How is Marlins trade different from what the cubs are doing?

59th street

It could be argued that the Marlins are willing to follow the blueprint of the world's smartest baseball executive (need you ask who?).

The loveable losers are praised for having the courage to "do it the right way" and build from within with young player; yet when the Marlins decide to off load under performing and overpaid veterens and re-stock with high end prospects it is condemed by the same "experts" who fall to their knees in awe of the great Theo.

Yes I am pointing at both P. Rogers and the dumbest sports guy in Chicago, David Kaplan. Total hypocrites!

If you can defend what the least sucessful franchise in baseball is doing how can you possibly complain when a team that has won 2 World Series championships does something very similiar?

I am 100% serious about this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that I am going to defend the Cubs, but at least they have shown that they are trying to win in the long run. The Cubs have never been content to go with a low payroll and profit. They also didn't lie to their fans and the taxpayers who they conned into paying for a new stadium about their intended purposes. A rebuild isn't what is going on in Miami.

Free stadium payed for by the tax payers (where the Marlis esentially keep ALL concession and parking revenu)

Reboot the franchise with a new name (Miami Marlins), logo, and colors

Spend MASSIVE money to try and fill the stadium

Pander to the Latino croud

Hire a hot manager

Sell it all off after one year.

This isnt about rebuilding. This isnt the "right way" as you call it. This is a 100% greed move by Loria to fleece the Marlins fans of their cash and laugh all the way to the bank..

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
Free stadium payed for by the tax payers (where the Marlis esentially keep ALL concession and parking revenu)

Reboot the franchise with a new name (Miami Marlins), logo, and colors

Spend MASSIVE money to try and fill the stadium

Pander to the Latino croud

Hire a hot manager

Sell it all off after one year.

This isnt about rebuilding. This isnt the "right way" as you call it. This is a 100% greed move by Loria to fleece the Marlins fans of their cash and laugh all the way to the bank..

I do not want to defend the Marlin ownership (Loria, et al) but he WAS smart enough to refuse to give anyone a No Trade clause. Remember that was reported as the reason Albert P. decided not to go there. You could see this coming in the event they failed to win in 2012. You could even argue that he was setting the team up to be sold if they did win in 2012. He is a business man not a baseball fan and he is a friend of Bud Selig so do not expect any BS about he "best interest of baseball".

Also all new stadium projects have some form of public financing involved. If you don't think the ricketts family has tried to get every possible $ out of the City and State (taxpayers) then you are not being honest.

My point is from a baseball stand point the Marlins got a haul of highly rated player prospects from a highly regarded Toronto farm system in exchange for a bunch of overpaid veterans who underperformed. Marlin fans (if there are truly any) did not like this 69 win team and ownership decided to make big changes.

They were smart enough to withhold NO Trade rights allowing them the ability to blow it up if it failed (and boy did it fail). It is the height of hypocrisy for the media to rip the baseball decision that they made, unless you think they should have waited longer (perhaps 104 years).

QUOTE (59th street @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
I do not want to defend the Marlin ownership (Loria, et al) but he WAS smart enough to refuse to give anyone a No Trade clause. Remember that was reported as the reason Albert P. decided not to go there. You could see this coming in the event they failed to win in 2012. You could even argue that he was setting the team up to be sold if they did win in 2012. He is a business man not a baseball fan and he is a friend of Bud Selig so do not expect any BS about he "best interest of baseball".

Also all new stadium projects have some form of public financing involved. If you don't think the ricketts family has tried to get every possible $ out of the City and State (taxpayers) then you are not being honest.

My point is from a baseball stand point the Marlins got a haul of highly rated player prospects from a highly regarded Toronto farm system in exchange for a bunch of overpaid veterans who underperformed. Marlin fans (if there are truly any) did not like this 69 win team and ownership decided to make big changes.

They were smart enough to withhold NO Trade rights allowing them the ability to blow it up if it failed (and boy did it fail). It is the height of hypocrisy for the media to rip the baseball decision that they made, unless you think they should have waited longer (perhaps 104 years).

Miami flat out lied to their fans repeatedly. The Cubs have done no such thing.

QUOTE (59th street @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)

Technically, AT&T Park in San Fran was privately financed. There were some tax breaks and such, but the $350+ million in construction costs was completely financed by the Giants.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
Miami flat out lied to their fans repeatedly. The Cubs have done no such thing.

Miami went for it all BIG TIME last year and it failed so they refuse to continue with the same plan.

Everybody predicted that half or more of their big named free agent signings would never be around to the end of their back loaded contracts. They would either win now and sell the team or blpow it up if it failed. this is exactly what is happening.

News flash: Sports teams cannot predict the future so do not believe the hype.

I won't even comment on the "honesty" of the northside ownership over the years, but we disagree.

QUOTE (59th street @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
Miami went for it all BIG TIME last year and it failed so they refuse to continue with the same plan.

Everybody predicted that half or more of their big named free agent signings would never be around to the end of their back loaded contracts. They would either win now and sell the team or blpow it up if it failed. this is exactly what is happening.

I won't even comment on the "honesty" of the northside ownership over the years, but we disagree.

Do you like it more when the Cubs lose or when the White Sox win? Why is this about the Cubs? It shouldn't be.

What does Cubs ownership over the years have to do with their current owner? Ricketts have only been there for a few years.

"I would not use the term 'white flag.' I would not use 'fire sale.' These moves were not payroll motivated."MIA GM Larry Beinfest,July '12.

That was AFTER the hype, not before.

The Cubs haven't said anything about competing for years now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
I really hope this is a lesson for other cities not to publicly fund these stadiums

There have been multiple studies done that these stadiums never produce anything of value for the community itself and that they are a giganitic waste of taxpayer money.

Not to defend the Cubs, either, but what they are doing is nothing like what Miami has done. Most Cub fans (those that actually watch the games and don't just go to Wrigley because it's cool) realize that they are rebuilding. Miami is not rebuilding. They are becoming irrelevant.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
I really hope this is a lesson for other cities not to publicly fund these stadiums

To keep a 90+ loss veteran team together? The problem from a baseball perspective isn't this trade, it was the idea that they could compete by signing the free agents they did last offseason. You don't make the decision to build a stadium based on short-term performance.

The Cubs trade guys they aren't going to re-sign and are at the end of their contracts. There is nothing like Jose Reyes on their roster. It was obvious this was a one and done thing from the get go. They paid Reyes and Buerhle $16 million combined and then dumped them. The problem is not necessarily a rebuild, its the promise, you build us a stadium, we won't have to rip the team down to nothing again. It was all a lie.

They will have a hard time attracting free agents in the future even if they are the highest bidder. MLB should advise Loria to sell.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Whats to say Miami doesn't plan on spending more massive amounts of money this offseason??

I'd hate for Hamilton to go there but whats to say he doesn't?

I could see ARod going home and playing there too.

You're a FA and you can go there and get dealt in a year. No big name will want to go there, and ARod isn't going to want to go there to lose. The waved the white flag because their profits will be reduced. That team is a joke.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Um, because their owner is Jeffrey Loria.

I don't know what this means, he spent a boatload last year...they didn't work out and Lorias obviously impatient.

Im not saying that they WILL but I dont see why not.

I'd love to be the Marlins GM right now.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787