Mark Buehrle's dog not allowed to move with him

BigSqwert

Similar law in Miami-Dade county when he played for the Marlins...

Miami Marlins fans aren't the only ones getting a raw deal after Jeffrey Loria kicked his fire sale into high gear on Tuesday.

Also getting jobbed? Slater, Mark Buehrle's increasingly (and unfairly) maligned American Staffordshire terrier. You might remember that the pitcher's dog fell under Miami-Dade County's pit bull ban, forcing the Buehrle family to live in Broward County after Buehrle signed a four-year, $58 million contract with the Marlins last offseason.

Buehrle did not get a no-trade clause as part of the deal and now his family — which includes a total of four dogs — are heading north to Canada as part of Tuesday's massive trade with the Toronto Blue Jays. That would seem to be good news since the Jays will be competitors, but it also creates another massive hurdle since there's an even bigger pit bull ban in place where they're relocating. The entire province of Ontario has banned pit bulls since 2005, so Slater is going to be in a bit of a bind unless his dad wants to do the long commute from Quebec each day.

No matter what happens, though, Buehrle is almost guaranteed to make his feelings known while lending a helping hand. He and his wife Jamie led a petition to end the ban in Miami-Dade County, started the popular "Sox for Strays" charity when he pitched for the Chicago White Sox, paid the bills for an injured dog at a shelter and was outspoken in his criticism of NFL star Michael Vick. He is a dog's best friend, no matter where he happens to work.

LINK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to live in a place where pitbulls are banned. They are a violent dog breed that I don't want to be anywhere around. I understand the frustration of owners of pitbulls who can't take them with them, that sucks for them, but I understand why certain places have this ban.

One thing about the law that seems unfair is the apparently broad classification of what is actually considered a "pitbull". I've heard a lot of breeds get unfairly lumped in to that category of dog.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
I'd like to live in a place where pitbulls are banned. They are a violent dog breed that I don't want to be anywhere around. I understand the frustration of owners of pitbulls who can't take them with them, that sucks for them, but I understand why certain places have this ban.

One thing about the law that seems unfair is the apparently broad classification of what is actually considered a "pitbull". I've heard a lot of breeds get unfairly lumped in to that category of dog.

Pretty narrow view. Any dog can be trained to be violent. It's the idiot human, not the dog who's the one that causes a pitbull to be dangerous.

At this point the dog should just stay at their Missouri home. They aren't going to overturn these laws.

Unfortunately these dogs are bred to fight and they bring with them a stigma of being violent dogs. It isn't going to change, these laws are usually put in place after extended fights between authorities and underground put bull fighting rings

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
At this point the dog should just stay at their Missouri home. They aren't going to overturn these laws.

Unfortunately these dogs are bred to fight and they bring with them a stigma of being violent dogs. It isn't going to change, these laws are usually put in place after extended fights between authorities and underground put bull fighting rings

Oh nonsense. These laws extend to all sorts of breeds that are not violent and are not bred to fight. Most of the places with these laws in place think they are being progressive, when in fact, they're being exactly the opposite.

Just because this is the easiest way to try and solve a problematic issue does not mean it is the correct one.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Pretty narrow view. Any dog can be trained to be violent. It's the idiot human, not the dog who's the one that causes a pitbull to be dangerous.

Yeah, but knowing that a pitbull has the capability to snap and kill someone makes me never want to be around them. I've never had the fear of a golden retriever or a lab snapping and trying to kill me. I've heard stories of having to break pitbulls jaws with a crowbar, but never a golden retriever.

And for the record, I don't like to be around German shepards or dobermans or mastiffs either, it's not just pitbulls.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
Yeah, but knowing that a pitbull has the capability to snap and kill someone makes me never want to be around them. I've never had the fear of a golden retriever or a lab snapping and trying to kill me. I've heard stories of having to break pitbulls jaws with a crowbar, but never a golden retriever.

And for the record, I don't like to be around German shepards or dobermans or mastiffs either, it's not just pitbulls.

This is a valid point...I am honestly nervous when pitbulls are around my dogs at the dog park...but that isn't reason enough to ban them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Oh nonsense. These laws extend to all sorts of breeds that are not violent and are not bred to fight. Most of the places with these laws in place think they are being progressive, when in fact, they're being exactly the opposite.

Just because this is the easiest way to try and solve a problematic issue does not mean it is the correct one.

Like what breeds? Rotts and Pincers, both commonly trained as guard/attack dogs? I agree, its the people who put the fight in the dog, im not saying the dog is the issue.

Look, not all pits are bred to fight. I know this. But there are many that are, and they do fight unfortunately. I think most of Marks own pitbulls are rescued and rehabbed fighters including his Staffordshire.

It may not be a correct way to deal with it, but these towns/cities/counties decided its better to say stay out than to put forth the resources to combat the underground fighting industry.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
This is a valid point...I am honestly nervous when pitbulls are around my dogs at the dog park...but that isn't reason enough to ban them.

my ex girlfriends dad trained and bred Pincers for police. Her house dog almost took my face off once and i was just standing there minding my own business. Scared the absolute hell out of me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Like what breeds? Rotts and Pincers, both commonly trained as guard/attack dogs? I agree, its the people who put the fight in the dog, im not saying the dog is the issue.

Look, not all pits are bred to fight. I know this. But there are many that are, and they do fight unfortunately. I think most of Marks own pitbulls are rescued and rehabbed fighters including his Staffordshire.

It may not be a correct way to deal with it, but these towns/cities/counties decided its better to say stay out than to put forth the resources to combat the underground fighting industry.

my ex girlfriends dad trained and bred Pincers for police. Her house dog almost took my face off once and i was just standing there minding my own business. Scared the absolute hell out of me.

Yes, the usual suspects...Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Great Danes, Mastiffs, some Bulldogs, etc...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)

I hear ya. I get nervous around any dog that I can't say with 100% certainty that I can take in a fight.

There is a park near me where owners of "breeds commonly thought of as 'fighting dogs'" tend to congregate at certain times. At that moment, I am in full agreement of bans on certain breeds of dogs. I quickly get in my truck and leave. Seeing a dozen or more of those breeds, most with massively heavy chains around their necks, their gangster owners strutting around, is just is too threatening.

I used to dogsit this pitbull that was the sweetest dog ive ever known, but even so, when it would play with my dog it would seem to forget its own strength. I get why people are afraid of pitbulls, when the owner hands me her pitbull to watch over and tells me to keep the choke collar on at all times when i walk the dog because it will tear my arm off without it, were dealing with some serious strength and possible aggression if it doesnt play nice with other humans

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
This seems pretty ridiculous to me. I didnt know that many people were scared of dogs.

That's like saying people who say they are afraid to travel to Afghanistan or Iraq are scared of people.

It's not dogs in general, it's certain breeds of dogs that are more violent than others.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:23 AM)
That's like saying people who say they are afraid to travel to Afghanistan or Iraq are scared of people.

It's not dogs in general, it's certain breeds of dogs that are more violent than others.

guns dogs don't kill people, people kill people.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)

I wouldnt compare traveling into a war zone with people being allowed to keep a certain breed of dog in their own home.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:54 AM)
I wouldnt compare traveling into a war zone with people being allowed to keep a certain breed of dog in their own home.

Not with people being allowed to keep a certain breed of dog, I am saying just because people are scared of going to certain areas of the world, some people are just scared of certain breeds of dogs. Just because I feel scared around a pitbull doesn't mean I feel scared around dogs in general, just the ones I associate with violence. I consider myself a big dog lover, but that doesn't mean I love every breed of dog.

My problem isnt as much people being scared of certain breeds I guess, its with the idea of local governments restricting certain breeds being able to be owned. If you choose to own any dog you are ultimately responsible for its actions. If someone is willing to take on the added responsibility of owning a dog that has a stigma attached to it like a pit bull then I think they should be allowed to. Its not like youre letting it roam the streets unattended, when theyre outside they are on a leash and the owner should control its interactions with people. Maybe worst case scenario require a permit to make sure people who own those types of dogs are capable of handling them.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:55 AM)

This is a great thread. That dog went for your face?? Scary.

My parents, who are docile people, had a german shepherd that hopped over the fence to chase down a jogger and the shepherd bit the guy in the leg. fortunately for my parents the jogger was a great guy and only made my parents pay for his trip to emergency to check himself out. Why did the Shepherd do that except for the fact it is a mean breed? My parents got rid of the dog and it may even have been put down for its transgression. I forget. My aunt, who gave my parents the dog and is a huge dog and horse lover, was PISSED and wouldn't talk to my mom, her sister, for a long time.

Edited by greg775

This is always a touchy issue. I agree that it comes to how the dogs are trained, but pitbulls along with a few other breeds have the capacity to be very dangerous. Many other breeds do not. And there have been cases where a historically calm dog has snapped and attacked. I steer clear of those types of dogs, and I wouldn't want my kids near any of them.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)

And this why there are these stupid laws. Beacuse people who are ignorant to reality believe the public lies about the breeds in question.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 07:30 AM)
And this why there are these stupid laws. Beacuse people who are ignorant to reality believe the public lies about the breeds in question.

Why is it when dog fighting is caught, they majority of the dogs are pit bulls? I understand that pit bulls can be really great pets, but reality is when people are into fighting they ain't buying poodles and peek-a-poos.

Is it a lie that the most popular breeds for fighting are pit bulls?