Melky Cabrera now off the board, signs with Toronto

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
2 years, 16 million. Looks like the Jays are all in.

Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1411782...-jays?hpt=hp_t3

Well pretty much guaranteed to miss the playoffs now...

Jokes aside I do think they will fail. This loading up on people just doesn't amount to championships in the modern age. Hell the Jays did something similar in 2007.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
With all of these additions, Toronto is going to have a few players that need to be moved.

Is there anyone, now expendable, who appeals to you guys?

What about their young stolen base phenom, Gose?

Jays OF:

Bautista

Davis

Cabrera

Encarnacion

Lind

Rasmus

Gose

It would be awesome to get Edwin Encarnacion from them to play 3B for us, despite him being a poor defensive 3B. They may see it as a "sell high" move, considering his monster 2012 season offensively, but I wouldn't count on it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
Jays OF:

Bautista

Davis

Cabrera

Encarnacion

Lind

Rasmus

Gose

It would be awesome to get Edwin Encarnacion from them to play 3B for us, despite him being a poor defensive 3B. They may see it as a "sell high" move, considering his monster 2012 season offensively, but I wouldn't count on it.

How is that a sell high when they just gave him new paper, 5 years 35 million. I dont know that i would trust him to produce like he did last season and also put him at a position that he is very poor defensively for that money. Last year was an anomaly

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
How is that a sell high when they just gave him new paper, 5 years 35 million. I dont know that i would trust him to produce like he did last season and also put him at a position that he is very poor defensively for that money. Last year was an anomaly

Last year he was also worth 4.4 WAR, or about $20M. They aren't paying him to repeat 2012, they are paying him for about a 1.5 WAR, which he has done 5 times in his career prior to 2012 (only year he didn't was 2009 when he missed half the season).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
Last year he was also worth 4.4 WAR, or about $20M. They aren't paying him to repeat 2012, they are paying him for about a 1.5 WAR, which he has done 5 times in his career prior to 2012 (only year he didn't was 2009 when he missed half the season).

Gmafb with your "he was worth 20 million last year" equation for WAR. Last year far exceeded any season he ever played in the majors and he didn't even play the position you want him to play because he was so bad and Lawrie isn't.

EE isn't worth that paper. Bottom line. And I would be pissed if the Sox were the one buying high because of last year

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Gmafb with your "he was worth 20 million last year" equation for WAR. Last year far exceeded any season he ever played in the majors and he didn't even play the position you want him to play because he was so bad and Lawrie isn't.

EE isn't worth that paper. Bottom line. And I would be pissed if the Sox were the one buying high because of last year

This was said about Bautista too. It's not an entirely impossible FB/HR to repeat or maintain, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 30+ homers again next year. I don't think it's that bad of a contract.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)

With "my equation"? Lol. I appreciate the credit, but that's not anything I put together.

And he was still producing a 1.5+ WAR when he was playing 3B, btw.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
This was said about Bautista too. It's not an entirely impossible FB/HR to repeat or maintain, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 30+ homers again next year. I don't think it's that bad of a contract.

I think Bautista is more of an exception than a rule. And I am still not entirely convinced that man isnt juicing either, nobody has ever put up numbers like he has after being an incredibly mediocre players for 5 years of his career.

Again, the guy is a 3rd base hack. But sure, he is worth 20 million last year.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
With "my equation"? Lol. I appreciate the credit, but that's not anything I put together.

And he was still producing a 1.5+ WAR when he was playing 3B, btw.

I know it isnt anything you put together, but you have been throwing it around as if it somehow is a good explanation for bad contracts.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
I know it isnt anything you put together, but you have been throwing it around as if it somehow is a good explanation for bad contracts.

A player who has never produced less than a 1.5 WAR in a full season, and is coming off a 4.4 WAR season is going to make $7M a year, and that's a "bad contract".

Well.....alrighty then.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
A player who has never produced less than a 1.5 WAR in a full season, and is coming off a 4.4 WAR season is going to make $7M a year, and that's a "bad contract".

Well.....alrighty then.

8, 9, 10 the next three years. Year one was the cheapie, year 5 is 10 million with 2 million dollar buyout.

And the guy has never actually played a full season either. the most he has played is 151, but he seems to average in the 130s. Not very reliable in the health or defense dept.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
8, 9, 10 the next three years. Year one was the cheapie, year 5 is 10 million with 2 million dollar buyout.

And the guy has never actually played a full season either. the most he has played is 151, but he seems to average in the 130s. Not very reliable in the health or defense dept.

Ok.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)

Not a bad contract at all. Quite the oppposite.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
Alex Anthopoulos is looking less and less smooth (J4L). That's way too much payroll for their fair-weather fan base to support.

They can certainly support it, no question about that. The moves made by AA is somewhat contributed by the fans pressuring the ownership to spend.