Marlins trade Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Reyes plus others to Blue Jays

Baron

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 07:29 AM)
Yeah I can't see how the Marlins can survive in Miami after this. They're going to to be elsewhere in the near future. That organization is a joke. That being said, I'd love if Hahn got on the phone with them and inquired about Ricky Nolasco and Logan Morrison

Also, if Toronto was willing to swallow some of MB's salary, I'd take him back here in an instant.

they aint going anywhere with a brand new stadium.

I suspect Loria's prepping a sale.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
I'm gunna throw out a crazy trade idea, and it'll prolly not happen.

Floyd for Buehrle.

Of course it won't happen because why would the Sox want 3 lefties in the rotation.

The Sox are loaded with lefties. Buehrle is about the last player in MLB you would want to add to the White Sox. He has a back loaded contract, and out of the Sox top 6 starting pitchers, 4 are already left-handed. With the payroll limitations, a lefty starter with a big contract is about the worst thing they could acquire, even if it is Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
I'm gunna throw out a crazy trade idea, and it'll prolly not happen.

Floyd for Buehrle.

Of course it won't happen because why would the Sox want 3 lefties in the rotation.

Buehrle and Floyd do the same thing...take the ball, provide innings, and at the end of the season, your team will go about .500 when they start.

Floyd, being righty at 9.5 mil, is a much better value than Buehrle, who has 3 years/48 mil left on his contract.

The more I let this trade sink in, the more I think the Marlins undid their stupidity from last offseason, and the Blue Jays are taking a huge risk with these guys.

It's very possible this trade will end up being lose/lose.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm sure he can wipe his tears with piles of cash. Maybe Toronto is more lenient on pit bulls.

Buehrle will live, let's all cut the s***.

Exactly. And let's not act like Buehrle was blindsided and never would have expected this. The Marlins have done this numerous times in the past, they don't offer no-trade clauses, and they backloaded his contract for this exact reason.

I would not use Buehrle being left-handed as a reason not to get him. In 2012, the Tigers had a -47 point OPS split differential vs LHP, Cleveland was -62, KC was -16, and Minnesota was +10. You can't have too many lefties in the Sox rotation with those kinds of splits.

I do agree for contract reasons that Buehrle isn't enough of an upgrade over Floyd to make the trade straight up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm sure he can wipe his tears with piles of cash. Maybe Toronto is more lenient on pit bulls.

Buehrle will live, let's all cut the s***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
Seriously, people, let Buehrle be Buehrle elsewhere. He might be back after this deal is up, but that contract is bad and you shouldn't want him.

If you read the rest of my post, I said I thought he made a bad decision signing in Miami. No doubt he will live fine with the money (too much) he will earn. I know that Miami offered him the most money, and I'm not sure Ozzie being the manager played a part in his decision, but one might imagine he's playing the what-if game in his head. I think he, their other big signees, and the fans were duped. I wouldn't want Buehrle on this team for that contract. However, one might think that Mark might've been happier staying in Chicago for less money. Too bad for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
The Sox are loaded with lefties. Buehrle is about the last player in MLB you would want to add to the White Sox. He has a back loaded contract, and out of the Sox top 6 starting pitchers, 4 are already left-handed. With the payroll limitations, a lefty starter with a big contract is about the worst thing they could acquire, even if it is Mark Buehrle.

i know. i ALREADY said that the sox would be too lefy heavy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
Exactly. And let's not act like Buehrle was blindsided and never would have expected this. The Marlins have done this numerous times in the past, they don't offer no-trade clauses, and they backloaded his contract for this exact reason.

Many people called it last year when the Marlins were refusing all no trade clause requests.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
If you read the rest of my post, I said I thought he made a bad decision signing in Miami. No doubt he will live fine with the money (too much) he will earn. I know that Miami offered him the most money, and I'm not sure Ozzie being the manager played a part in his decision, but one might imagine he's playing the what-if game in his head. I think he, their other big signees, and the fans were duped. I wouldn't want Buehrle on this team for that contract. However, one might think that Mark might've been happier staying in Chicago for less money. Too bad for him.

The Sox didn't even offer him a contract last year.

Logan Morrison ‏@LoMoMarlins

Here is a tweet dedicated to my moronic followers! Why get mad about something you can't control? Going to work and play as hard as ever

hey @JonHeymanCBS I just read that we got mathematically eliminated from the 2013 playoffs. Is that true?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)

Here is a tweet dedicated to my moronic followers! Why get mad about something you can't control? Going to work and play as hard as ever

hey @JonHeymanCBS I just read that we got mathematically eliminated from the 2013 playoffs. Is that true?

Tweeters are really letting him have it after that tweet, its comedy gold

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
The Sox didn't even offer him a contract last year.

True, but there were reports that the Sox (I don't know if it was JR or KW) told Mark to take Miami deal because they wouldn't come close to offering that. And, yes, before anyone screams, I realize what I typed there. The Sox told him to take the deal, so obviously everyone was fooled.

However, how many on here called a Miami meltdown? I seem to remember many of us predicting a less than stellar year for them. There were others (looks to the west-southwest) that predicted a Miami World Series...but not many.