Mark Buehrle's dog not allowed to move with him

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Why is it when dog fighting is caught, they majority of the dogs are pit bulls? I understand that pit bulls can be really great pets, but reality is when people are into fighting they ain't buying poodles and peek-a-poos.

Why is it when I attend a UFC fight or boxing match, the majority of the fighters are really big & in shape guys who could kick my ass?

Is it a lie that the most popular breeds for fighting are pit bulls?

It's a lie that they are inherently dangerous

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)
My problem isnt as much people being scared of certain breeds I guess, its with the idea of local governments restricting certain breeds being able to be owned. If you choose to own any dog you are ultimately responsible for its actions. If someone is willing to take on the added responsibility of owning a dog that has a stigma attached to it like a pit bull then I think they should be allowed to. Its not like youre letting it roam the streets unattended, when theyre outside they are on a leash and the owner should control its interactions with people. Maybe worst case scenario require a permit to make sure people who own those types of dogs are capable of handling them.

This is really the problem with any kind of dog. People get them and then have no idea how to handle them or train them properly. Especially with a big, strong dog like a pit bull.

I know a guy that had a rottweiler and she was very, very well trained. He told me that she was basically 100 lbs of muscle and if you don't have absolute control at all times, bad things will happen.

Too many people don't know how to control their dog. When it's a little poodle or something, it's cute when it barks and jumps at you. When it's a bigger dog, that's when people get hurt.

I don't buy for one second that it's some major coincidence that pitbulls are the ones people fight with, or that you hear about having to have their jaws broken to release something, or that you hear are extremely violent.

All breeds are not one the same level of temperament and likelihood for violence. Yeah, I agree you CAN raise a perfectly friendly pitbull and you CAN raise an evil golden retriever, but genetically these dogs are not the same and it's no coincidence which one tends to be the violent one of the two.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
I don't buy for one second that it's some major coincidence that pitbulls are the ones people fight with, or that you hear about having to have their jaws broken to release something, or that you hear are extremely violent.

All breeds are not one the same level of temperament and likelihood for violence. Yeah, I agree you CAN raise a perfectly friendly pitbull and you CAN raise an evil golden retriever, but genetically these dogs are not the same and it's no coincidence which one tends to be the violent one of the two.

So I'm curious, what's your opinion on people owning big cats, chimpanzees, venomous snakes, wolf/dog mixes, bears etc...?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
So I'm curious, what's your opinion on people owning big cats, chimpanzees, venomous snakes, wolf/dog mixes, bears etc...?

I think I wouldn't want to live anywhere near those people. And I would feel just as uncomfortable (probably more) walking past people with those animals with them as I would someone with a pitbull or other breed I talked about.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)

many states have made this a highly regulated issue. Especially after that chaos in Ohio a year back when that guy committed suicide and let all of his exotic animals loose. (umm, not in that order)

Im not sure what the comparison is here, anyone can own a pitbull, really. Not anyone can get one of the above listed animals, and all of the above listed animals are extremely dangerous under any circumstances, which you are saying a pitbull is not.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
I like the licensing idea...I could live with that solution...in munies or counties with these bans, you should be able to own the breed if you prove that the individual dog is well-trained and isn't prone to unreasonable aggression.

thats a license that would be ignored by many, we both know that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
many states have made this a highly regulated issue. Especially after that chaos in Ohio a year back when that guy committed suicide and let all of his exotic animals loose.

Im not sure what the comparison is here, anyone can own a pitbull, really. Not anyone can get one of the above listed animals, and all of the above listed animals are extremely dangerous under any circumstances, which you are saying a pitbull is not.

The point is anyone can own a wolf/coyote/fox-dog hybrid and the other animals can be owned with permit (snakes might not even need one). I don't think dogs are inherently viciious and believe the responsibility falls completely on the owner. So, I am against the ban, but if one was in place a licensing program should be allowed to people as it does for other "pets".

At the end of the day, dogs are wild animals, we NEVER have control over them. The idiots who walk their dogs down the streets with no leashes are smug morons who are one incident away from losing their dogs. Any animal over 50lbs or so has the ability to kill you, and Rotty's (my last dog), pitts, mastiffs etc are stronger than ALOT of humans which makes them dangerous. However, I do not think you can generalize a law to ban a certain breed of dog especially because the variance in mixes, sub-breeds etc. It should be on a case by case basis if you want to have your dangerous breed approved.

My dog we just put to sleep was a Rotty/Shepard. He LOVED his family and was extremely protective of us. Was he dangerous to others? For sure, yes. However with my elderly parents it was a huge insurance policy for when they were alone and he was docile and caring for them. Unfortunately in this world not every owner is responsible which is why licensing for animals needs to be more highly regulated IMO. This is why I love dog adoption agencies that actually take the time to meet you.

That lady who just died in bolingbrook from her mastiff was a GREAT owner who socialized troubled animals and she was killed by her mastiff for who knows what reason. That could easily happen with any other breed because its a f***ing dog, who knows what they can do ay any time. My rotty got an alzheimer's-type disease at the end of his life and we put him down because he literally became a full on attack dog out of nowhere.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
At the end of the day, dogs are wild animals, we NEVER have control over them. The idiots who walk their dogs down the streets with no leashes are smug morons who are one incident away from losing their dogs. Any animal over 50lbs or so has the ability to kill you, and Rotty's (my last dog), pitts, mastiffs etc are stronger than ALOT of humans which makes them dangerous. However, I do not think you can generalize a law to ban a certain breed of dog especially because the variance in mixes, sub-breeds etc. It should be on a case by case basis if you want to have your dangerous breed approved.

My dog we just put to sleep was a Rotty/Shepard. He LOVED his family and was extremely protective of us. Was he dangerous to others? For sure, yes. However with my elderly parents it was a huge insurance policy for when they were alone and he was docile and caring for them. Unfortunately in this world not every owner is responsible which is why licensing for animals needs to be more highly regulated IMO. This is why I love dog adoption agencies that actually take the time to meet you.

That lady who just died in bolingbrook from her mastiff was a GREAT owner who socialized troubled animals and she was killed by her mastiff for who knows what reason. That could easily happen with any other breed because its a f***ing dog, who knows what they can do ay any time. My rotty got an alzheimer's-type disease at the end of his life and we put him down because he literally became a full on attack dog out of nowhere.

To further that point, our first dog was a shetland sheepdog. It is a herding, watch dog, great with kids and gentle. Very non-aggressive. Towards the end of his life, he began attacking people's feet for reasons unknown to us. He also had another medical condition that caused us to put him down. But like you said, it's a dog and can happen. Shelties are not known for aggression but near the end of his life, he became one.

I have two American Pit Bull Terriers, the only dog that is a "true pit bull". I know their history and if people would just educate themselves, they'd realize that these anti-pit bull ordinances are a bunch of crap.

First of all, these ordinances include other types of dogs that are in no way related to APBTs like Presa Canarios, American Bullies, Argentine Dogos, English Terriers, American Bulldogs etc. I mean, even Boxers are included in some anti pit bull lists. So, basically, if you have a short haired breed of dog that "looks" menacing, you can have your dog confiscated by authorities even if that dog never harmed anyone. That's crap.

Second, most people and authorities wouldn't know a pit bull from a list of similar looking dogs, so there have been many many cases of a dog attacking someone and the headlines will scream "pit bull attaxk!" when in fact the dog was anything but. Pit Bulls are today's boogeydog, if you will, and the press loves selling newspapers and the evening local news love the ratings.

Third, and I quote...

According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, American

pit bulls -- or their purebred cousins, American Staffordshire terriers-- pass a

strict temperament test 95 percent of the time. The association lists the pit

bull as the fourth-best canine out of 122 breeds tested in the study, in

terms of temperament.

another quote...

Pit Bulls are generally friendly, even around strangers. As with any dog breed, proper training and socialization at an early age is a must. According to the UKC,"This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work."

As you can see, Pit Bulls have a bad reputation due in large part to ignorance and hysteria, have pit bulls attacked people before? Yes, but so have other breeds as well and like I said before, way too many attacks are credited to pit bulls when it wasn't a pit bull. Pit Bulls can have a dog aggression issue but never human aggression, those dogs should get culled, they don't conform to the APBT standard and are useless.

American Pit Bull terriers were once so common among average American families, (now they are known as the thug's dog of choice), the dog in the Little Rascals was a pit bull, the dog in the RCA logo looking down a phonograph is a pit bull, and Sgt. Stubby, America's most decorated World War I dog was a Pit Bull.

220px-American_Pit_Bull_Terrier_-_Seated

American Pit Bull Terrier

1270764740_86783169_1-Fotos-de--American

American Bully...it's not a pit bull but people who don't know better swear it is.

Please, educate yourselves about Pit Bulls, they are far from the vicious dog's potrayed by the media and swallowed hook line and sinker from an ignorant mass.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
At the end of the day, dogs are wild animals, we NEVER have control over them.

Hell yes. My little rat terrier dog is one of the nicest dogs in the world with everyone that meets him humans and dogs alike, hes well trained and goes to day care almost every day, and last week a family member of mine brought her 3 year old daughter to my apartment and that little rat terrier of mine lost it and was trying to attack her for no reason. Thankfully he is a 10 pound animal that I can control with one hand. Trying to control a dog that is a giant muscle with legs and has massively powerful jaws is a different story. Im not against pit bulls by the way like i said earlier, i dog sit a friends Pit all the time and she has never done anything wrong on my watch, but im not ignorant enough to think that just because the dog is trained that animal instinct cant take over at any given moment.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
Hell yes. My little rat terrier dog is one of the nicest dogs in the world with everyone that meets him humans and dogs alike, hes well trained and goes to day care almost every day, and last week a family member of mine brought her 3 year old daughter to my apartment and that little rat terrier of mine lost it and was trying to attack her for no reason. Thankfully he is a 10 pound animal that I can control with one hand. Trying to control a dog that is a giant muscle with legs and has massively powerful jaws is a different story. Im not against pit bulls by the way like i said earlier, i dog sit a friends Pit all the time and she has never done anything wrong on my watch, but im not ignorant enough to think that just because the dog is trained that animal instinct cant take over at any given moment.

Exactly, the people who think they have full control are the ones who watch their dog turn. It's a wild animal they can do whatever they want. My boxer/chow/lab is docile and calm and never would do anything to hurt anyone, but I've seen her tear apart another dog in a fight when she had never shown aggression ever before.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
Exactly, the people who think they have full control are the ones who watch their dog turn. It's a wild animal they can do whatever they want. My boxer/chow/lab is docile and calm and never would do anything to hurt anyone, but I've seen her tear apart another dog in a fight when she had never shown aggression ever before.

I can make my two Danes practically urinate on themselves in about 3 seconds, but at the same time, I've seen my oldest go after the weak link in the park before when the pack mentality takes over, as if almost in a trance.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)

Ha-ha, you have a girly dog.

I've been an American Pit Bull Terrier owner for years. As MexSoxFan said, most people don't even know what a Pit Bull really is. They aren't a large breed. They usually range between 20-60 lbs. Most people confuse the dogs with American Bullies and they all get lumped under the "pit bull" umbrella.

People need to understand there is a difference between dog aggression and human aggression. American Pit Bull Terriers are pre-disposed to dog aggression. That doesn't mean every ABPT wants to kill other dogs, but they were specifically bred for 200 years for dog on dog combat. As a responsible pit bull owner, I understand this trait and don't set my dogs up to fail by allowing them to "play" with other dogs. Pit bulls don't need to doggie friends. They crave human interaction. Collies want to herd. Labs want to swim. Dobies want to guard. Pit bulls want to fight. The number one problem for pit bull advocates is the "fur mommies" who believe "it's all how you raise them." This sets the dog up for failure. Somebody gets a pit bull. It's the sweetest dog ever, because it loves humans. They allow it to play with their other dog. They leave the house and come home to a mess. Or, they take it to the dog park and they have a mess. Again, not every pit bull is dog aggressive. However, one should treat their dog as if it is, because 200 years of selective breeding is a powerful thing.

Human aggression is not/has never/will never be a desirable trait in American Pit Bull Terriers. In the past, dogs that displayed this trait were culled. It only makes sense. When dog fighting was legal, 2 "handlers" stood in the pit with the dog. Nobody in their right mind is going to stand in a ring with 2 dogs that want to kill them. Human aggression is rare in APBT's. The problem is that other breeds are lumped under the umbrella. Dogo's and Presa's were bred for protection. They are naturally disposed to some level of human aggression. It's a desirable trait. People don't know the difference and assume they're "pit bulls." Another major issue is the American Bully. American Bullies have fallen victim to poor breeding practices. People breed unsound dogs because they make them money. The dog looks good, is bat s*** crazy and is a cash cow. So, you have all these mutts running around, confused with pit bulls that have major issues. These dogs are the "blue dogs." Blue is an extremely rare color in American Pit Bull Terriers. I've been around these dogs for years and have seen only a few. Blue is the most desirable color in American Bullies.

Why would I want a dog that I know is hard to manage, that I have to be aware of the likelihood that it may display dog aggression? They're absolutely terrific with people. They're loving, loyal, healthy and versatile. They excel in all sports. They're extremely smart. They love children.

Also, MB's dog is an American Straffordshire Terrier. This is the "show" version of the American Pitbull Terrier. They're different dogs with different temperments. AST's are also tremendous dogs that are great with people.

I wish there weren't so many people that owned American Pit Bull Terriers. I wish more people understood the dog's history and temperment. I wish the "it's how you raise them" myth wasn't so popular. BSL is a joke. I might be in favor of licensing though. I'd hate it, but if it produced better and fewer owners of the wonderful breed, I'd be in favor.

Pit Bull chat. com is a good resource is anybody would like to learn more about the breed.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I've been an American Pit Bull Terrier owner for years. As MexSoxFan said, most people don't even know what a Pit Bull really is. They aren't a large breed. They usually range between 20-60 lbs. Most people confuse the dogs with American Bullies and they all get lumped under the "pit bull" umbrella.

People need to understand there is a difference between dog aggression and human aggression. American Pit Bull Terriers are pre-disposed to dog aggression. That doesn't mean every ABPT wants to kill other dogs, but they were specifically bred for 200 years for dog on dog combat. As a responsible pit bull owner, I understand this trait and don't set my dogs up to fail by allowing them to "play" with other dogs. Pit bulls don't need to doggie friends. They crave human interaction. Collies want to herd. Labs want to swim. Dobies want to guard. Pit bulls want to fight. The number one problem for pit bull advocates is the "fur mommies" who believe "it's all how you raise them." This sets the dog up for failure. Somebody gets a pit bull. It's the sweetest dog ever, because it loves humans. They allow it to play with their other dog. They leave the house and come home to a mess. Or, they take it to the dog park and they have a mess. Again, not every pit bull is dog aggressive. However, one should treat their dog as if it is, because 200 years of selective breeding is a powerful thing.

Human aggression is not/has never/will never be a desirable trait in American Pit Bull Terriers. In the past, dogs that displayed this trait were culled. It only makes sense. When dog fighting was legal, 2 "handlers" stood in the pit with the dog. Nobody in their right mind is going to stand in a ring with 2 dogs that want to kill them. Human aggression is rare in APBT's. The problem is that other breeds are lumped under the umbrella. Dogo's and Presa's were bred for protection. They are naturally disposed to some level of human aggression. It's a desirable trait. People don't know the difference and assume they're "pit bulls." Another major issue is the American Bully. American Bullies have fallen victim to poor breeding practices. People breed unsound dogs because they make them money. The dog looks good, is bat s*** crazy and is a cash cow. So, you have all these mutts running around, confused with pit bulls that have major issues. These dogs are the "blue dogs." Blue is an extremely rare color in American Pit Bull Terriers. I've been around these dogs for years and have seen only a few. Blue is the most desirable color in American Bullies.

Why would I want a dog that I know is hard to manage, that I have to be aware of the likelihood that it may display dog aggression? They're absolutely terrific with people. They're loving, loyal, healthy and versatile. They excel in all sports. They're extremely smart. They love children.

Also, MB's dog is an American Straffordshire Terrier. This is the "show" version of the American Pitbull Terrier. They're different dogs with different temperments. AST's are also tremendous dogs that are great with people.

I wish there weren't so many people that owned American Pit Bull Terriers. I wish more people understood the dog's history and temperment. I wish the "it's how you raise them" myth wasn't so popular. BSL is a joke. I might be in favor of licensing though. I'd hate it, but if it produced better and fewer owners of the wonderful breed, I'd be in favor.

Pit Bull chat. com is a good resource is anybody would like to learn more about the breed.

I used to post on Pit Bull Chat, but I used to get into a lot of arguments with the pro-fighting dog crowd.

I understand the history of the pit bull and the original dogmen that created this breed and the need to see if your dog has game but at the same time, I'm against the brutality these dogs inflicted others in the pit. I'm dead set against dog matching. I used to argue with another poster who would argue that you need to let dogs do what they were bred to do and I would counter with "well, Mastiffs were created by the Roman Empire army to maul humans, should we let them go ahead and maul humans?" lol.

Anyways, great to see a fellow APBT owner who knows the breed :cheers

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
I used to post on Pit Bull Chat, but I used to get into a lot of arguments with the pro-fighting dog crowd.

I understand the history of the pit bull and the original dogmen that created this breed and the need to see if your dog has game but at the same time, I'm against the brutality these dogs inflicted others in the pit. I'm dead set against dog matching. I used to argue with another poster who would argue that you need to let dogs do what they were bred to do and I would counter with "well, Mastiffs were created by the Roman Empire army to maul humans, should we let them go ahead and maul humans?" lol.

Anyways, great to see a fellow APBT owner who knows the breed :cheers

Yeah, that's why I don't post over there, outside of the occasional 1 liner. The stickies are a pretty good resource, and that's about it. Too many people want to bury their heads in the sand and act like the breed isn't what it is. However, I don't know how anybody can actually advocate dog fighting in this day and age.

Edited by TaylorStSox