First big move of the offseason prediction contest

The Ultimate Champion

What kind of move do we make & on what date does it happen?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. The type of move made

• We sign a free agent
    • We claim/take on a contract for nothing
    • We acquire via trade a good player for little or nothing in terms of talent - salary dump
    • We acquire via trade a good player for something that probably matters
    • We salary dump a player for literally nothing
    • We dump a salary for a return of some sort
    • We trade a name player for a good/great return
    • We make a 2-team blockbuster with name players on both sides
    • We make a 3-way deal
    • We make a 4-way deal
  2. 2. On this date

• Nov 13-16
    • Nov 17-19
    • Nov 21-23
    • Nov 24-26
    • Nov 27-29
    • Nov 30-Dec 2
    • Dec 3 (Winter Meetings Day 1)
    • Dec 4 (Winter Meetings Day 2)
    • Dec 5 (Winter Meetings Day 3)
    • Dec 6 (Winter Meetings Day 4)
  3. 3. The position of the newly signed player/trade centerpiece

• c
    • 1b
    • 2b
    • 3b
    • ss
    • dh
    • corner OF
    • cf
    • reliever
    • starting pitcher

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Its not a great deal, but is the kind of deal that is out there for 2012. It is a revenue neutral deal, it gives the Sox a 3B, and it gives them a two hole hitter. It also buys them another year at 3B if they can't bring back Youk.

I know I am new here, but this sounds like an exceptional idea. Young for a year or two until he gets "old", and then bring up a hot hitting versatile corner guy from the farm system!

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Wasn't Michael Young one of the worst players in the AL last year with regards to WAR?

Yup, of the 143 MLB players who qualified last year, he was dead last at -1.4.

(Side note: The four players just above him were all in the AL Central: Boesch, Francoeur, Hosmer, Delmon)

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Wasn't Michael Young one of the worst players in the AL last year with regards to WAR?

Probably.

We should have a Soxtalk outfield wall of fame similar to the one at The Cell. Except on our wall are names like Michael Young. Who else, maybe Brian Roberts?

I say Agon doesn't count because that pipe dream only lasted a year or two.

This is year 8 of Michael Young getting 200+ hits per year for he Chicago White Sox.

Here's a challenge:

Someone find a way to fill out the following 3-way deal so that it is at least somewhat realistic if improbable:

Sox trade:

Viciedo

X

Sox receive:

Olt

X

DBacks trade:

Upton

DBacks receive:

Viciedo

X

X

Rangers trade:

Olt

X

Rangers receive:

Upton

I included Viciedo here because outside of Sale he should be the highest trade value piece we have in the organization & supposedly Hahn is listening to offers on him.

Unless the DBacks really like Ramirez, or Sanchez I dont see a good match in a 3 way deal.

Dbacks have Upton, Kubel, Parra, and Eaton who they like so they wouldn't want Dayan. Dbacks are also set on pitching.

If Texas loses out on Upton though I still think Rios for Olt would work and would improve the team....Especially in the long run if Olt pans out.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Holy crap it's a fan message board.

The message board nazi is here to take away any fun!

It's also meant for productive discussion. I see nothing unproductive about what he said. The trade proposals on this board ARE ridiculous.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
It's also meant for productive discussion. I see nothing unproductive about what he said. The trade proposals on this board ARE ridiculous.

you mean like suggesting Reyes, Buerhle, Johnson, Buck + getting traded in the same deal.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
you mean like suggesting Reyes, Buerhle, Johnson, Buck + getting traded in the same deal.

Sorry, that's actual news. It doesn't make it any more intelligent, but that actually happened. But Brent Morel, Leyson Septimo, and Dylan Axelrod for David Wright (or other ridiculous trade ideas) waste space.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:24 AM)
Wonder if Hahn will share the same MO as Kenny and do his trades before the winter meetings.

I do not. I'm not sure Hahn knows all the GMs like Kenny did. I predicted Day 2 of the WM as my guess because he would take Day 1 to get acquainted with everyone and send out feelers. Then again, I could be completely wrong and he knows the entire league already, who knows.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
I do not. I'm not sure Hahn knows all the GMs like Kenny did. I predicted Day 2 of the WM as my guess because he would take Day 1 to get acquainted with everyone and send out feelers. Then again, I could be completely wrong and he knows the entire league already, who knows.

Being an assistant GM for so long, I can't imagine he didn't talk to these guys at various points in the last chunk of years. It's not like he's some unknown baseball person.

They don't know how he's gonna operate as a GM yet, but honestly I don't think he knows yet either.

We will all find out in the next few weeks though. I'm excited either way.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 12:52 AM)
Sorry, that's actual news. It doesn't make it any more intelligent, but that actually happened. But Brent Morel, Leyson Septimo, and Dylan Axelrod for David Wright (or other ridiculous trade ideas) waste space.

My point is ridiculous trades sometimes happen. Granted, the Wright trade is very unlikely, but you never know. To me, it's no more waste of space when people say, for example:

it will cost X player minimun, or the other team will laugh at you, or hang up on you. As if they know the value of every player and what each team/GM is thinking.

I was going to suggest a trade of Rios to Philly for Dominic Brown and one of their young pitchers, maybe Aumont. I'm sure somebody would say no way Philly is going to do that, which may be the case. Still, Philly can take on salary and is in a certain win now situation because their window is definitely closing with all their aging, high priced veterans. They have cooled a bit on Brown and may not have the patience to wait on him to reach his potential. Do I think it will happen, no. But it's not out of the realm of possibility either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:52 AM)

Yea, and you would've said the same thing last year if someone had said, "Lets trade Lillibridge and Stewart for Youkilis".

Sometimes ridiculous trades happen. If someone posts a trade you don't think has a chance to happen, why don't you *gasp* ignore it.

Edited by KG#1

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Yea, and you would've said the same thing last year if someone had said, "Lets trade Lillibridge and Stewart for Youkilis".

Sometimes ridiculous trades happen. If someone posts a trade you don't think has a chance to happen, why don't you *gasp* ignore it.

I would have said the same thing if it were suggested in the offseason. In season, given the situation the Red Sox were in, no, I wasn't surprised at all.

I'm merely minding my own business over here. The idea of Chase Headley, Josh Hamilton, and Justin Upton in the same lineup is cool to think about but it's simply not realistic. I may have gone over the line stating it's a waste of space, but the odds of it happening are about the same as me winning the lottery.

If you guys want to, keep proposing ridiculous trades. But, it's my right as an American and as a poster on this message board to shoot down an idea I think is ridiculous and absurd so long as I do it in a non-degrading manner, and I have done that.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Holy crap it's a fan message board.

The message board nazi is here to take away any fun!

I just don't think discussing completely unrealistic things is fun. I have fun on this board discussing what could happen with the White Sox in the American League, not what could happen in a fictional universe where Floyd+Viciedo is worth something close to Headley and a prospect.

EDIT: Also, it's a bit hypocritical to criticize the fact that I'm criticizing a post. If everyone should be allowed to post anything, then why are you upset that I'm posting something? Are you trying to take away my fun?

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I just don't think discussing completely unrealistic things is fun. I have fun on this board discussing what could happen with the White Sox in the American League, not what could happen in a fictional universe where Floyd+Viciedo is worth something close to Headley and a prospect.

EDIT: Also, it's a bit hypocritical to criticize the fact that I'm criticizing a post. If everyone should be allowed to post anything, then why are you upset that I'm posting something? Are you trying to take away my fun?

And now your getting upset that I got upset?!

And around and around we go!

Judist just ignore it and move on to the next post. Was just having a little fun. Sorry to interrupt your perfect world!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
I would have said the same thing if it were suggested in the offseason. In season, given the situation the Red Sox were in, no, I wasn't surprised at all.

I'm merely minding my own business over here. The idea of Chase Headley, Josh Hamilton, and Justin Upton in the same lineup is cool to think about but it's simply not realistic. I may have gone over the line stating it's a waste of space, but the odds of it happening are about the same as me winning the lottery.

If you guys want to, keep proposing ridiculous trades. But, it's my right as an American and as a poster on this message board to shoot down an idea I think is ridiculous and absurd so long as I do it in a non-degrading manner, and I have done that.

Yes sir, captain sir! :D

Although we can't know exactly what Hahn's first significant move will be, we should be confident that he will look for one or more left handed bats, and some badly needed higher on base production.

If we were to go into next season with the current roster, the OBP could be horrible. The lower half of the Sox could conceivably look like this:

Viciedo

Ramirez

Flowers

Beckham

? Third Baseman ?

They could all have sub .300 On Base Percentages, and they could all be right handed. Moreover, the top of the order isn't exactly dynamite either.

I suspect that Hahn will address this glaring weakness. If he doesn't, I don't see how this team will compete with the Tigers, unless they hold the opposition to about 3 runs per game, and we know that isn't going to happen.

Instead of contemplating spending $20 - $25 million per year, for up to 7 years, on Hamilton, I'd rather see them spend less on perhaps 2 or 3 players. Why not fill the hole at third, find one impact, middle of the order left handed bat, and one right handed top of the rotation starter, who is perhaps nearing free agency and would not have to be signed to a long term deal?

In order to accomplish such goals and make room on the roster, as well as the payroll, I would trade Thornton, Floyd, Beckham and maybe Viciedo, depending upon the return for him. I'd plug Carlos Sanchez into Beckham's place at second base. I'd give sanchez a chance, but not a very long leash. He is awfully young, and it may be too early to expect him to play in the Big Leagues. If he were not ready, a good fielding second baseman would be one of the easiest holes to fill.

Edited by Lillian

After hearing the Royals are poised for a big trade, I'm ready for the Sox to make a move.

First semi-big move...I think Beckham gets traded. The Sox will sign a decent replacement to hold down the fort until they think Sanchez is ready. But I think Sanchez is close enough that they'll move Beckham sooner or later.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
After hearing the Royals are poised for a big trade, I'm ready for the Sox to make a move.

First semi-big move...I think Beckham gets traded. The Sox will sign a decent replacement to hold down the fort until they think Sanchez is ready. But I think Sanchez is close enough that they'll move Beckham sooner or later.

What big trade?