or a move away from the U.S. The Status Quo was not an option on the ballot.

It was non-binding, anyway

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
It was non-binding, anyway

Yeah, but had that option been on the ballot and statehood had won, it would have been much more interesting. You can't suggest that the non-binding vote was indicating a desire to change the current relationship when the status quo wasn't a given choice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
Yeah, but had that option been on the ballot and statehood had won, it would have been much more interesting. You can't suggest that the non-binding vote was indicating a desire to change the current relationship when the status quo wasn't a given choice.

They voted for an anti-statehood governor, so the status quo is probably what they are interested in.