First big move of the offseason prediction contest

The Ultimate Champion

What kind of move do we make & on what date does it happen?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. The type of move made

• We sign a free agent
    • We claim/take on a contract for nothing
    • We acquire via trade a good player for little or nothing in terms of talent - salary dump
    • We acquire via trade a good player for something that probably matters
    • We salary dump a player for literally nothing
    • We dump a salary for a return of some sort
    • We trade a name player for a good/great return
    • We make a 2-team blockbuster with name players on both sides
    • We make a 3-way deal
    • We make a 4-way deal
  2. 2. On this date

• Nov 13-16
    • Nov 17-19
    • Nov 21-23
    • Nov 24-26
    • Nov 27-29
    • Nov 30-Dec 2
    • Dec 3 (Winter Meetings Day 1)
    • Dec 4 (Winter Meetings Day 2)
    • Dec 5 (Winter Meetings Day 3)
    • Dec 6 (Winter Meetings Day 4)
  3. 3. The position of the newly signed player/trade centerpiece

• c
    • 1b
    • 2b
    • 3b
    • ss
    • dh
    • corner OF
    • cf
    • reliever
    • starting pitcher

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
Jake is probably the third best starter on the team (if Danks is healthy)

I would hope the hole at third would bring in someone better than that.

Oh, and I would also count a trade of, say, Viciedo/Quintana (selling high) or Beckham/Thornton/Floyd (cutting dead weight) no matter who the Sox get in return as "bigger" in that more people are involved and it affects the outlook of the team more.

John Danks has never put up a season as good as the season that Peavy did last year. Its honestly not even that close.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
The contracts match almost exactly, plus the players fit needs for both teams.

I guess it could fit a need for the Sox IF Michael Young's 2012 was a fluke and not due to the fact that he is 36 years old. And he has only played 65 games at 3B in the past two seasons. And pay him $16 million? No thanks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
I guess it could fit a need for the Sox IF Michael Young's 2012 was a fluke and not due to the fact that he is 36 years old. And he has only played 65 games at 3B in the past two seasons. And pay him $16 million? No thanks.

Its not a great deal, but is the kind of deal that is out there for 2012. It is a revenue neutral deal, it gives the Sox a 3B, and it gives them a two hole hitter. It also buys them another year at 3B if they can't bring back Youk.

For the Rangers it gives them a starter to replace Dempster, not to mention a starter who has actually proven he can pitch in a hitters paradise and in the AL. It also gives them a very good lefty to add to their pen.

To me it isn't ideal, but it does fit for both teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Its not a great deal, but is the kind of deal that is out there for 2012. It is a revenue neutral deal, it gives the Sox a 3B, and it gives them a two hole hitter. It also buys them another year at 3B if they can't bring back Youk.

For the Rangers it gives them a starter to replace Dempster, not to mention a starter who has actually proven he can pitch in a hitters paradise and in the AL. It also gives them a very good lefty to add to their pen.

I get that the salaries match up, but you are still paying $16 million for a 36-year old who had a .682 OPS and hasn't played much 3b the last two seasons.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
I get that the salaries match up, but you are still paying $16 million for a 36-year old who had a .682 OPS and hasn't played much 3b the last two seasons.

At the same time, is there a much better 3B out there that the Sox can actually get ahold of?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)

I think that's a great deal actually if we get prospects from Texas to make it worth it. Young as a stopgap is fine with me, but Floyd & Thornton I think are each individually worth more than Young is alone. For Texas in terms of salary it's a wonderful move, so we need to be compensated. They do have the prospects though.