Mark Buehrle's dog not allowed to move with him

BigSqwert

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Do APBTs show aggression toward siblings too? I know my sister's labs wrestle around with each other, but never with intent to injure.

Primarily just curious.

My two Danes will roughhouse together, especially right now, as they are both reaching physical maturity and beginning to sort out who will be the Alpha, but as soon as one makes any sign of pain or showing submission, the other immediately stops and backs off.

With my parents' Irish Wolfhounds though, I have seen them really go after one another to the point where you're not sure when one of them will let up.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
My two Danes will roughhouse together, especially right now, as they are both reaching physical maturity and beginning to sort out who will be the Alpha, but as soon as one makes any sign of pain or showing submission, the other immediately stops and backs off.

With my parents' Irish Wolfhounds though, I have seen them really go after one another to the point where you're not sure when one of them will let up.

That sounds terrifying. That's like 2 werewolves wrestling.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
That sounds terrifying. That's like 2 werewolves wrestling.

For real. One cannot comprehend how huge a Irish Wolfhound is until you see one up close. And those dogs are proportional too, just big strong dogs.

When I delivered pizzas in college I delivered to this tiny trailer, and the lady answered the door with her wolfhound standing next to her. I was astounded that A: he was 18 months old and probably at her shoulders just standing there, and B: she was living in a trailer with a dog that large.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
For real. One cannot comprehend how huge a Irish Wolfhound is until you see one up close. And those dogs are proportional too, just big strong dogs.

When I delivered pizzas in college I delivered to this tiny trailer, and the lady answered the door with her wolfhound standing next to her. I was astounded that A: he was 18 months old and probably at her shoulders just standing there, and B: she was living in a trailer with a dog that large.

My Danes are 50% "Euro" and 50% "American" Great Danes. Their father is 100% Euro, which basically means they were crossbred at some point with Mastiffs. He is a freaking monster.

My first Dane takes after is mother, who is 100% American, and is very tall and lean. He's about 37 inches at the withers, but probably only 120 pounds or so. My second Danes takes after his father. He's probably 35 inches tall but is just pure muscle. He'll probably end up around 150 pounds (and I keep him about as lean as possible).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
My Danes are 50% "Euro" and 50% "American" Great Danes. Their father is 100% Euro, which basically means they were crossbred at some point with Mastiffs. He is a freaking monster.

My first Dane takes after is mother, who is 100% American, and is very tall and lean. He's about 37 inches at the withers, but probably only 120 pounds or so. My second Danes takes after his father. He's probably 35 inches tall but is just pure muscle. He'll probably end up around 150 pounds (and I keep him about as lean as possible).

Wow those are big f***ing dogs.

I really like reading these dog owner stories, though I definitely wouldn't get a dog that big.

As to the dog ban stuff, in general I don't think municipalities should have any ban, but I'm cool with individual condos or subdivisions or something not allowing certain breeds (or even dogs altogether, if they want).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
Why is it when I attend a UFC fight or boxing match, the majority of the fighters are really big & in shape guys who could kick my ass?

It's a lie that they are inherently dangerous

#1 Because they have the best chance to be successful. And Pit Bulls have the best chance to be successful at fighting. What tools would they need to be successful? Powerful jaws, deadly bite, ability to take the pain, aggression.

#2 You didn't answer, so I guess we agree here as well, Thank you.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
#1 Because they have the best chance to be successful. And Pit Bulls have the best chance to be successful at fighting. What tools would they need to be successful? Powerful jaws, deadly bite, ability to take the pain, aggression.

#2 You didn't answer, so I guess we agree here as well, Thank you.

That is not necessarily true at all. At some point a group of people determined that this was a potential breed that could be "altered" to serve this purpose. It certainly does not mean that Pit Bulls should be singled out as some menacing killing machine. Did you read any of the posts they made yesterday about average, ordinary Pit Bulls?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
That is not necessarily true at all. At some point a group of people determined that this was a potential breed that could be "altered" to serve this purpose. It certainly does not mean that Pit Bulls should be singled out as some menacing killing machine. Did you read any of the posts they made yesterday about average, ordinary Pit Bulls?

Yes I did. I am just rejecting the "dogs don't kill, people kill" argument. When society abuses something, guns, driving speeds, working conditions, you name it, society has an obligation to protect itself. As a responsible gun owner I accept that guns are potentially dangerous weapons and certain types need special regulations. I view certain breeds of dogs the same way.

To use an extreme example, I could be a responsible gunowner with a M256 smoothbore cannon, typical on an M1 tank, but I don't think we should allow them unregulated. I believe if we were to pick the most dangerous dog breed, these would qualfy and I see no hypocrisy on my part in suggesting if we are to regulate breeds, this would be the place to start.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
Yes I did. I am just rejecting the "dogs don't kill, people kill" argument. When society abuses something, guns, driving speeds, working conditions, you name it, society has an obligation to protect itself. As a responsible gun owner I accept that guns are potentially dangerous weapons and certain types need special regulations. I view certain breeds of dogs the same way.

To use an extreme example, I could be a responsible gunowner with a M256 smoothbore cannon, typical on an M1 tank, but I don't think we should allow them unregulated. I believe if we were to pick the most dangerous dog breed, these would qualfy and I see no hypocrisy on my part in suggesting if we are to regulate breeds, this would be the place to start.

Well, a few points...first of all, this is not a inanimate object, this is an animal. I don't think it's as easy as saying "we should ban them." Secondly, while I agree that some animals are not safe in areas of civilization, such as lions and tigers, etc., the answer is not for the community to make an ignorant decision on which breeds to ban because it is the easiest solution.

A part-pitbull had my dog's head in his mouth once without being provoked. My guy was minding his own business. I was down on the ground trying to pry his mouth apart. The other owner was screaming "baby, baby", I guess that is the code for him to back down. I was as horrified as I have ever been in my life. No one will convince me pitbulls won't turn on you at the drop of a hat, not their fault per se, but the breeding IMO has made them unpredictable. My dog is a 16 lb. Cavalier King Charles who never bothers anyone. My dog was alright, a few wounds. It was really quick. He does bark at pitbulls when he sees them on the street now, and I don't go within 30 feet of them when I'm with him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)

These sound like the kinds of dogs that terrify me. I like my dogs under 50 pounds.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
A part-pitbull had my dog's head in his mouth once without being provoked. My guy was minding his own business. I was down on the ground trying to pry his mouth apart. The other owner was screaming "baby, baby", I guess that is the code for him to back down. I was as horrified as I have ever been in my life. No one will convince me pitbulls won't turn on you at the drop of a hat, not their fault per se, but the breeding IMO has made them unpredictable. My dog is a 16 lb. Cavalier King Charles who never bothers anyone. My dog was alright, a few wounds. It was really quick. He does bark at pitbulls when he sees them on the street now, and I don't go within 30 feet of them when I'm with him.

Yeah, ultimately, it boils down to what Rock said...dogs are animals. The more physically capable one is of harming another living being, the more dangerous they are, regardless of how well-trained they are.

My oldest Dane has a thing about little white fluffy dogs. For whatever reason, he wants to pick them up in his mouth like a stuffed animal. While some people find this humorous, the owners of little white fluffy dogs do not. As soon as I see one, I grab my dog and remove him from the area. But you can never be certain what might happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
Yeah, ultimately, it boils down to what Rock said...dogs are animals. The more physically capable one is of harming another living being, the more dangerous they are, regardless of how well-trained they are.

My oldest Dane has a thing about little white fluffy dogs. For whatever reason, he wants to pick them up in his mouth like a stuffed animal. While some people find this humorous, the owners of little white fluffy dogs do not. As soon as I see one, I grab my dog and remove him from the area. But you can never be certain what might happen.

My dog wants to smash those little dogs with both her front paws in some sort of a way to play with them. Unfortunately since she is so strong it scares the s*** out of everyone. So like a good owner I keep her away from those situations.

The story on here about the pitbull basically wanting to eat that other dog is scary. How did you finally get the dog's head out of the pitbull's mouth? Weren't you scared as you tried to pry the pitbull's jaws open?

On another topic, I've heard grayhounds, the dogs that race, as some of the nicest dogs out there. Is that true? Has anybody owned one? Do they just run and run and run?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
On another topic, I've heard grayhounds, the dogs that race, as some of the nicest dogs out there. Is that true? Has anybody owned one? Do they just run and run and run?

We took a puppy training class and the trainers had a Greyhound. She was very timid and shy. They said she was also very sensitive.

They said that another trainer used her as an example of how to walk a dog and used the method where they snap the leash back to "correct" the dog. It took them two weeks to get her to walk on a leash again after that. Needless to say, they didn't use that method when they taught us.

They have a chase instinct more than a running instinct. It's Huskies that love to run and run and run.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
The story on here about the pitbull basically wanting to eat that other dog is scary. How did you finally get the dog's head out of the pitbull's mouth? Weren't you scared as you tried to pry the pitbull's jaws open?

Grayhounds actually prefer to sleep, sleep, sleep. They have no endurance and not a ton of energy. They are good racing dogs but overall very calm and docile as a pet and spend most of their time just laying in your bed.

Huskies/Boxers/Some labs have a TON more need to exercise.

I went to a program at out local greyhound track about adopting retired racers and they did seem like great pets for people who do *not* want cuddly dogs. They claim since most of the dogs spent their time away from humans they basically wanted to be left alone. They also seemed to go out of the way to say that some dogs were culled from the adoption process because of anti-social behaviors, etc.

People need to understand that with dog breeds form follows function. Pit bulls weren't selected for dog fighting because they fit a certain physical/mental criteria. They fit that criteria because they were purposely bred for dog fighting. The name American Pit Bull Terrier shows this. Pit = dog fighting ring. Bull = Bulldog lineage which gives them the bite/hold/shake which is a trait unique to bull dogs. Terrier = Terrier lineage which makes them tenacious, aggressive and fearless. This is the same for all "sporting/working" breeds. Greyhounds look the way they do because they were selectively bred to be the ultimate racing dog. With pit bulls, the selective breeding also resulted in a dog that's tremendous towards humans despite their aggression towards other dogs, which makes them great pets for people that understand and have experience with the breed. Adoption agencies do the breed a great disservice by adopting the dogs out to every fur mommy that wants to save a dog.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
We took a puppy training class and the trainers had a Greyhound. She was very timid and shy. They said she was also very sensitive.

They said that another trainer used her as an example of how to walk a dog and used the method where they snap the leash back to "correct" the dog. It took them two weeks to get her to walk on a leash again after that. Needless to say, they didn't use that method when they taught us.

They have a chase instinct more than a running instinct. It's Huskies that love to run and run and run.

Greyhounds are bred for prey drive. That's why it's probably a bad idea to adopt one with a cat. These type of homes do work, however, the dog was bred to chase small animals.