Sox expected to add 4 to 40 man roster

southsider2k5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the protection rules change in the new CBA? Anyone know what the current rules are for service years and age for needing protection?

--Phegley has 4 minor league years, though his draft year may only count partially. He'll be 25 in 2013.

--Rienzo same - 4 years' service, will be 25

--Mitchell has just 3 years of actual playing time, because he missed all of 2010 (and one of his 3 years was his draft year). He'll be 24.

--Rodriguez has 6 years and will be 25

As I understand it... Santos Rodriguez should be a minor league FA, so I think they can just sign him to a minor league deal, unless someone else signs him to a deal. I don't think the can protect him per se, they need to sign him again.

Why does Mitchell need protecting at 24 with 3 years in?

Phegley and Rienzo are in the same boat, 4 and 25 next year... those two make sense to me. But the other two, I don't get.

Actually it looks like Shirek got added as well to make it 39. I do have to imagine that Humber is going to be hitting the road here soon though.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Added to White Sox 40-man: OF Jared Mitchell, C Josh Phegley, pitchers Charles Shriek, Santos Rodriguez and Andre Rienzo.

Based on the rules mentioned above (4 years for 19 and older, 5 for younger)... here is a list of guys who showed up in the last FS top prospects list (anyone who received votes), who are NOT protected as of now, and could be exposed...

Brady Shoemaker

Dan Remenowsky

Dan Black

Juan Silverio

Kyle Bellamy*

I am not sure about Bellamy, since he missed an entire season due to injury (2011), so he may get another year. No other big names in the list, though Juan Silverio was once highly touted (and infamously signed).

Silverio is eligible for the minor league Rule V, having never played above A+. Same with Dan Black. Shoemaker and Remenowsky have both played up to AAA (though Shoemaker really is an AA guy), so I think (Correct me if I am wrong) that they are only eligible for the major league portion of the Rule V. I doubt anyone would take that gamble on either of them, if they have to be placed on the 25 man roster.

I googled the rules, but it is hard to decipher the minor league vs major league portions. Unless maybe the minor league portion is gone? In that case, I doubt any of these guys is a threat to be picked.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Actually it looks like Shirek got added as well to make it 39. I do have to imagine that Humber is going to be hitting the road here soon though.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Added to White Sox 40-man: OF Jared Mitchell, C Josh Phegley, pitchers Charles Shriek, Santos Rodriguez and Andre Rienzo.

Shirek had a pretty big year last year. Not just in results, but the fact that he maintained the results throughout the season - that was something he wasn't doing in years past (which is why I and others figured him for the bullpen). He's got a mid-90's fastball with downward movement, and breaking pitches that he locates well. He is a ground ball pitcher, which is a good fit for The Cell. Depending on how trades go this offseason, if a slot opens up, he may challenge for a bullpen slot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Based on the rules mentioned above (4 years for 19 and older, 5 for younger)... here is a list of guys who showed up in the last FS top prospects list (anyone who received votes), who are NOT protected as of now, and could be exposed...

Brady Shoemaker

Dan Remenowsky

Dan Black

Juan Silverio

Kyle Bellamy*

I am not sure about Bellamy, since he missed an entire season due to injury (2011), so he may get another year. No other big names in the list, though Juan Silverio was once highly touted (and infamously signed).

Silverio is eligible for the minor league Rule V, having never played above A+. Same with Dan Black. Shoemaker and Remenowsky have both played up to AAA (though Shoemaker really is an AA guy), so I think (Correct me if I am wrong) that they are only eligible for the major league portion of the Rule V. I doubt anyone would take that gamble on either of them, if they have to be placed on the 25 man roster.

I googled the rules, but it is hard to decipher the minor league vs major league portions. Unless maybe the minor league portion is gone? In that case, I doubt any of these guys is a threat to be picked.

I'm pretty sure there is no extra protection or time for anyone who had a serious injury.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Also reading between the lines here, this means good-bye to AJ, and leaves a spot open for a 3B.

If the only move is signing a 3b, then the Sox aren't serious about competing again. As much as I may like this team, the Tigers are going to be even stronger next season and we are already playing catch up.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
If the only move is signing a 3b, then the Sox aren't serious about competing again. As much as I may like this team, the Tigers are going to be even stronger next season and we are already playing catch up.

No matter what they say, they aren't going to compete next year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)

As long as Peavy and Sale are healthy, they have a legitimate top of the line front end of their rotation. As a whole, the starting pitching, again, assuming health, should keep this team in most games.

It's looking likely, assuming Youkalis is gone, that the White Sox are going to have major issues offensively getting men on base so I really hope they surprise us with some creative ways to improve that area of the offense. Right now, not including 3B, there are issues with the players at SS/2B/LF/C in getting on base and that list could grow to include 3B and Paul Konerko - for this team to truly compete next year, they can't be as dependent on home runs as they have been.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)

They got no shot at beating Detroit next year..........V.Martinez is back in the lineup, Detroit will be stacked.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)

This just isn't true. While I agree that it is most likely that the Tigers will win, any team that projects for 80 wins is a couple injuries and a hot streak from making the playoffs.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
This just isn't true. While I agree that it is most likely that the Tigers will win, any team that projects for 80 wins is a couple injuries and a hot streak from making the playoffs.

Depending on what the Tigers do this winter, they stand as a 90 win team right now. If they can lock down some pitching, they moves them into the 95 win range. That is a huge margin to make up, depending just on some luck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Depending on what the Tigers do this winter, they stand as a 90 win team right now. If they can lock down some pitching, they moves them into the 95 win range. That is a huge margin to make up, depending just on some luck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Yeah, how'd that work out?

Everyone (except some of us on this board) thought the Tigers were going to win that many games this year, too. Instead, they won 88 and gpot in only because our Sox totally crapped the bed and lost 11 of 13 down the stretch.

We didn't win it this year, but we absolutely contended. In fact, we had it in the bag and blew it. We very easily could have played .500 ball toward the end and gotten in.

You're right, the Tigers are gonna be a lot better. I think our chances are worse next year than they were this year. But it's not at all implausible that we could win the division, even if it isn't the most likely outcome.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Everyone (except some of us on this board) thought the Tigers were going to win that many games this year, too. Instead, they won 88 and gpot in only because our Sox totally crapped the bed and lost 11 of 13 down the stretch.

We didn't win it this year, but we absolutely contended. In fact, we had it in the bag and blew it. We very easily could have played .500 ball toward the end and gotten in.

You're right, the Tigers are gonna be a lot better. I think our chances are worse this year than next. But it's not at all implausible that we could win the division, even if it isn't the most likely outcome.

So in conclusion, the Tigers had a bad year, the Sox had a good year, and we still finished 3 games back. The Sox are probably losing key players from their starting line up, while the Tigers are adding at least Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez. I am thinking the odds are pretty small. Like in the 5 to 10% range.